Millenium Ale Hahn Special Vintage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kman

Reaction score
Anyone tried this? i think i came out sometime in 1999, to be drank on the 2000 new year.

I know a bottleshop owner that has a few that he has in the celar at the shop, and im thinking of buying them off him.

But first, is it any good? And what should i be paying for them? Will they increase in value?

cheers

I paid $10 for one which was bottled in 1999. This was in early 2003. It had been aged in the wine cellar of a bottleshop.

Heres my notes:

Hahn Special Vintage - 64/100
AR:6/10, AP:4/5, FL:5/10, PA:4/5, OV:13/20
Pours deep deep amber-brown, with a fine creamy beige head. Caramel and hop aromas, with a similar taste. Strong smokey and bitter aftertaste. Smooth and full mouthfeel.

I'd like to re-rate it again though, as back then I wasnt very experienced when it came to flavour identification. I used to incorrectly describe burnt / roast flavours as smokey. I do remember it being quite unrefined though, and dissapointed with it.

Edit - Just reading through some ratings for some US guys, seems they picked up some bottles of the 2000 vintage, which apparently aged very well. They all seemed to enjoy it. I think there were two different brews, one made in 1999, and one made in 2000. Best option would be to pick up one bottle and give it a try!

yeah, the ones im looking at are 1999 ones

I have 4 at home and do plan to put them on ebay if i can but i didnt pay a lot for em and not sure what the current rate would be but i know its a limited edition beer

At one point last year Vintage Cellars where promoting them to their club members only, but they quickly withdrew the offer on the grounds of quality problems :ph34r:

How they had been stored, of course, I know not.

I remember tasting it at a Chuck Hahn food festival dinner. My recollection of the beer was ordinary, and I'm glad I hadn't bought it specially.

My $0.02
Doc

Jazman said:
I have 4 at home and do plan to put them on ebay if i can but i didnt pay a lot for em and not sure what the current rate would be but i know its a limited edition beer
[post="66364"][/post]​

Jazman, just don't go asking some ridiculous price for them, it's not Stockade lager you know :D !

C&B
TDA

THE DRUNK ARAB said:
it's not Stockade lager you know :D !

C&B
TDA
[post="66426"][/post]​

Mmmmm..... The highly redoubtable Stockade. :lol: :lol:

Warren -

I tried one recently and although stored well was getting some vegemitey flavours..It was none the less tasty after a day of Heineken!

I have 2 left and will crack one soon to celebrate a mate finishing his uni degree! - I thought it was a pretty good strong ale, though I think you would get better value and quality out of a chimay blue

Back