Minimum Yeast Sediment.?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roverfj1200

Reaction score
I am going to try and make up some CPA stubbies with little sediment to be drunk straight from the bottle. Most of my tallies have a heavy cover of sediment but are drunk from a glass so no worries.

Idea is to CC the fermenter to say 2 deg fill stubbies with one carb drop and return to the fridge at say 15 deg for carb up (2 weeks)

This will be with the CPA from a tin fermented with S-04 yeast.

Any other ideas.

Cheers.

I am going to try and make up some CPA stubbies with little sediment to be drunk straight from the bottle. Most of my tallies have a heavy cover of sediment but are drunk from a glass so no worries.

Idea is to CC the fermenter to say 2 deg fill stubbies with one carb drop and return to the fridge at say 15 deg for carb up (2 weeks)

I cold condition at 2'c generally from a sunday to a friday, sometimes longer, I bulk prime so I also get to rack it off the cake before going to the bottle. I find I do not need to add gelatine or any other finings with this method and can pour to the bottom of the bottle with little stirring of the sediment. I generally do not bottle stubbies, I do however have an army of Grolsch stubbies that I use but I always pour to the glass.. I get so little sediment these days that I find it doesnt matter. The CC is generally enough for me.

can I ask why S-04? I freakin hate this yeast and find that it can have trouble finishing... the only brew Ive tipped was with S-04.

Yob

[quote name='iamozziyob' date='Dec 27 2011, 08:30 AM' post='859184

can I ask why S-04? I freakin hate this yeast and find that it can have trouble finishing... the only brew Ive tipped was with S-04.

Yob
[/quote]

Only good ale yeast the LHB has would use S-23 but stocks are low and want to fill a few botles. I have had trouble with the first use of 04 not finishing well. But second time round it goes well. Going to ferment high around 22 deg to see if I get some fruit flavours...Just playing I guess..

Any other ideas.

Cheers.

+1 on what iamozziyob said about S-04.

Unless that is all that you had, I cant understand why you would even use that yeast. Next time for a more authentic CPA try and re-culture the dregs from a 6 pack of coopers pale ale. It tastes more like original, and the yeast usually drops out really well when cold conditioning for a few days, leaving very little sediment in the bottle.

Edit: S-23 is a lager yeast, unless you can ferment at cold temps i wouldn't bother and IMHO i don't think it would work very well at all with style your going for. Personally if re-culturing dregs is out of your league, i wouldve just used the kit yeast.

S04 in the early 20s is a great yeast. The mistake a lot of people make is to treat it like US05 and ferment at 17 or 18C.

At 24C it hauls arse and produces heaps of fruitiness - which is why you'd use it in the first place.

If you want to make Coopers PA in stubbies ... use CPA's yeast. Buy three fresh longnecks and read the "culturing" thread.

S04 in the early 20s is a great yeast. The mistake a lot of people make is to treat it like US05 and ferment at 17 or 18C.

At 24C it hauls arse and produces heaps of fruitiness - which is why you'd use it in the first place.

If you want to make Coopers PA in stubbies ... use CPA's yeast. Buy three fresh longnecks and read the "culturing" thread.

+1

Couldnt agree more. Perfectly good yeast if treated right but I wouldn't use it in place of re-cultured CPA yeast for a CPA.

All good advice.. Have used the CPA yeast before. But it took ages to finish and didn't leave a good flavor. What temp do you all ferment with the CPA yeast. I had it at about 18 deg but my fermenting fridge with fluctuate 2 deg or so.

Cheers

All good advice.. Have used the CPA yeast before. But it took ages to finish and didn't leave a good flavor. What temp do you all ferment with the CPA yeast. I had it at about 18 deg but my fermenting fridge with fluctuate 2 deg or so.

Cheers

If your coopers yeast took ages to finish then I'd suggest that you either had terrible yeast health or something similar. Coopers yeast works amazingly quick and can ferment at quite low temps.

I had a beer at 1050 reach final gravity of 1010 in under 24 hours after pitching to a coopers yeast cake.

Coopers yeast works amazingly quick and can ferment at quite low temps.

I had a beer at 1050 reach final gravity of 1010 in under 24 hours after pitching to a coopers yeast cake.

I agree with the first comment but... if you pitch to a whole yeast cake you will be massivly over pitching..

MR MALTY YEAST PITCHING CALCULATOR

To note: Viability date is taken from end of fermentation activity and if harvesting slurry you have to know this date.

there may be 300-500 ml of compact slurry at the end of a ferment including dead cells and general trub... I personally do not want to put a new beer onto any rubbish or dead cells.. but thats me

edit: I generally get in the range of 50-70ml of compact cleaned yeast to re-pitch using the above calculator and knowing my viability date

Cheers

As suggested above yeast health could have been the problem, remember you are reculturing yeast with some degree of questionable quality (bottle age and handling etc) so the amount of healthy yeast cells is an unknown quantity.

Therefore you need a good size active starter that you know is up an firing - definitely look at the reculturing link.

Also i always ferment this yeast at 16-17C and have never had the notorious banana ester flavours this yeast can throw at 18 and over.

Just did this 2 weeks ago with an Aussie mild beer and all be it with a starting gtavity of only 1.038 it took 3-4 days to ferment out with yeast from 2 coopers stubbies and a stepped 3L starter begining with 100ml and adding from there.

Cheers,
BB

I agree with the first comment but... if you pitch to a whole yeast cake you will be massivly over pitching..

MR MALTY YEAST PITCHING CALCULATOR

To note: Viability date is taken from end of fermentation activity and if harvesting slurry you have to know this date.

there may be 300-500 ml of compact slurry at the end of a ferment including dead cells and general trub... I personally do not want to put a new beer onto any rubbish or dead cells.. but thats me

edit: I generally get in the range of 50-70ml of compact cleaned yeast to re-pitch using the above calculator and knowing my viability date

Bad practice I know, but I was in a bit of a hurry, and hurry I got!

Latest posts

Back