Mini Keg Discussion / Mods / Show Off - Dedicated Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone tried the carbonation caps? Are they worth buying?

Haven't tried them myself, but I'd be suss on them without any sort of PRV.
Personally, I would just spend the extra $ and get a ball lock head. Can still force carb with it, but have the option for using a tap on it too (and have the PRV on it). I just don't see the point of the carb caps

Anyone have any problems with the out posts on there mini kegs? I can't connect a beer disconnect to save myself. I've tried 4 different ones to no avail. The machining on the outpost compared to one from my 19l keg is different. The mini keg one is the top one on the pic.
I've also attached a pic at my attempt at connecting beer disconnect.

20171012_195449.jpg
20171012_175307.jpg

Are they the wrong way around? Try the beer disconnect on the other post and try a gas one on that post

Beer line is about 1m which doesn't affect the overall beer temp in the glass, interesting to see how this system copes with warmer weather.
if it doesn't - grab some 'k-flex' pipe insulation from the big green shed and run the line through that. Should act as sufficient lagging in warmer weather. Works for my portable setup in brisbane.

Anyone have any problems with the out posts on there mini kegs? I can't connect a beer disconnect to save myself. I've tried 4 different ones to no avail. The machining on the outpost compared to one from my 19l keg is different. The mini keg one is the top one on the pic.
I've also attached a pic at my attempt at connecting beer disconnect.
Yes I've had a issues with the posts also.
No real dramas getting the disconnects on but getting them off is extremely difficult.

I've tried both gas and liquid thinking they were mixed up bit that way certainly doesn't work.
It's a machine issue with mine at closer inspection too.

Are these the same posts as regular 5 gallon soda syrup posts?

Was thinking that this morning! Can't argue with that if it works in Brissie, Im in Sydney.

The kids swimming noodle has survived the chop again[emoji1] .

Thanks LS

Yes I've had a issues with the posts also.
No real dramas getting the disconnects on but getting them off is extremely difficult.

I've tried both gas and liquid thinking they were mixed up bit that way certainly doesn't work.
It's a machine issue with mine at closer inspection too.

Are these the same posts as regular 5 gallon soda syrup posts?
I actually switched the posts around last night and it worked a treat. Great unit but yeah the posts definitely aren't machined correctly. I got it working which im happy with though.

t. Great unit but yeah the posts definitely aren't machined correctly.

I bet nobody has had a problem with stainless disconnects. I have found them much better than the plastic ones for mini kegs.
7803-stainless-ball-lock-disconnect-mfl-black-liquid.jpg

Lets ask who has stainless disconnects on their mini kegs and has had a problem getting them on or off??

I bet nobody has had a problem with stainless disconnects. I have found them much better than the plastic ones for mini kegs.View attachment 109178
Lets ask who has stainless disconnects on their mini kegs and has had a problem getting them on or off??
No problems but keg lube a big help in reducing stiffness. Some don’t realise that to get disconnects off it is easier to push down on the top of the disconnect and lift the spring loaded part of the connector rather than just lifting it.

I bet nobody has had a problem with stainless disconnects. I have found them much better than the plastic ones for mini kegs.View attachment 109178
I agree that getting them on/off is a breeze, you really feel the nice snap lock.

If you have a MFL disconnect, they do leak at the point where the swivel barb is connected to the MFL. I managed to get the Nylon flared olive washer from the folks at brewmart in Perth who are great because they're happy to use standard post and only 30 cents each.

I've got a little problem with my mini keg. I've got a 2l with a Pale Ale sitting in it. I "bottle conditioned" it with its normal lid on. After a few weeks i stuck it in the fridge for a week. Unfortunately I can't get the lid off. I don't have a shifter big enough. Any thoughts on how I can open it up without destroying it?

Maybe try opening it with a Tupperware Jar grip opener. It's a rubber grip mat thingy, they work awesome for regular jars I reckon it'll work with the mini keg flat lid

Maybe try opening it with a Tupperware Jar grip opener. It's a rubber grip mat thingy, they work awesome for regular jars I reckon it'll work with the mini keg flat lid

I've got one of them and no luck. Also tried banging it on the table and hitting it softy with a hammer.

Try to put a little bit of pressure on the lid from the top as you try to turn it, to counter the pressure from inside.

I've got a little problem with my mini keg. I've got a 2l with a Pale Ale sitting in it. I "bottle conditioned" it with its normal lid on. After a few weeks i stuck it in the fridge for a week. Unfortunately I can't get the lid off. I don't have a shifter big enough. Any thoughts on how I can open it up without destroying it?
This may be a silly question as I am not familiar with the mini kegs, but is the vessel pressurised? Have you tried letting out the head pressure before attempting to unscrew?

Back