Millenium And Galaxy Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First impressions of my very young Galaxy Blonde are straight up fruit along the lines of passionfruit, I dont get the typical grapefruit and resinous flavour/mouthfeel of cascade. I also get some piny aroma/flavours that makes this hop very similar to simcoe for me.

For an aussie hop I am very impressed :icon_cheers:

Hey Jye, I totally agree.

I actually find it one of those hops that makes me constantly re-evaluate. I'm inclined to think I even get some mango hints.

I find it similar to Simcoe but with some floral notes that wouldn't be out of place in some Euro hops.

Rapidly becoming one of my faves. :)

Warren -

I decided to brew a pils grain bill I had already crushed as a pale ale (us-05) with some galaxy, as my lager starter I was going to use the grain with still wasnt ready... this is what I went with :
Amount Item Type (25L)
5.45 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM) Grain
0.75 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM) Grain
mash 66 deg 1052og

60 min 15.00 gm Magnum [14.80 %] (60 min) Hops
10 min 10.00 gm Galaxy [15.10 %] (10 min) Hops
10 min 25.00 gm Saaz [3.60 %] (10 min) Hops
0 min 15.00 gm Galaxy [15.10 %] (0 min) Hops

thinking I might dry hop with some galaxy too, what would be a good amount? another 15g?

So how much Galaxy can I use in an APA? Who has pushed it? Seems to be a few comments that you can overdo it. Is it better to blend? Just did an IPA with around 90g at each of 10min, 5, 0 and dryhop. So was thinking of scaling back to around 60g at each of those. Be nice to do all Galaxy if its not going to be too harsh.

I went with a nice clean Ale (Only Ale malt) it took a while to 'balance out'. I think I mashed a little low so less malt hanging around, It was a little harsh to begin with...had 60m 20m and flamout additions, 60 min to around 30 IBU and then a cooks measurement of around 10g at 20 and 0 (I did a 16 litre batch). I added a heap of Galaxy (probably twice that of my ale) to a stout as a tester and it is fantastic. massive hop flavour that blends in well with the stouts roasty flavours. Certainly not harsh.

Would do the stout again (if I could rememebr what I did - a pinch here and handle there), would do the other one with 2/3 Ale 1/3 munich and perhaps some crystal and add more at 20 and 0.

Back