Mini Cubed Starters.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefeffect

Reaction score
I usually make my own starters and add washed yeast. I was a bit bored this morning and got another 7 mini cubes organised for my next few brews, thought I would post as someone might find interesting/useful. I find this super easy using old mustard/condiment bottles, I add the hot wort and squeeze the air out then screw the lid on and put in my cool room. If any don't seal properly I wait until cold and make a starter straight away. So simple to get a starter going this way as the yeast and wort are the same temp around 2.5 deg I pitch them together and place in the fermentation chamber at desired temp then shake every day or so.

Mini cubes:

Beer_003.jpg

Washed yeast, got about ten varieties:

Beer_004.jpg

Looks good!

I have no chilled my starter wort for about the last year in cleaned and sanitised V8 juice bottles.
Wort goes in just off the boil then seal it up and let come to room or culture temp 20 - 23deg and then pitch my yeast sample.

A pressure cooker comes in handy for this too, and it lets you store wort in other places than the fridge because it's sterilized.

A pressure cooker comes in handy for this too, and it lets you store wort in other places than the fridge because it's sterilized.

How do you mean a pressure cooker will come in handy?

How do you mean a pressure cooker will come in handy?
Instead of pasteurised wort which should be sufficient for a little bit of storage time, especially if refridgerated, by properly pressure cooking your starter in an appropriate container, it is a sterile package and should store indefinitely (though it might not taste fantastic due to oxidation).

It is not really important if you are dealing with home washed yeast, which is pretty much guaranteed to have some degree of contamination, but a large pitching rate of viable yeast. If you are culturing up yeast from a very small population, you really want to ensure that you have minimal contamination because any spoilage organisms will also be multiplied at a comparable rate to the yeast.

Instead of pasteurised wort which should be sufficient for a little bit of storage time, especially if refridgerated, by properly pressure cooking your starter in an appropriate container, it is a sterile package and should store indefinitely (though it might not taste fantastic due to oxidation).

It is not really important if you are dealing with home washed yeast, which is pretty much guaranteed to have some degree of contamination, but a large pitching rate of viable yeast. If you are culturing up yeast from a very small population, you really want to ensure that you have minimal contamination because any spoilage organisms will also be multiplied at a comparable rate to the yeast.
can you point me to info on pressure pasteurisation?

I used to use this method as well, but I found the 'mini cubes' I was using would warp with the heat of the hot wort and I was worried about chemicals from the plastic leaching into the beer.

Google "canning starter wort " Had a link but it is not working

Back