Mini Reg vs Normal for party setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kadmium

Reaction score
Hey guys. So a mate is desperate for a keg of beer in his fridge. I said I'd brew him a keg, and I was thinking a picnic tap with a regulator and some gas. To pay for the beer he will buy the regulator (which ever I decide) so I'm tossing up between getting a 2.6kg bottle and a normal reg or a mini reg that takes the 16g bulbs.

I already have a big cylinder (6kg) for my own keg setup so this would really be for portable dispensing.

I have a big rubber maid round esky like you see at the NFL which I plan on popping a keg in with ice. Not interested in a jockeybox tbh.

So, would you go a small one or a normal setup for portable? Plan on taking camping etc too so would love some feedback on peoples experience with the mini regulators. Especially over an extended period of time.

Haven't tried Kegland's new mini 360 reg, but in my experiences of all the other mini regs, they are shit and fiddly and never work properly. For the price of a proper reg and a 2.6kg gas bottle, I would definitely go that way.

Whenever I take beer in kegs/minikegs to whereever I now always take my big reg and 2.6kg.

Hahahahah, I love the last option! Something about a bunch of guys, alone... in the woods..

Yeah, I think that's a good point. I will just go with a full size reg, probably end up with the MK IV from KL over the MK III and get a bump guard for it. Much more economical.

Hey guys. So a mate is desperate for a keg of beer in his fridge. I said I'd brew him a keg, and I was thinking a picnic tap with a regulator and some gas. To pay for the beer he will buy the regulator (which ever I decide) so I'm tossing up between getting a 2.6kg bottle and a normal reg or a mini reg that takes the 16g bulbs.

I already have a big cylinder (6kg) for my own keg setup so this would really be for portable dispensing.

I have a big rubber maid round esky like you see at the NFL which I plan on popping a keg in with ice. Not interested in a jockeybox tbh.

So, would you go a small one or a normal setup for portable? Plan on taking camping etc too so would love some feedback on peoples experience with the mini regulators. Especially over an extended period of time.

Hey mate, what are the internal dimensions for the cooler? I'm guessing you're not able to close the lid with the keg in it?

Yeah it's one of those orange american type eskies (my old mash tun)

Hahahahah, I love the last option! Something about a bunch of guys, alone... in the woods..

Yeah, I think that's a good point. I will just go with a full size reg, probably end up with the MK IV from KL over the MK III and get a bump guard for it. Much more economical.
What happens in the woods, stays in the woods 😂

How many gallon is it? As I looked at the 10gal it didn't seem it would be able to fit a keg with the lid closed.
1602549319286.png

I have a mini-reg that I got when I bought my 5L mini-keg. I don't use the mini-keg much anymore, but I still use the mini-reg with a soda-stream bottle & adapter. Use it all the time and has been fine for the last year or so.

I wouldn't recommend a min-reg if it was going to be your only regulator, purely based on how many people have had trouble with them in the past. But it's really nice to be able to grab the little soda-stream/mini reg for a portable setup or to do something away from your main CO2 bottle.

It's the quality of the time that matters.

It may have only been an hour before I pulled out.....but didn't hear you complaining.

Now back to the topic of Mini-regs....before I have to moderate myself
Ohh were you in?

Ok ok, that's enough from me too!

I agree with you Grmblz, they are all crap. And all from different suppliers (But are they really!)

I have been using a couple of mini regs for years on soda stream bottles (I have one in the fridge at home and one that I use in an esky of ice when at our beach place)
I also use a full size reg on a soda stream bottle in my brew house for extra gas when needed
All work fine but the mini reg on the soda stream bottle is great for where space is limited

I have been using a couple of mini regs for years on soda stream bottles (I have one in the fridge at home and one that I use in an esky of ice when at our beach place)
I also use a full size reg on a soda stream bottle in my brew house for extra gas when needed
All work fine but the mini reg on the soda stream bottle is great for where space is limited
Do you mind if I ask what brand mini reg you have?
Most of the posts here aren’t very flattering but the size benefit is really swaying me to get one

Latest posts

Back