Mini Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fammer

Reaction score
I have a bit of a situation on hand, since my old man cracked it that I had my keg in the drinks fridge (read big) i've since had to take it out which doesnt leave me with any quick fixes in the meantime till I get some freezer conversion or something happening.

However I have this Red Bull fridge that I got given and I was wondering if i ran some beer line in through the top and filled the fridge with ice:

- How long would the ice last?

- How does the keg go being not refrigerated?

- How do you carbonate a warm keg? Does this require more gas?

- Will I lose carbonation because the keg is at room temperature?

See picture for further detail.

redbull.jpg

Thanks guys

I personally won't be bothering with this, get the weekend shopper and search around for a cheap fridge or freezer. I got mine for $20.

Ice would only last a few days then then you would have to drains and re-fill with ice.

Beer wouldn't chill properly and C02 wouldn't dissolve in hot beer.. (I think so anyway - it needs to be cold to disolve)

spewin, damn good for nothing fridge - fits an 11L fine though.

Yeah get a fridge, or better yet (IMO) a freezer.

About your other question, CO2 will dissolve in any temperature beer, just not as well. Hence you need much more pressure. E.g. 2.2x CO2 in beer at 2 degrees requires 7 psi, at 27 degrees C it requires 30psi!! Even higher at higher temperatures. Having said that I've successfully carbonated kegs at 20 degrees straight from the carbonater when in a hurry.

tony

tonydav said:
Yeah get a fridge, or better yet (IMO) a freezer.

About your other question, CO2 will dissolve in any temperature beer, just not as well. Hence you need much more pressure. E.g. 2.2x CO2 in beer at 2 degrees requires 7 psi, at 27 degrees C it requires 30psi!! Even higher at higher temperatures. Having said that I've successfully carbonated kegs at 20 degrees straight from the carbonater when in a hurry.

tony
[post="58264"][/post]​
yep it certainly does, I have used warm kegs (30 C) with an aluminium temprite/magic box and it works fine but as you say you need a lot more pressure.

Hoops

I have been running 50l kegs at room temp for a couple of years and have found that the best is to bulk prime the same as for bottles.

Cheers bunyip

Fammer said:
spewin, damn good for nothing fridge - fits an 11L fine though.
[post="58233"][/post]​

Are they too small to fit a fermenter in to CC?

Duff,

I don't brew beer I was just using it for a bourbon + coke premix and soft drink etc, will eventually get into ginger beer.

Back