Mini Keg Discussion / Mods / Show Off - Dedicated Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wide eyed and legless said:
Ikegger? Now that is a brand conspicuous by its absence in the rusted kegs saga, maybe the few extra dollars spent could have saved a lot of heart ache in these purchases. Anyone had a problem with Ikegger?
Suspect they're exactly the same supplier.

Suspect given the price point, a lot less AHBers bought them. Odds being pretty small, unlikely there's affected ones on here...

wide eyed and legless said:
Ikegger? Now that is a brand conspicuous by its absence in the rusted kegs saga, maybe the few extra dollars spent could have saved a lot of heart ache in these purchases. Anyone had a problem with Ikegger?
Really, Why would you post that here. What's the deal mate? As I have an affected keg, bought from Beerkat, I for one think that given you haven't even purchased one, why would you post that shit here. What exactly are you trying to say?

Beerkat and other suppliers are not to blame and the innuendo of your above post is too much. These blokes may have been sold a few bad kegs that they could not have known about and you posting that shit on their thread when the problem (I may add at this stage of 4 out of all the kegs they have sold) is not even known is bullshit.

I'm calling you on it. Bullshit.

EDIT - Admin, if you wish to edit my post out then fair enough, but this is someones business that is being slandered and competition is being advertised with out a care to these blokes business. I'm F***ing over it.

bradsbrew said:
I posted a few pages back that my brother in law, who has 20 odd years of experience in fabrication food grade stainless vessels, commercial kitchens etc had a look and said the 1.89L was not true 304 and that passivation/pickling process had failed and hasn't been finished properly on the 5L. Not his exact words but his general opinion was you cant taste 304.
Pretty much, why I can't believe that IF this is 304 that it is the steel and it is likely poor welding and clean up. Noscos scratched to s**t internals show the lack of care taken in clean up, as internal industrial SS piping would not pass that kind of roughness. It doesn't have to be shiny, but it should be smooth and not scratched and scraped to shit otherwise it will lead to rust. Funnily enough that is exactly what seems to be happening. In saying that one lot of photos on the PM scare the crap out of me as the whole internal of the keg looks like an industrial waste product was stored in there for 40 years there's that much corrosion. This makes me re-think my whole theory. This is why it will be good when the suppliers get back to the retailers, who are the poor middle men/women in this whole sorry story.

EDIT - change 'would pass' to 'would not pass'

Just asking as they have been around for awhile has anyone had a defective keg, can't see anything wrong with that, I still want to buy a couple of kegs so just putting the feelers out. I have already bought 2 x 4 litre kegs through the Alibaba Trade Assurance Program which I have sold on but will look forward to testing the ATAP should anything go wrong. :)

bradsbrew said:
I posted a few pages back that my brother in law, who has 20 odd years of experience in fabrication food grade stainless vessels, commercial kitchens etc had a look and said the 1.89L was not true 304 and that passivation/pickling process had failed and hasn't been finished properly on the 5L. Not his exact words but his general opinion was you cant taste 304.
That's pretty much my conclusion based on zero industry experience, just stuffing about with the one 5L minikeg I have and doing some Google-fu.

I agree that in the end, this is a problem for the retailer and they will need to come up with a way of rectifying the issue for customers that have a complaint. From my experience, ATHB are doing just that. I contacted Mark and have agreed to wait until he can ship me a replacement from the next imported batch. We're working on the assumption that this was purely a bad batch and that it is not a persistent problem in the product. I'm sure that a refund would also be an option for those that don't want the product.

My personality is such that I like to tinker, fix things and solve problems. That is why I am spending some effort in investigating the problem and experimenting with DIY solutions. I'd like to learn and perhaps have the satisfaction of figuring out how the issue can be rectified.

Could you perhaps do us a favour and ask your brother in law if the botched passivation/pickling/surface treatment on the 5L minikegs can be fixed? If it can be fixed, does he have any suggestions for a DIY method or an inexpensive option for getting it done professionally? I am by no means suggesting that either of those are things that anyone needs to do, it's more along the lines of satisfying my curiosity as to what we have and what can be done.

Will check with him. I can't remember exactly what he said but he did metion something about the electrolysis , if that was the system they used or another pickling process (?), and acid cleaning treatment my eyes glazed over at that point as i had no idea what he was babbling on about and i had no intention of trying.

That's crap and you know it. I suspect you enjoy spinning BS. The Mini keg thread is full of your flip flop and I was being polite when others were having a dig. Given you have had nil purchase from BK and now you are putting in a random BS bit about a non-BK related competitor as 'not having problems' in the BK thread, I say you are just trying to stir shit. There are terms for the like, but I know I will get a blasting for being too honest and stating them. I am usually a very restrained person, but right now I think you are just rude and should find somewhere else to post about competitors products that you know NOTHING about.

peteru said:
I agree that in the end, this is a problem for the retailer and they will need to come up with a way of rectifying the issue for customers that have a complaint. From my experience, ATHB are doing just that.
Amazing to me that this ever became a point that required any sort of agreement.

All the ways to rectify the issue exist.

I imagine the issue could be common to all suppliers.

The way I read WEAL's post didn't advertise a competitor, but indirectly shon a light on Beerkat.

Their service, care and communication has been very well regarded. Quite special by my standards.

Jack of all biers said:
Beerkat and other suppliers are not to blame and the innuendo of your above post is too much. These blokes may have been sold a few bad kegs that they could not have known about
It depends, the question is 'Should they have known?'

In procurement of primary plant we perform due diligence on the product during manufacturing, perform independent testing and then sign off before accepting stock.

If your whole livelyhood rested on one product, and you didn't perform some inexpensive QA then risk is magnified.

This is often seen as too harsh for residential level procurement, but at commercial and industrial levels you're almost negligent without doing your own QA.

Knowing and living this has motivated the data gathering and sharing between competitors so the whole community can get the best result.

And maybe, Beerkat ATHB and the like will form a pseudo quality group going forward.

The prisoner dilemma.

The data is pointing to them having been sold a few bad kegs. I just hope that's the case and we can all move on with our lives ASAP.

I am going to grab some oxalic acid to treat my 5L.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar_Keepers_Friend

bradsbrew said:
I am going to grab some oxalic acid to treat my 5L.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar_Keepers_Friend
You may well be onto something here. Read the Bar Keepers Friend article and it's supposed use and effect certainly supports a possible fix. Well done in any event.

Zorco said:
Sure, do you still have the black stuff? And a strong magnet?
Magnet, yes. Black stuff, no. Went down the sink on Thursday night sorry.

Zorco said:
A ring? Where mate? Floating on the surface of the liquid and settled around the dip tube there?

Would be good info as iron oxide is five times heavier than water. I though it would have sunk or held to the walls.

Keen to know
This was the tube straight out of the keg. Not the greatest pic I know.

IMG_6776 2.jpeg

Here's a better one, after a rinse and compared to the other keg's tube.

IMG_6837.jpeg

Apart from the metallic taste the beer looked and tasted OK so I don't think this was from some kind of infection.

Cheers

Ok. So i went and bought an inspection camera. These are from the 5L. Rust sopts on the vertical weld seam where it meets the bottom.20170408_105908.jpg
And some weird arse pitting or something on the base .

Attachments

• 20170408_105952.jpg
    20170408_105952.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 20170408_105952.jpg
    20170408_105952.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 20170408_110033.jpg
    20170408_110033.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 20170408_110115.jpg
    20170408_110115.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 45
Supercheap had them on special for 98 bucks. Only bought because i had 96 bucks in store credit, so it cost 2 bucks. Plenty of uses here too.

Back