Mini Keg Growler EOI

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow..... that is an eye opening review.... I'll be considering that if this migrates from an EOI. I think based on this getting the one without dispenser and then adding some corny fittings directly to the lid with a dip tube might be a better solution than the dispenser referred to!

If the price is good enough, I could justify buying one and modifying it with a better tap.

Hey guys,
New to the board, came across it because of a spike in traffic to my site originating from here... Now I see why.

I am the owner of www.ikegger.com where the original post linked to, I can give you a bit of advice about these units as there are some differences between the various chinese companies providing them.
I'll say straight off the bat that yes of course retailers mark up prices, we have to organise shipping, packaging, storage, logistics, custom clearances, refunds, warranty issues etc etc
I'll also say that we would be happy to offer a substantial discount for an order the size of the one that this is shaping up to be, the same as we do to our wholesale customers like The Local Taphouse and Frankies here in Sydney and Campari in Perth (yeah that campari, they use them for pre-mixed cocktails for events)
We would also be happy to try and group shipments around the country to reduce postage costs.

Crunched is correct in that many of them available on aliexpress are junk, the steel is crap and the taps virtually useless.
If you want to organise this yourselves through this board the first thing and easiest thing to look out for is part of the spear, there are 2 main types all over alibaba / aliexpress only one of which has the pressure release valve like you can see on our products (little metal ring poking off the top)
Without this the tapping unit is virtually worthless as you can't bleed out oxygen (when filling) or excess pressure without opening the tap and spraying your delicious beer everywhere.
Yes the taps do get knocked easily but we have found that there is a perfect position to put a rubber band and it virtually eliminates that problem very cheaply and easily.
Crunched is also correct in saying that the larger 4L ones can be awkward to put into an esky if you leave the tap on but as you can just turn the gas off on the regulator and remove the tap for transport (if you have the bleed valve) we haven't found it to be much of an issue.
You can lay down 4 of the 4l in most eskies comfortably and take along a tapping system that you just swap over as you polish off each one (take a couple of the co2 cartridges in your pocket rather than a whole bottle and you've got 16L of fresh tapped cold beer (or 4L of 4 different beers / differently hopped and conditioned brew) in a standard esky.
It does take a while to get used to the tap system as the regulator is so small it can take a fine touch to get it right, and each beer needs a slightly different pressure to pour correctly.
We were playing around the other day and got a quick video of pouring from our 4L which you can see here https://youtu.be/z7n61sD8Gzw

I work at The Local Taphouse, have done for nearly 5 years, you can get our kegs filled there but it's bloody expensive, breweries can sell much cheaper than retailers funnily enough ;-)
I started the company because I love sharing craft beer, not to get rich so if you are interested let me know and I'll give you the best deal I can with the orders you gather, it won't be as cheap as going direct to china, I got to pay the bills somehow, but I will make it as fair as i can.

Cheers all,

David Thackray
www.ikegger.com

Why don't you pm me, or post them here, with the prices you are offering so they can be compared apples for apples. Most people prefer to buy locally, I know I do, where the price is right..

I believe the supplier that I got mine off is the same supplier that ikegger.com got theirs from. Comparing pics, the one I have is identical in design (both the screw-in fitting and the tap), only the reg is different as I opted for one with more control. They're the only ones that I could see that do the relief valve, which if you're going to get one of these things is a must. Not only for the reasons ikegger mentioned, but also due to the fact that these kegs are made with very thin stainless and it would be easy to over-pressure them and rupture them.

I think a better video to show would be after pouring a beer like you have done, then wait for 30mins before pouring another without bleeding the gas first and adjusting the reg. You can get the first pour going ok after playing around with the thing, but then subsequent pours require that you bleed the pressure and slowly feed on pressure to prevent excessive foaming.

I should also say that I'm not trying to do ikegger out of a sale nor stop any of you guys from buying from China, I'm just wanting everyone to know what I didn't before I ordered mine. I think the novelty of these things alone makes them a fun toy to have, but don't expect to be able to take it to a BBQ and let everyone pour their own drinks - there'll be a foaming mess all over the place.

I personally would explore ikegger's offer further instead of going direct. The prices I listed earlier in this thread included freight but didn't include duties etc. And dealing with the supplier to negotiate price can be a long drawn out process. Plus buying from ikegger would be supporting our local guys.

I didn't as I my order was under the threshold, but if I had placed that larger order (for which the prices were quoted) I most certainly would have.

