MillMaster Mini Mill slow after adjusting gap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
huez said:
its the knurling, mine wore after only 6months of very light use.
Ok, thanks huez. Will get onto them.
For the RRP of these things you would think they would last a bit longer.

I've got the same problem and don't believe it's the knurling as mine's been doing it since day one. I thought that's just how they were and have been running grain through twice. I might contact MM now that I know that some people have no issue with them.

The problem has to be the knurl on the rollers, they either wear very quickly and this would not happen with quality stainless. Or the knurling was not aggressive enough to start with, knurling stainless is difficult and the knurling heads would need to be replaced now and then to keep the same quality as the heads do wear. (perhaps you guys scored rollers towards the end of a run?)
Considering these mills are marketed as a superior mill, with price tag to match I would be very disappointed if I had recently bought one.
Also three tonnes of grain on a home brew scale is nothing, my mill has done may more than that without any issues at all.

Good luck and keep us posted with the manufacture follow up.

iambj said:
The problem has to be the knurl on the rollers, they either wear very quickly and this would not happen with quality stainless. Or the knurling was not aggressive enough to start with, knurling stainless is difficult and the knurling heads would need to be replaced now and then to keep the same quality as the heads do wear. (perhaps you guys scored rollers towards the end of a run?)
Considering these mills are marketed as a superior mill, with price tag to match I would be very disappointed if I had recently bought one.
Also three tonnes of grain on a home brew scale is nothing, my mill has done may more than that without any issues at all.

Good luck and keep us posted with the manufacture follow up.
3 tonnes of grain at an average of 5kg per batch is about 600 brews. ball park 1200 slabs of beer, by my count that is a fairly large scale homebrew operation.
Perhaps I'm just not brewing enough though.

slabs stubbies years stubbies per year stubbies per day
1200 = 28800 / 10 2880 7.89

Fair enough..

good mileage for your mill.

Edit. puts it at 1.15 standard batches each week.

Rob.P said:
slabs stubbies years stubbies per year stubbies per day
1200 = 28800 / 10 2880 7.89

Fair enough..

good mileage for your mill.

Edit. puts it at 1.15 standard batches each week.
Very good mileage I'd say!

Then there's rather bad as well.

Yeah I get that everything has a life span and If I thought I had over used and got my moneys worth then I would just buy another. However I do not believe this to be the case and to be totally honest I think I achieved a better service from my old marga mill (that I gave away to a brew club member) than this thing.

The knurling "looks" as good as when I got it?
I've got the same problem and don't believe it's the knurling as mine's been doing it since day one. I thought that's just how they were and have been running grain through twice. I might contact MM now that I know that some people have no issue with them.
its the knurling, mine wore after only 6months of very light use.

I guess that is the point, if Spiesy smashed out 3 tonne (600 batches worth of grain) on one of these bad boys before the knurling was worn too much, then the guys having issues after such a small time shouldn't hesitate about contacting the supplier.

BrissyBrew said:
Mashmaster did have some issues with knurling on a previous batch. If you have any issues please contact us via our website or email [email protected]
As someone in the market for a mill I thank you now for this information. Not much from the retailers selling this mill of late but.
Good luck hey?

Email sent! Never realised Mashmaster were in Brisbane!

I hope mine is one of the dodgy batches, so I can finally get it working properly! (and then tell all those people I told not to buy a MM to maybe go out and get one now!)

By MM do you mean a Mash Master, a Mini Mill, a Malt Muncher or a Monster Mill? FFS, who comes up with these names?

FYI - already received a response to my email (on a Sunday) from Mashmaster - and they're more than happy to help out. That's great customer service.

Crunched said:
FYI - already received a response to my email (on a Sunday) from Mashmaster - and they're more than happy to help out. That's great customer service.
Yes I too was pretty impressed to get a response the same day on a Sunday.

This forum is amazing as a resource, I've just read all the way through the post hoping for an answer as I've only done 5 brews and hoping for a solution. Last time I milled it was 16.45Kg and it took well over 30 mins, which I didn't expect as it has been awesome and lived up to everyone's amazing reviews. And there is a solution :) I will contact Brissybrew and fingers crossed.

For the people who have resolved any issues please comment so the full picture can be painted,

Cheers.

Back