Mini Keg Discussion / Mods / Show Off - Dedicated Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't believe the dark spots will do any harm, my first 3v system had these. I think you will find it is more from the heat generated during welding.
My kettle had a large dark mark around the welded nipples, I did use pickling paste on these and never had any rust develop. I bet my MLT and kettle are still going strong without issues.

Batz said:
Did you recently buy that esky? and if so where and what brand is it? Really like that set up and would love to do something similar.

Batz

Edit: K-Mart esky? Saw it on the other post.
Yeah Kmart, was on clearance at the time but worth giving it a look if they still have any. Being kmart it'd be some generic thing so some other store might have taken up the line.

With the steel disconnects there's more head space than I'd planned for, also a little more free space in general than I'd expected, the height is really the main constraint here...

I did figure though if you can't get one both as high and compact as this you could actually just use these heads instead of the double ball lock, not quite as versatile but ultimately and might have some other challenges but reckon it'd be a suitable outcome.

Other thing being the gas bottle, height on that was my biggest challenge.

Kat-Tap-01.jpg

Batz said:
I don't believe the dark spots will do any harm, my first 3v system had these. I think you will find it is more from the heat generated during welding.
My kettle had a large dark mark around the welded nipples, I did use pickling paste on these and never had any rust develop. I bet my MLT and kettle are still going strong without issues.
the off flavours develop after 1-2 weeks contact time. Do you mash for over a week?

If it is purely due to heat, why do some appear black, and some not, when they're made in the same production facility from the same materials?

Forgive me if this has been mentioned somewere in the 53 pages. I'd expect it has been thought of.

To use the regulator you get with the mini keg combo as a spunding valve? For pressure fermenting.
Obviously with no co2 bulb fitted it works that way and probably a lot better than the standard KK version that can be a bit fiddly and undependable for accuracy etc.
Of course you cant risk any blow off krausen going through. I will be using a mini keg as the collecting chamber for high krausen yeast with a spunding valve for pressure fermenting and playing with my new bewt mini kegs it just dawned on me.

Or is it just a bad idea? to allow co2 produced from fermenting to go backwards through this regulator? As in beer residue collecting in the regulator? Then again Its basically the same price as the KK version anyhow......What say you?

I wouldn't expect a regulator hooked up back to front to work properly.

I didn't either but I'm testing the experiment right now.
Obviously you void your warranty if you stuff up and ruin your regulator. ;)

The only reason I got the idea is I was assembling 3 of them and had parts over the table etc. Connected the (reg with no co2 bulb) to a pressurized mini keg. I heard the hissing and then turned down the reg, stops releasing. Turn up the reg and releases again etc.
But it is backwards. I don't think it works for accuracy. Obviously the valve is only designed to work one direction etc, -_-
Forget about this idea folks.
Don't do it.

Danscraftbeer said:
Forgive me if this has been mentioned somewere in the 53 pages. I'd expect it has been thought of.

To use the regulator you get with the mini keg combo as a spunding valve? For pressure fermenting.
Obviously with no co2 bulb fitted it works that way and probably a lot better than the standard KK version that can be a bit fiddly and undependable for accuracy etc.
Of course you cant risk any blow off krausen going through. I will be using a mini keg as the collecting chamber for high krausen yeast with a spunding valve for pressure fermenting and playing with my new bewt mini kegs it just dawned on me.

Or is it just a bad idea? to allow co2 produced from fermenting to go backwards through this regulator? As in beer residue collecting in the regulator? Then again Its basically the same price as the KK version anyhow......What say you?

You'd really want to avoid any residue back through the regulator that would void warranty, I will try get you a photo of Fat-fish Brewing spunding valve, pretty cool.

20170421_184422.jpeg

Its a spare.

:unsure:

It fits in the bottom of the regulator were you screw in the bulb. Not sure why yet I have disgraced myself and not read the instructions back to front yuno totally over confident.

Its a spare.

Jack of all biers said:
It's an adapter for the soda stream adapter.
An adapter for an adapter? I got the beer at soda stream adapter so it fits onto that? I could get it out to see but it's easier to ask here. Hahaha

Nullnvoid said:
Silly question but what is this piece for? Was in with the regulator box.
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1492772455.550858.jpg
Thats an inlet adaptor to fit 74g C02 - Normally airgun cylinders.
We have soda stream adaptors that fit the inlet adaptor so you can use SS gas

Hahaha - thanks guys didn't realise you had all replied.

Danscraftbeer said:
Its a spare.

:unsure:

It fits in the bottom of the regulator were you screw in the bulb. Not sure why yet I have disgraced myself and not read the instructions back to front yuno totally over confident.

Its a spare.
Instructions ha! thats why they are at the top of the box, so they go in the bin first. :beerbang: :super:

Nullnvoid said:
Silly question but what is this piece for? Was in with the regulator box.
Like BK said it's for a paintball cylinder, I think it;s a great idea, this mini reg is one of the most versatile I've seen

damoninja said:
Like BK said it's for a paintball cylinder, I think it;s a great idea, this mini reg is one of the most versatile I've seen
As they also said, the sodastream adaptor fits in to it as well. I was confused as hell about how on earth the SS adaptor was supposed to fit on the reg until I remembered about this piece (got my mini reg a good bit before this bulk buy, so forgot about my spare bits and pieces)

Beerkat Pty Ltd said:
We have soda stream adaptors that fit the inlet adaptor so you can use SS gas
I was playing with my mini reg this morning and came to the conclusion I needed an adaptor to fit a SS bottle, so thank you for answering my first question.

Can you please link to your adaptor for ease of ordering?

Cheers,
Bones

Back