Mini Keg Discussion / Mods / Show Off - Dedicated Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
grott said:
Did you get some oxalic acid?
Yes had some in the shed. Only made a weak solution but let it soak for around 4 hours then rinsed. It is still wet but the rust spots are gone and ot seems that theweird pitting is reduced but i will have another look when it is completely dry. From what i have read it takes a week or so for the chromium oxide layer to form after oxalic? The video shows the weld , looks dodgy but i have no idea how it should look.
https://youtu.be/Kx9_g1kf2dA

20170408_162442.jpg

What if you filled the keg with oxygen? Would it accelerate the passivation?

Actually, feels unsafe... not a suggestion at all until someone who knows more informs

wide eyed and legless said:
Ikegger? Now that is a brand conspicuous by its absence in the rusted kegs saga, maybe the few extra dollars spent could have saved a lot of heart ache in these purchases. Anyone had a problem with Ikegger?
We use the same supplier. As advised previously and communicated directly with each customer affected, we are working to find a solution with our supplier. Overall we have had a minimal number of kegs showing this issue from the same batch and we hope to have a solution asap. We appreciate the support of AHB.

Keg 2 of 2 had 4L of beer tipped. Metallic taste developed after 3 weeks (first keg after 2). After rinsing out with water only, I dipped my finger in and black film from the top cone part (not the neck weld, which was smooth). The photos weren't very representative of the black I could see, so I put a tissue in and rubbed around the inside of the top surface of the keg. Photos below. I haven't gotten around to getting an inspection mirror, but with the help of a torch I managed to get a glimpse of at least two of the spot welds internally near the top and they were black little circles. These are the spot welds holding the handle on, which I predicted might be a problem given the outside had heat markings on them (some pages ago while the beer was still conditioning). So I did the rice test and you can see the results below. Both kegs are the same. I'd say that in my case at least, the kegs were made, cleaned and pickled well, as the other welds I can see are reasonably good. Then the handles were put on and the clean up was not done on the inside and the pickling was not thorough or not done at all.

I'm not sure if a Oxalic acid, Citric acid or Acetic acid soak will get rid of all the black weld marks and leave them shiny, but I'll email Beerkat to seek permission to give it a try when I'm back from a work trip mid-week. Brad, did your Oxalic acid soaked kegs clean up all the black marks?

DSC_2937.JPGDSC_2940.JPG
DSC_2942.JPGDSC_2943.JPG

Jack of all biers said:
Brad, did your Oxalic acid soaked kegs clean up all the black marks?
Early indication is that yes it has, also has reduced the pitting. Will leave it a few more days and sacrifice another 5L of beer.

pyroboy said:
Magnet, yes. Black stuff, no. Went down the sink on Thursday night sorry.

This was the tube straight out of the keg. Not the greatest pic I know.

attachicon.gif
IMG_6776 2.jpeg

Here's a better one, after a rinse and compared to the other keg's tube.

attachicon.gif
IMG_6837.jpeg

Apart from the metallic taste the beer looked and tasted OK so I don't think this was from some kind of infection.

Cheers
My dip tubes have the same discoloration. Slight metallic taste...
No black residue in neck. Rice test is clean.

So how much Bar Keeper's Friend do you add you how much water, and how long do you leave it to soak?

mstrelan said:
So how much Bar Keeper's Friend do you add you how much water, and how long do you leave it to soak?
I used oxalic acid crystals, did not weigh it but would have been around 150g as that was all that was left in the container in the shed. I just 1/3 filled the 5L keg with cold water, added the crystals then added a kettle full of boiling water and topped up the keg to full with warm water and let it sit for around 4 hours. I also gave the outside of the top a clean with the solution using a chux cloth and the greasy film on the outside of the keg is gone.
After the 5L was done , I transfered the solution to the 2L keg and a saucepan, then sat the 2L keg in the saucepan, once again it cleaned the greasy film from the outside but it also faded the beerkat logo significantly.

Although I didn't, I would check with your supplier before to make sure you are still covered by warranty if doing this.

bradsbrew said:
Altho<script id="gpt-impl-0.3277749971020967" src="https://securepubads.g.doubleclick.net/gpt/pubads_impl_113.js"></script>ugh I didn't, I would check with your supplier before to make sure you are still covered by warranty if doing this.
+1 to brass advice re checking with your retailer. Don't forget that any treatments we do might give the suppliers or manufacturers grounds to refuse the retailers claims, therefore making the customers claims difficult (ie wait for formal written advice about any treatments to the kegs if you are contemplating seeking replacementor refund). It will just make life easier for you and the retailers if the evidence of defect is there to display to the onward supplier.

So this stuff is oxalic acid crystals.

diggers-oxalic-acid.jpg

Ok. This where i am at.

The 5L and the 2L still have the black stuff. The 5L way less than the 2L.
Simple method of dry wipe with paper towel, wipe with metho on towel then dry wipe with towel after. To give me an idea of what it should look like i wiped used the metho wet towel on one of my mytton rod kegs and that keg had no residue at all.
Here is the results.

2L
20170410_172122.jpg

5L
20170410_172132.jpg

Old 23L mytton rod

20170410_172203.jpg

I am not sure what next?

grott said:
All I'm saying is should a " defect keg" be taken to a plating factory that deal with the pickling of weld/ weld areas of stainless for an opinion?
bradsbrew has made a valiant attempt like others to try and fix this problem. As above and mentioned and agreed by others has this been activated on?

I have 5 of these kegs, currently brewing a clean lager that will go into all 5 (besides a corney as a test).

Really do hope to have no off flavours after 4-5 weeks, as this was the reason for buying these kegs. Going away for work, going away in the caravan, if they don't do that for me I don't want them.

Yeah i am pretty disappointed with the outcome. Being an optimist, i really wanted to find a pony under the pile of horse shit.
I won't be putting anymore beer in these ones, who knows what the health effects are. Hopefully i just got a bad batch, the concept is great.

The vast majority of people in the spreadsheet elected for the DIY.

Brad's work is the first proper attempt at a solution in this vein.

Thankfully the bad batch scenario is holding up at this stage. It could collapse, but I certainly hope not.

Not looking good on my minis
First keg at camping with rice lager last few days had a metallic twang
Second keg me and a mate cracked open tonite while away , has an Aussie lager in it
Undrinkable, twangy and metallic taste all through it...
So bad, we ended up going to pub to buy a carton ,
Got a third mini down here with a pale ale , we are chilling tonight and will try tomorrow
These beers have been in kegs going on 3 weeks, never had an issue for weekend use but for my camping trips these are no good
I brought my rice lager camping in my 9 ltr Cornelius Italian keg as well , we drank the whole thing last night, beautiful beer , beer out of mini tonight ,crap ...which annoys me as I own 4.

Health reasons also concerns me, I'll be contacting the retailer next week when we get back for Advice
Will be reporting back over coming days when we try my 3 rd mini with the pale ale but not looking promising
Cheers

grott said:
bradsbrew has made a valiant attempt like others to try and fix this problem. As above and mentioned and agreed by others has this been activated on?
Do you know of any in the south of Adelaide Grott?

I have 4 5Lt from the second bulk buy. I will have a look this weekend. When they were used at xmas my wife compained about a metallic taste in her ginger beer. I drained my kegs fairly quick and they were upright the whole time and the beer seemed ok. She took alot long to get through hers and hers were laid flat in the fridge so the ginger beer would of had lots of contact with the welds.

Latest posts

Back