Mini Keg Discussion / Mods / Show Off - Dedicated Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I'm getting a bit of buy in now for the Spectro test on the metal.

We can use your magnetic keg if you like. Sounds like the worst case example - good for the test?

wide eyed and legless said:
Cian, if your mate is still interested he can have the 2 x 4litre I ordered, $195 AUD PM me and I will pay, the delivery is taken care of.
I wondered if you could cancel your order with ATHB before he shipped, but didn't find you on the MKIV spreadsheet. Was it with Beerkat?

Zorco said:
You haven't arranged your replacement yet. This hasn't been established as a permanent fault.
Lastly, Why not ask now for a refund and escape the drama?
How are my concerns flawed?

I have not arranged a replacement because the retailer i purchased them from has not said to do so.
I have not asked for a refund because i feel for the retailer that had built a business on these things and have been waiting for their response ie "the wholesalers will be refunding the retailer, so put in your claim"

This is not a drama, bigger thingsin life than a crappy keg purchase. If you want to see drama, come and spend a week with me at work.

Whilst i appreciate what you are trying to do, i really don't need someone to act on my behalf on a purchase i made by myself. Call me a loner.

Cheers

I haven't chimed in yet but I suspect my 4L keg from MKIII(?) might be affected. To date, I haven't brewed to put anything in it, what I did do when I got it was I just gave it a wash out with some regular dishwashing liquid and though I'd use it to make some soda water, the result was a very metallic taste in the water straight away but this could have just been because it hasn't been cleaned properly, I did the rice test on it and they was a minor darkening (had to do a control to compare) what's the best method for cleaning/testing to make sure

edit, I have some tricleanium here to use that I haven't got to using yet.

bradsbrew said:
How are my concerns flawed?

Whilst i appreciate what you are trying to do, i really don't need someone to act on my behalf on a purchase i made by myself. Call me a loner.

I can see your perspective

The MKIV bulk buy has been on the cusp of conclusion when the first concerns were raised. It needed to be understood if it was a product fault, and to what extent; by a rational approach.

The spreadsheet collates the data and informs everyone of the quantity of the problem. That way the community has access to essential information not only for MKIV, but for any future issues.

I don't think you understand what it is I'm actually doing or why.

Loners or not, you and everyone have access to all accounts of the issue and direct conversation with the suppliers in a collaborative forum..

I'm serving the community as part of my commitment to MKIV with everyone in mind and leaving a framework of information and data.

As soon as I can get out I intend to, which will be soon and I've enjoyed every part of the challenges.

Zorco, You're doing a good job mate. It's appreciated that future buyers can see, both the issue (whatever that is, is yet to be confirmed) and the response from the retailers, which, one would not see if all the purchasers with issues went individually and privately to the retailer.

So far I am satisfied with the responses from both retailers, that they are looking at the problem and will deal with it when there is a solution. We cannot expect this to be done immediately, nor to be communicated with every day about it.

However, Brad is also correct that normally an individual with a faulty product would approach the retailer for a solution. Different strokes and all that.

Zorco said:
I can see your perspective

The MKIV bulk buy has been on the cusp of conclusion when the first concerns were raised.

First concerns were raised on post 27 of the initial eoi before the first bbuy.

It needed to be understood if it was a product fault, and to what extent; by a rational approach.

The spreadsheet collates the data and informs everyone of the quantity of the problem. That way the community has access to essential information not only for MKIV, but for any future issues.

Why keep the spreadsheet secret squirrel in a pm environment, it would serve the whole community to have it in an open and transparent environment.

I don't think you understand what it is I'm actually doing or why.

A crusade?

Loners or not, you and everyone have access to all accounts of the issue and direct conversation with the suppliers in a collaborative forum..

Not when its all by pm? How does everyone has access?

I'm serving the community as part of my commitment to MKIV with everyone in mind and leaving a framework of information and data for all to use.

As above.

As soon as I can get out I intend to, which will be soon and I've enjoyed every part of the challenges.

The only reason, and an important one, for the PM is that with Google Sheets if you share a link with write permissions you only need to click the link to access. In the public forum that will lead to too much nuisance.

Cheers Jack,

Jack of all biers said:
However, Brad is also correct that normally an individual with a faulty product would approach the retailer for a solution.
Approaching the retailer with an issue has always been the intended point. The retailer can now aggregate all the concerns to better and more fully address the issue with the supplier. In fact, handling it the way we have here encourages more people to look for the problem and add their evidence.. this supports any retailer with their conversation with the suppliers - which ultimately improves the support we all receive for our problems.

I'm not sure how many people have arranged their replacement kegs yet, but it should be almost everyone by now. There isn't anything stopping that happening

Pretty basic really.