Hi Yob and AHB

I will be completely open here with our costs and prices:

To get a tapping system to our door after all expenses (not including advertising, work hours, repackaging, taking to post office etc) is $92, we charge $100 (it's what grabs peoples attention so we make nothing on it in the hope they purchase more than one keg)
To get the 2L keg here costs in total (not including advertising, work hours, repackaging, taking to post office etc) around $39 and we charge $69
To get a 4L keg here costs in total (not including advertising, work hours, repackaging, taking to post office etc) $57 and we charge $89

We have a shipment of 48 of each keg and tapping system due to arrive tomorrow and the total cost of all the shipping, duties, gst, documentation etc was $1945 or approx $20 per set and quite a few headaches (it was our 1st time importing by sea and it got pretty complicated due to changes in Aust and China laws recently.

We are only a new business and we need to get our name out there as much as possible so would be willing to take a once off $15 discount on each keg.

So tapping system would remain at $100
2L keg would be $54
4L keg would be $74
we would also discount our 2L double wall growler (which to be honest i think is a better product, stays cold for 12 hours, has a ball lock disconnect for the gas, can be counter-pressure filled)
normally $79 it would be $69

We could only afford to do this as a once off so I would just publish a discount code here that would only be valid for 48 hours.
Shipping is calculated automatically on our website but if you wanted to combine orders together and split them yourselves it would work out cheaper for you and easier for us.

I'll let you guys all discuss what option you want to go with, direct from china, etc and then if you want this to go ahead with us post the code in a weeks time?

Cheers and Beers!

Dave

I got mine through moondog i think and it is friken great.. maybe worth contacting them to find out who their supplier is.. mine has no signs or rust yet and looks built very good

Did a post from iKegger get deleted? (by him or by mods?)

Seem to have been hidden, likely having to do with needing to register as a retailer.

yes, the pricing one has been hidden/deleted.

ikegger, please PM me those prices and I can put it in the spread sheet and list later for group consideration when the options are settled in.

Generally a retailer wouldn't 'spruke' in a bulk buy thread, in this particular case Ive not personally minded as it's a possibility that we 'may' head in that direction, time and costing's will determine that in the long run.

Mardoo said:
Seem to have been hidden, likely having to do with needing to register as a retailer.
spot on has been asked previously not to push his product without the status but he chose to do it.

furry muff.. :)

peeps, we have a long way to go to sort out final pricing, Im looking at a different supplier for the ball lock gas attachments and all sorts of time consuming options but need to make sure threads are same size and compatible, I may end up getting a sample of each in to check before we do anything at all yet.. Im approaching this with a reasonable to large amount of caution for us all.

:beer:

Crunched said:
I didn't as I my order was under the threshold, but if I had placed that larger order (for which the prices were quoted) I most certainly would have.
I wonder how they would go with a flow control tap on?

Hi guys

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. Like I said I only came to this board via a link on my website I've had no other contact with it.
The way that Yob was being referred to by other members i assumed he was an admin (that and his 13,000 odd posts) and as he had asked me to post prices here i did so.
Sorry Barls, I wasn't trying to ignore your warning I just thought I had been given the go ahead to give my prices.
I will apply for retailer status now so my post gets restored, but I'm not trying to push my sale, it will work out cheaper if you do it direct with china it can just be a headache and some of them are dodgy.
In fact I know that The Australian Brewery does the 2L kegs at the moment at a price I can't come close to matching (I have no affiliation with them whatsoever) they don't do the 4L or the tapping system and you have to go there to buy them but they bought a huge shipment at the start of last year and are selling them below cost.

Cheers all

Dave

ikegger said:
Hi guys

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. Like I said I only came to this board via a link on my website I've had no other contact with it.
The way that Yob was being referred to by other members i assumed he was an admin (that and his 13,000 odd posts) and as he had asked me to post prices here i did so.
Sorry Barls, I wasn't trying to ignore your warning I just thought I had been given the go ahead to give my prices.
I will apply for retailer status now so my post gets restored, but I'm not trying to push my sale, it will work out cheaper if you do it direct with china it can just be a headache and some of them are dodgy.
In fact I know that The Australian Brewery does the 2L kegs at the moment at a price I can't come close to matching (I have no affiliation with them whatsoever) they don't do the 4L or the tapping system and you have to go there to buy them but they bought a huge shipment at the start of last year and are selling them below cost.

Cheers all

Dave
please send me those prices by PM so I can include them in the spread sheet that will ultimately be developed.

I often buy proucts local to support local but I am also a fiend for bulk buys, one of the things about this type of product,as you alluded to earlier is a warranty, obviously a bit of an issue Ive imported them as no warranty is offered, so once I have the total costs together, both from you and OS suppliers I/we can make that call.

It's still far too early in the piece to be committing one way or another but having the information at hand is essential.

Yob said:
I wonder how they would go with a flow control tap on?
I'm not sure that would help. The plastic flow restrictor is a round piece of plastic that has some holes down the side, which only cause turbulence. Although maybe you could remove it and use a tap with flow control? They're a standard fitting, so a flow control perlick would fit. I'll take some pics when I get home tonight for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back