Mini Lauter Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Borret

Crazy Eye's Brewery
Reaction score
Hey all,

Been a bit of discussion on Grumpys about the mini mash and mini all grain. Thought I'd throw on some photo's of the little tun I made for doing partials. Was welding up some stainless T pieces for my 50 lt mash tun I'm building and so made one with a long leg while I was at it to fit to this 5 litre bucket I got from bunnings. The stainlees tune is 12mmOD, 9mm ID with half inch stainless braid attached and a pvc hose pushed on the outside. Seal tot eh bucket with a standard airlock grommet. Haven't tried it yet and will probably do the mash in the metal pot and laddle it in for lautering but cost me 6 bucks all up and it should be better than a sieve. If I need more capacity it should still work alright ina 10 lt bucket as well.

Anybody do anything similar to this or have I gone to far?

Borret

tunoutside.jpg
tuninside.jpg

borret, not at all mate. your not alone in doing this :)

i still use my 'mini' fermenters every now and then.

A couple of comments.

Add some sort of insulation around the outside, so the temp stays up at your sparge water. Bubblewrap will do the job. Or fit the lot iinto a cardboard box, and pack with crumpled newspaper. I used a 20 litre bucket with a manifold for a long time, worked fine.

Make sure you have a tap on the outelt so you control the runoff rate.

Keep up the good work Borret.

I don't have a lauter tun yet and am using a little esky for a mini mash tun. When I do get around to making/buying a lauter or mash/lauter tun, I might skip the manifold and just have some form of filter over the tap, as I won't be fly sparging.

POL

I have some polethelene foam sheet ( the closed cell spungy stuff) that I was going to wrap around it. Should do the job.
I had thought about a tap but was considering using an ajustable clamp on the hose. If this doesn't work then I will source a tap. Haven't seen a cheap inline food grade tap yet so if you have some idea's it's be good. May be ablt to bodgy a fermentor tap somehow or a irrigation one bu theya re not food grade.

Cheers

Borret.

I followed the advice of tdh aka GT on Grumpys forum, scrounged a couple of 5 litre buckets from the bakery and drilled a bazillion holes in the bottom of one with my smallest drill bit but one. Seriously, no shit I reckon there must be a thousand holes in it. That's the inner bucket. Bought a tap from the hbs for the outer bucket and called it a mash/lauter tun. Could always do the same with 10 litre bucket.

Limitations:
Maxes out at a shade over 2kg of grain unless you settle for a stiff mash.
Needs to be well wrapped up and heated beforehand to hold mash temperatures.
Has a dead space of about a litre below the false bottom.

But it works and it cost me a few dollars and an hour in front of the telly with a cordless drill.

For a mini mash or a small experimental brew I've got a 15 L round esky from Kmart for about $30. Keeps the temp nicely.

For those who are interested.
I did an upgrade on the little tun and gave it a big brother to handle the grain billof my first partial. So now I have a ten litre one as well. A standard length of 450mm long braid fitted on perfectly for this size bucket.
twins.jpg10lt.jpg

Also, POL thanks for the advice on controlling the flow. I made the below clamp to crimp to go over the hose and do the job and I would have been lost without it. Even a a half a turn on the 6mm thread on one side made the difference between clear runoff and some small globs getting through. Worked a treat. I will look into some insulation before the next brew.
clamp.jpg

First Partial was on Saturday and was a wiezen bier which I was a bit dubious about cause of the stuck mash problems I have read about with wheat but it was not a prob. I'll put some shots here too of my proud efforts. I mashed in the stainless boiler in the oven and lautered and sparged in the bucket. Even snuck in a ferulic acid rest for the yeasties for 30min. Finished with 15 litres at 1049 OG and 16 IBU from 2kg of various grains and 1 kg wheat LME and tettnanger hops. Cold pitched with wyeast 3068 at 16 deg and slowly brought up to 19. Looks promising so far.

lauter.jpgmash.jpg
fullset.jpgfull.jpg

Cheers

Borret

One of the cheaper ideas for insulation is to use a camping mats, the high density foam things. They can be bought from el cheapo shops for a couple of dollars.
Just wrap them around the pot/bucket

Slugger.
I added a couple of litres of 80 deg water to the mash once it was into the tun which brought it up to mid 70 for mash out. May have dropped a little over the lauter. Then again another 7 litres of 80 deg for the second runnings. Seemed to be OK but obviously would be better insultaed.
I might hot wire cut (same as I use for cutting foam cores for model aeroplane wings) a polystyrene nest for it to sit inn and a lid. Will see what materials I have lying around.

Cheers
Borret

Latest posts

Back