Mini Keg Discussion / Mods / Show Off - Dedicated Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job, nice sticker adds the pro touch :)

Is that esky from Kmart ?

Yes it was a clearance item at K-Mart, $25.00 I think. Someone here posted them while there where still a few around.

Where does everybody buy the C02 cartridges from? Anybody know of any good deals going about? Thanks

I was wondering about tips for handling minikeg dispensing on their sides? I’ve got a 5 litre one with double ball post spear. Do you need a gas post with a check valve built in - I’m using a mini reg with bulbs. What’s a good tap to make balanced dispensing easy - I’ve been using a picnic on a 1m line but it’s a bit fiddly. How do you avoid yeast pickup - i was thinking about trying to make the dip tube float :)

Merry Christmas!

Definetly get a non return valve. A tap connected directly to the beer post works well and spring loaded makes it easier. Unless fermenting in the keg any yeast should be sucked up in the first 250ml. Most of us drink and enjoy.

Thanks, do I need a flow control tap? If carb pressure is 12 psi, do you vent and turn down the reg to serve?

If your going to buy a tap then yes, I had a normal tap and bought the flow control adaptor to make things easier and maintain the dispensing pressure. If you carbonate the keg at 12psi and then reduce the pressure to serve, your carbonation will drop and the beer will get flatter therefore the flow control tap allows the pressure to stay at 12psi.

Has anyone used one of the premium mini regulators with a large (2.6kg or 6.0kg) gas co2 bottle?
Wonder if it will work ok?
I've got two of the mini regs and using one splitting the gas (sodastream 400g) for 2x5L mini kegs in a fridge/Esky and I've just recently bought my first 19L corny and using another sodastream and the mini reg with that one.

Has anyone used one of the premium mini regulators with a large (2.6kg or 6.0kg) gas co2 bottle?
I've got two of the mini regs and using one splitting the gas (sodastream 400g) for 2x5L mini kegs in a fridge/Esky and I've just recently bought my first 19L corny and using another sodastream and the mini reg with that one.

I haven't, but don't see why it wouldn't work. The problem will be with fitting the reg to the bottle (problem being expense/hassle of obtaining the parts). Let us know how you go and if it's possible. (possible to get the parts).

Will do. There is a great pnumatic shop near me and I've bought some fitting from them before to convert the mini reg swivel to a Barb fitting.
I might drop in tomorrow

I added a barb to my reg so I could use it to carb a keg while dispensing from another.It was the only one they had in (Auto 1)and wasn't a perfect fit,so had to run over the thread with a die for a better fit.
mini reg.jpg 111.jpg
Or you could use this which wasn't available at the time.
http://www.beerkat.com.au/product/t30-gas-bottle-adapter/

I used one with a full sized bottle adapter for a short while when I was sorting out my full sized reg and it seemed to work fine.

Unrelated to that, my mini reg has gone out of calibration a while ago and reads about 3-4psi disconnected - anyone know how to manually adjust the dial calibration?

Thats an inlet adaptor to fit 74g C02 - Normally airgun cylinders.
We have soda stream adaptors that fit the inlet adaptor so you can use SS gas

Hahaha - thanks guys didn't realise you had all replied.

I think I've lost my paintball adaptor???... I ordered a soda stream adaptor for my 5L beerkat ages ago and I just tried to use ...but no paintball adaptor fitting:(

Do I contact the BK website to order one? I can't see them listed seperately on the site.
ATM all I've got is a screw in catridge connector.
adaptor soda stream.PNG

What are people’s cleaning approach to the double ended spear? Do you take off the posts and dunk in sodium perc, line and sanitise after each 5L, or... :)

The manual talks about tightening the nut on the underneath of the spear for the beer post. Is that something to take off during cleaning?

How often do you replace the silicon dip tube?

Cheers,
B

And yet another question :)

I’m having trouble with my double ender pressure relief valve. The 5L keg kept losing pressure when left at 12psi and I found the prv was giving off a bubble every second or so when I upended the keg into a water bath. I took off the prv, replaced the o-ring, lubed the ring, replaced it. Still happens. Sometimes it seems to stop if I release a little pressure, but not reliably as sometimes I come back to find the keg flat. The keg is stored sideways, but the gas is forcing its way out - not the liquid.

Any suggestions? Guess I need a new prv thingy.

B

Latest posts

Back