Minimal BIAB RIMS setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSumOfAllBeers

Reaction score
I have a decent pump and I recirculate my mash while it is in the kettle.

I would like to tweak this setup so that I can do step mashes, protein rests etc. That means running the kettle elements with the bag in place, and taking proper temperature readings.

I think I have a bag guard sorted : 2 circular BBQ grills sandwiched with a length of silicone tubing.

What to use for a temp probe though,and how best to use it?

Any other advice? I plan a beer that is all rye - will need the beta glucan rest

I use a RTD probe via a PID controller to control my element and obtain good steady temperature at the mash.I use an urn with a mesh basket to hold the grain and the output from my pump
splits 2 ways to my element and into the mash basket,the temperature probe is mounted directly into a T piece.When using rye the flow across the element when boiling reduces burnt rye build
up on the element.

Just an Idea.
Has anyone used a Microwave oven for their heating element ?
So you put a couple of plastic bulkhead screws in oven wall, connect a few loops of tubing depending on how much you want to heat at a time, turn on pump, turn on microwaves Zap ⚡️ scorch free heating !
I know, mental right.

I think an induction plate with a pot would be better than a microwave as a ghetto RIMS.

I don’t like the idea of compromised microwave shielding.

Why not get an over the side element?

Will let you do a step mash easily, isn't too difficult to clean and you can use/not use whenever you brew.

JD

JD Because you still have the potential to scorch wort with an over the side element.

Although you could use it in a second pot with your IC and do a ghetto HERMS with it

Latest posts

Back