Mini Biab Fermentation Vessel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diggs

Reaction score
Looking to have a shot at BIAB but going to do a Mini batch as outlined in here Mini BIAB, 9.5Lt batches or so.

My understanding is that for the primary fermentation any Fermentation Vessel should be ok, but for the secondary stage you want to minimise head space and oxygen coming in contact with the wort?

I was looking at a 10Lt Jerry (link), or could I get away with my normal fermenter (30Lt?).

Cheers

Use a normal fermenter ($16 from bunnings), so if you ever upgrade to bigger equipment you've already got the right size fermenter.

Also, i wouldn't worry about secondary, the only thing you hope to gain is infection.

Looking to have a shot at BIAB but going to do a Mini batch as outlined in here Mini BIAB, 9.5Lt batches or so.

My understanding is that for the primary fermentation any Fermentation Vessel should be ok, but for the secondary stage you want to minimise head space and oxygen coming in contact with the wort?

I was looking at a 10Lt Jerry (link), or could I get away with my normal fermenter (30Lt?).

Cheers

Cheers ekul.

I was looking for those from Bunnings - are you talking cubes or jerry? I wanted Jerry rather than cubes as I could get 2 x jerrys in my bar fridge but only 1 cube.

Cheers ekul.

I was looking for those from Bunnings - are you talking cubes or jerry? I wanted Jerry rather than cubes as I could get 2 x jerrys in my bar fridge but only 1 cube.

Neither, These are a food grade water container. They are roughly 25L (If I remember correctly) and are a cylinder, like the coopers fermenter.

They work well, I use one as a fermenter and another as a bottling bucket.

Jerry's or cube it's just the shape get what suits you. My bunnings has stopped getting the willow Jerry's so I went to kmart. Bunnings have a white jetty but it had an extra lid and I didn't personally like the look if it but I've seen other blokes use them.

Edit: get the food grade water ones near the pool equipment not the petrol ones.

Neither, These are a food grade water container. They are roughly 25L (If I remember correctly) and are a cylinder, like the coopers fermenter.

They work well, I use one as a fermenter and another as a bottling bucket.
Ok, so no point in changing from my current 30Lt fermenter then?

I got my willow Jerry's from Supercheap and kmart

Ferment in whatever you want. Don't bother with secondary

I wouldn't worry about it but then I wouldn't transfer into a secondary container unless I was adding the priming sugar and bottling either.

It's all about what process works for you, either way will work. I just find that not transferring to secondary gets me a beer which tastes the same as when it is and it is easier not to. Some brewers have had more success with transferring then others tho.

I am actually looking at getting some cubes when I start all grain, only so I can store some unfermented wort while my fermenters are being used (one big brew day to make several batches). The reason I have decided cubes is for the ease of storage. Again something that will suit my setup and space well.

Ok cheers guys, that's great as it will mean no $$$ outlay (apart from a BIAB bag) for my first brew (and grains etc of course).

The lower I keep the cost the less the Missus is unhappy with my hobby :lol:

My first brew was a mini biab in a 20 litre pot and I used a 10 litre cube from Bunnings. I think it was around $12.00.

It just had the one outlet, I pitched my yeast the next day and let it ferment away. It was one of the best beers Ive ever done.

mate if live / work anywhere near Hawthorne in Brisbane i have a 10L (more like 12L?) jerry you can have

DSCF4316.jpg

i used it for no chilling in, not sure if your planing no-chill cube or pot chill ?
i drilled a hole in my 19L pot and used a tap to get it into the jerry...

if you bring me a couple of your finely crafted home brew beers (assuming you have some in a bottle?) i will throw in the voil, grain (crushed) and hops for a DSGA type thing

the Missus will have to be a happy with that as that's "free beer" :D

Appreciate you offer Maheel but I am:

1. Northside
2. Lacking license

:lol:

Yes, just use a normal size fermenter - carboy style from Bunnings < $20. Don't worry about secondary - overrated and just an infection risk.

Back