Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonMac

Reaction score
Can any one tell me the correct gap setting for my motorised grain mill or where to read on the topic. Are there suppliers in Adelaide where I can purchase a pump to transfer cooled wort.

The gap - what sort of mill do you have? 2 roll, 3 roll, porket?

The pump of choice of AHB members seems to be the March Pump. A search will reveal info, but www.grainandgrape.com.au sell them.

Hi Don Mac,
The gap on your mill rollers will vary with the brand and size of the rollers.
A good figure to start at would be around 0.040" however with a two roller you may get some tearing of the husk.
Speed of rotation may have a bearing also and what some brewers do is put the grain through at a larger gap initially then run it through again at the final setting.
Some also dampen the grain slightly and this helps with keeping the husks in tack.
Of course all the above comments on gap will depend wether your mill is adjustable or not.
The March pump to my knowledge is not available in Adelaide but Grain and Grape will be able to help you.
Do a search on this site under pumps/ March pumps, and for mill info, Mills/ Grain mills. There will be a few hours reading with both these topics :D
Cheers

Thanks to igriffi. and Dicko very helpful info. Donmac.

G'day donmac i set mine to 1mm i can adjust it to suit what ever i am crushing but found it to be the best for my setup.

Cheers

Stagger

Back