Mini Keg Bulk Buy MKIV

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm, I picked up five x 4L's so I guess you got lucky.
I've lost about 30L over the past few months... thoroughly cleaned and filled a couple of kegs each brew and the metal keeps on coming through.

Can you see where the problems are inside the keg. Can you potentially waste one more 5 litres and try this-
Put 4 teaspoons of sodium per carbonate in a suitable container and pour in a good cup full of just boiled water, this will get it fizzing. Pour this into keg and top up with boiling water. Screw top on and let it sit for min 4 hours, tip out (into washing machine is good) and rinse well the keg and spear with hot water. Sanitise, put in brew and chill, carb and test.

Hell, how many taste metal. I must be lucky or is it the 4 litre ones that are ok. Perhaps I might like the taste of metal and not know it:question:Feel for those whose kegs are not usable until replaced.

Seems rather incredible doesn't it. I must be lucky too. Lucky I cant detect any metal flavor or lucky there is no metal flavor.
I have to think the later.
I also have to think that this problem must be a proven thing from comparisons? Like from any corny keg its fine but side by side tasting it tastes metallic from a mini keg? why or how can you get a metallic taste from properly cleaned stainless steel?
The only little problem I've had is the little red O rings in the poppit can dislodge when you disconnect. Bit of a prick especially on the beer out. But being suborn fix it man I will find a way. Maybe just replace red O rings with standard black ones maybe. Or just remember to disconnect gently not aggressively.

The only little problem I've had is the little red O rings in the poppit can dislodge when you disconnect. Bit of a prick especially on the beer out. But being suborn fix it man I will find a way. Maybe just replace red O rings with standard black ones maybe. Or just remember to disconnect gently not aggressively.

I use keg lube on the orings and have not had any trouble.

Mmmm, I only wipe it around the outside so that should not be a problem as the ring can't rotate. Your orings aren't oversized?

The poppit O rings do seem fat and oversized and easily removed. The poppit has wobble because of the oversized O ring.
I'm reluctantly thinking of fixing by swapping with standard poppits.
I think this convo is meant to be on another thread hhehe. Mini kegs discussion thread?

Always a chance. The next month or two will see (hopefully) the closure of warranty and supplier issues, the closure of significant concerns around corrosion, and confidence reestablished in the bulk buys of mini kegs.

From what I've seen I'm positive that the Australian home brew community and retailers are resilient and ready to move forward with more bulk buys for mini kegs once the last issues are resolved.

Zorco have there been quality issues in a few batches? Hard to find solid info on these things. The only guys I can even find selling them is ikegger and a few others

Can you see where the problems are inside the keg. Can you potentially waste one more 5 litres and try this-
Put 4 teaspoons of sodium per carbonate in a suitable container and pour in a good cup full of just boiled water, this will get it fizzing. Pour this into keg and top up with boiling water. Screw top on and let it sit for min 4 hours, tip out (into washing machine is good) and rinse well the keg and spear with hot water. Sanitise, put in brew and chill, carb and test.
I put sod perc and boiled on the stove top for 20 minutes then let it soak overnight/24hrs. Didnt work

Zorco have there been quality issues in a few batches? Hard to find solid info on these things. The only guys I can even find selling them is ikegger and a few others

I think it was only two batches that had problems, unfortunately for me I bought from both these.
It seems the problem has been solved and the retailers are doing all they can to rectify this and replace the faulty kegs. Lesson learned here, imagine if you bought direct from China or some ebay store...good luck with returns.

It's waaaaaaaay past anything like this mate. Home fixes have been tried including acids (vinegar, etc.), even electropolishing and stuff being suggested.
The issue is to do with the quality of the welds and electropolishing in the factory, so sodium perc doesn't really have a role.

Long story short - no one with keg issues will be fixing them at home themselves - thise who have issues really should just be sending them back to the retailer for refund/replacement

Latest posts

Back