Mini Keg Discussion / Mods / Show Off - Dedicated Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I've hooked my new 5L all up.
Dialled in 5psi and left it for 2 mins, turned it off and bled the prv a bit. Dialled 5 psi again and left it.
Should I leave it for a few days to carbonate at this pressure and it'll be OK for serving?

peekaboo_jones said:
Update:
It lost all pressure overnight, I take it this isn't normal?
Was your beer already carbonated? If it wasn't then yes it normal as your beer has adsorbed the Co2.

Was visiting the local IGA and spotted a heap of these foam tubs in the fruit and veg area. The 5lt tanks fit perfectly.

1482543099824.jpg

Great minds think alike!

I also found these foam boxes, the first I made was the same as what you did nic0, I made cuts to allow for the glass to be filled. Next I found slightly shorter boxes (in height) these worked out better for me. Any drips fall onto the tea towel rather than running down the side of the box, perhaps a drip tray next?

Anyway I'll be test driving it tomorrow with Christmas beers. :drinks:

DSCF7456.JPG

DSCF7457.JPG

I rate the 2L versions for a quick transport. Such an easy fit.

Mini keg variety...[emoji106]ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1482547284.966401.jpg

Alright, mini reg warranty people... I just went to use my mini reg after loading a fresh cylinder for a 2L keg on Thursday, so plenty of gas left.

But it didn't flow. I thought maybe I had a leak and removed the cylinder -- at which point it vented and chilled.

Next cylinder and no flow again. So I unscrewed the bulb a bit and then the gas pressure shot up..

Try it out lads and see if it does anything for you

Zorco said:
Alright, mini reg warranty people... I just went to use my mini reg after loading a fresh cylinder for a 2L keg on Thursday, so plenty of gas left.

But it didn't flow. I thought maybe I had a leak and removed the cylinder -- at which point it vented and chilled.

Next cylinder and no flow again. So I unscrewed the bulb a bit and then the gas pressure shot up..

Try it out lads and see if it does anything for you
I wonder if there is a rubber seal that can be compressed too much and block the outlet of the bulb?

peekaboo_jones said:
So I've hooked my new 5L all up.
Dialled in 5psi and left it for 2 mins, turned it off and bled the prv a bit. Dialled 5 psi again and left it.
Should I leave it for a few days to carbonate at this pressure and it'll be OK for serving?
I think you are asking a little too much to expect a 5lt keg to carbonate on a 16gm C02 bulb. Most of us transfer brews already carbonated in a larger keg.
Perhaps someone has done this, if so I hope they offer you some advise.
Hope it works out and you have beer for tomorrow.

Batz

I asked the question about force carbing these and Mark from ATHB got back to me:

LAGERFRENZY, on 27 Sept 2016 - 8:44 PM, said:
One question that I have seen asked a lot but never answered is - has anyone force carbed these little beauties with the gas bulbs that come with them. If so how so, how long does it take, at what pressure, how many bulbs to carb a 5 litre jobbie - as much information as you can spare for a keg noob please.
I have tried once or twice to quick gas with the bulbs with mixed results still trying to fine tune it, there mainly ment for dispensing,

what I tried: connected the bulb and set the reg to 20psi then rolled the keg on its side for about a minute, then left it at 20psi for about a day and then turned the reg off and released the head space. and set to about 4 psi for pouring, it was carbonated but could of been better. this used up most of a bulb.

When i picked up mine from Grain and Grape Matt said he carbonates in his 2lt keg. Not sure how it would work woth a 5 lt.

Batz said:
I think you are asking a little too much to expect a 5lt keg to carbonate on a 16gm C02 bulb. Most of us transfer brews already carbonated in a larger keg.

Perhaps someone has done this, if so I hope they offer you some advise.

Hope it works out and you have beer for tomorrow.

Batz

Thanks, I'm new to this - I only have these 5L kegs. I guess I should've gotten into the 19L jobs first

Oh well, I'll see how it goes otherwise I might try naturally carbing.

Interestingly I found a vid from the iKegger dude showing how to force carb these by connecting the mini reg to the liquid post, dialling in 20 psi and leaving overnight.

https://youtu.be/Ql-3b7xiP5Q

I added some paper towel to catch the drips. I find if i hold the lip of the glass on the edge of the tap after i have finished pouring i can drain the beer left in the tap and limit the drips.

Edit: Bloody tappatalk double posting

1482568671168.jpg

peekaboo_jones said:
Thanks, I'm new to this - I only have these 5L kegs. I guess I should've gotten into the 19L jobs first

Oh well, I'll see how it goes otherwise I might try naturally carbing.

Interestingly I found a vid from the iKegger dude showing how to force carb these by connecting the mini reg to the liquid post, dialling in 20 psi and leaving overnight.

https://youtu.be/Ql-3b7xiP5Q
I naturally carbed a 5 litre on Tuesday with 15 grams of Dextrose. Tried the Pressure Relief Valve today and it is definitely carbing up. Treat the same as you would with bottles - two weeks at 18 C.

Batz said:
I wonder if there is a rubber seal that can be compressed too much and block the outlet of the bulb?
If one of the suppied seals was used between the reg and the disconnect i reckon it would restrict the flow when compressed. I used thread tape and set my regs to 5psi before i connect the disconnect to the tank and haven't had any problems so far.

Back