Anyone else who thinks I'm your proxy and revelling in that, go and work with Brad for a week and he will show you what drama is. For everyone else, I'm sure you'll get the best service you can from our retailers because of the information we've shared TOGETHER.

Brad didn't say how he contacted his retailer but if he bought it from Beerkat or ATHB then he would have got a quick response. But he will work it out.

If all the metal proves to be not the spec of SS I paid for, a refund will be on my radar as should everyone else.

P.S. If you haven't organised your replacement kegs, please hurry up and do so. It will go a very long way to helping solve the issue as we will learn if it solves the issue. And there is zero risk or cost to you..... puzzling to me actually.

Brad didn't say how he contacted his retailer but if he bought it from Beerkat or ATHB then he would have got a quick response. But he will work it out.

.[/quote]

Actually have said it several times that it's a BK keg (BK is short for Beerkat) Even posted on the beerkat mini keg thread.
Sorry if my way of communicating does not meet your special needs. I will try harder in the future.

Someone asked about long term storage a while back....
I had some Adnams Ghost ship clone in a 4L mini keg and in bottles. Stored for 9 months. Naturally carbonated.

My observations (Mini Keg vs Bottle)

Colour: No difference
Clarity: Yes, but if you unsettle the yeast sediment, they look exactly the same.
Taste/Aroma: Yes, the bitterness of the bottled is more pronounced whilst the mini keg retained more hop aroma. A little metallic taste, like drinking warm beer out of a can level.

This might be of interest to the rust/weld issue discussed in the forum- The keg was filled close to the brim, passed the weld joint.This particular mini keg however is 3 years old bought back from the UK.

I have a Pineapple Wheat beer currently stored in the ATHB mini kegs (BB MK 2) and in some bottles as well. Will do a side by side.
I'll rest this keg on the side so the weld is submerged in beer.
Hope this helps provide further understanding of the issue we've had with the recent dodgy batch of mini kegs.

Bottle conditioned (Left), Mini Keg conditioned (Right)

20170406_205123.jpg

Pls add me to the spreadsheet. The photo in post 515. The one with the black silicon tube. Thanks

EalingDrop said:
Someone asked about long term storage a while back....
I had some Adnams Ghost ship clone in a 4L mini keg and in bottles. Stored for 9 months. Naturally carbonated.

My observations (Mini Keg vs Bottle)

Colour: No difference
Clarity: Yes, but if you unsettle the yeast sediment, they look exactly the same.
Taste/Aroma: Yes, the bitterness of the bottled is more pronounced whilst the mini keg retained more hop aroma. A little metallic taste, like drinking warm beer out of a can level.

This might be of interest to the rust/weld issue discussed in the forum- The keg was filled close to the brim, passed the weld joint.This particular mini keg however is 3 years old bought back from the UK.

I have a Pineapple Wheat beer currently stored in the ATHB mini kegs (BB MK 2) and in some bottles as well. Will do a side by side.
I'll rest this keg on the side so the weld is submerged in beer.
Hope this helps provide further understanding of the issue we've had with the recent dodgy batch of mini kegs.

Bottle conditioned (Left), Mini Keg conditioned (Right)

attachicon.gif
20170406_205123.jpg
I am wondering if the problem occurs or is more pronounced when the kegs are not full?

gezzanet said:
Pls add me to the spreadsheet. The photo in post 515. The one with the black silicon tube. Thanks
You've got write access from the PM gezz, go for it.

Actually I do have pics of the Pineapple Wheat, it was stored in a unbranded keg I bought off gumtree (naturally carbonated for a few week)

Had to use the Keg king style regs as the Leland style regs were being replaced by ATHB (which works much better now)

Pineapple Wheat (Had nothing else to use except the Missus' plastic champagne flute :lol: ).
Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 22.49.09.jpg

Keg got shaken around a bit on way down to the site. But can't say the beer was ever really in contact with the weld area for any length of time.

20170325_124047.jpg

I have 2 x 5L kegs from the ATHB BB MKII. Each has had a pale ale sitting in them for over a month (was intending to take them away for Easter).

Cracked them both last night.

First keg had a pronounced black ring around the dip tube and the beer a harsh iron/metallic taste.

Second keg's beer had a slight metallic taste but no visible effects.

Emptied both and performed the peteru incantations. Rice came out dirty grey. Not as black as some here but noticeably different to another keg I used as a control.

Would you add me to the PM please Zorco?

Cheers

Sure, do you still have the black stuff? And a strong magnet?

A ring? Where mate? Floating on the surface of the liquid and settled around the dip tube there?

Would be good info as iron oxide is five times heavier than water. I though it would have sunk or held to the walls.

Keen to know

Latest posts

Back