Millenium And Galaxy Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

warrenlw63

Just a Hoe
Reaction score
First impressions of my very young Galaxy Blonde are straight up fruit along the lines of passionfruit, I dont get the typical grapefruit and resinous flavour/mouthfeel of cascade. I also get some piny aroma/flavours that makes this hop very similar to simcoe for me.

For an aussie hop I am very impressed :icon_cheers:
Hey Jye, I totally agree.

I actually find it one of those hops that makes me constantly re-evaluate. I'm inclined to think I even get some mango hints.

I find it similar to Simcoe but with some floral notes that wouldn't be out of place in some Euro hops.

Rapidly becoming one of my faves. :)

Warren -

edoeven

Reaction score
I decided to brew a pils grain bill I had already crushed as a pale ale (us-05) with some galaxy, as my lager starter I was going to use the grain with still wasnt ready... this is what I went with :
Amount Item Type (25L)
5.45 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM) Grain
0.75 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM) Grain
mash 66 deg 1052og

60 min 15.00 gm Magnum [14.80 %] (60 min) Hops
10 min 10.00 gm Galaxy [15.10 %] (10 min) Hops
10 min 25.00 gm Saaz [3.60 %] (10 min) Hops
0 min 15.00 gm Galaxy [15.10 %] (0 min) Hops

thinking I might dry hop with some galaxy too, what would be a good amount? another 15g?

ohitsbrad

Reaction score
So how much Galaxy can I use in an APA? Who has pushed it? Seems to be a few comments that you can overdo it. Is it better to blend? Just did an IPA with around 90g at each of 10min, 5, 0 and dryhop. So was thinking of scaling back to around 60g at each of those. Be nice to do all Galaxy if its not going to be too harsh.

jbirbeck

Reaction score
I went with a nice clean Ale (Only Ale malt) it took a while to 'balance out'. I think I mashed a little low so less malt hanging around, It was a little harsh to begin with...had 60m 20m and flamout additions, 60 min to around 30 IBU and then a cooks measurement of around 10g at 20 and 0 (I did a 16 litre batch). I added a heap of Galaxy (probably twice that of my ale) to a stout as a tester and it is fantastic. massive hop flavour that blends in well with the stouts roasty flavours. Certainly not harsh.

Would do the stout again (if I could rememebr what I did - a pinch here and handle there), would do the other one with 2/3 Ale 1/3 munich and perhaps some crystal and add more at 20 and 0.