Milk, Absolute Bloody Scandal

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Supermarket milk contains around 15% of "permeate", a green slimy waste product of cheese which is bleached and deodorised to make it look like milk.
This is perfectly legal and it never seems to get discussed.

linky

Not that I agree that milk should be tampered with in any way, but...

what is permeate? It's described a the collection of milk sugars (lactose), vitamins and minerals that are left over from cheese production. If this is added back to milk, we're not only dealing with edible waste products in a responsible way (eating rather than dumping them) but we're adding back vitamins and minerals to milk that are often reduced during the pasteurisation process?

The bleaching and deodorising doesn't sound good, but the fact that it's called permeate and sounds like a checmical additive gives Today Tonight the sensational edge that milk companies are screwing us over.

Again, I'd love to buy unpasteurised unhomogenised milk if possible. But I make cheese and I see the amount of waste in the process. In some sense, it's great that we're reusing that waste, even if it does save the big companies money...

Actually, this is a pretty good article...
http://foodwatch.com.au/hot-issues-in-the-...k-permeate.html

You're paying $1/L for this stuff, what are you expecting? It's like people saying 'OMG I can't believe the garbage of the animal goes into my spam'

You're paying $1/L for this stuff, what are you expecting? It's like people saying 'OMG I can't believe the garbage of the animal goes into my spam'

I pay $1/L for boutique beer, and there's no slimy crap in that.

I agree with Paul the farmer:
You know, its really a labelling issue. The consumer has every right to know what they're purchasing."
Other than that and that I'd be happier if they kept the lactose out, don't see why it matters, sure it might be a byproduct of cheese making, but that does not mean it's bad for you or a 'waste' product you shouldn't eat.

I eat Vegemite and we all know what beverage manufacturing process that is a 'waste' product from. ;)

I agree with Paul the farmer:
You know, its really a labelling issue. The consumer has every right to know what they're purchasing."
Other than that and that I'd be happier if they kept the lactose out, don't see why it matters, sure it might be a byproduct of cheese making, but that does not mean it's bad for you or a 'waste' product you shouldn't eat.

I eat Vegemite and we all know what beverage manufacturing process that is a 'waste' product from. ;)

I totally didn't know that about Vegemite!!!

Vegemite is made from used brewers' yeast extract, a by-product of beer manufacturing

No wonder I like it so much haha

Supermarket milk contains around 15% of "permeate", a green slimy waste product of cheese which is bleached and deodorised to make it look like milk.
This is perfectly legal and it never seems to get discussed.
linky

Sensationalism. It is stuff taken from milk and then added to milk? What is wrong with that?
You could say whey is Permeate. It used to be quite common for pigs to be fed whey.

What is probably worse for you is light milk. Why drink something that has the goodness taken out of it! It is essentially 100% Permeate isn't it? (If we broaden the scope of the term).

Depends on who you believe: "Permeate is a collective term for the lactose, water, vitamins and minerals components of milk produced by a separation process called ultra filtration. It is not a by-product of cheese." " In cheese-making, the standardisation process happens before the cheese is made not after the cheese-making process." Dairy Australia http://www.dairyaustralia.com.au/Dairy-foo...facts-FAQs.aspx

No more milk stout for you Bribie G, your lactose probably came from permeate.

The whole point is that the average joe in the street doesn't know about this. For example if I bought "Fresh Beef Mince" from Woolies and had it analysed and found that it actually contained 20% ground up unsold smallgoods from the deli bar that they would otherwise have to toss out, I'm sure the local fair trading would have a thing or two to say.

Now mince with ground up smallgoods might be quite palatable and even desirable in some recipes - could make a cracking spag bog sauce - but they should declare it onthe label, and to do it secretly is unethical IMHO.

The whole point is that the average joe in the street doesn't know about this. For example if I bought "Fresh Beef Mince" from Woolies and had it analysed and found that it actually contained 20% ground up unsold smallgoods from the deli bar that they would otherwise have to toss out, I'm sure the local fair trading would have a thing or two to say.

Now mince with ground up smallgoods might be quite palatable and even desirable in some recipes - could make a cracking spag bog sauce - but they should declare it onthe label, and to do it secretly is unethical IMHO.

You are ******* kidding.......

Bribie.... sorry, but you are full of shit on this one

if the average person doesnt know about it by now they must have theyre eyes shut and ears blocked. its been featured on the 630 shows at least twice in the past 12 months that i know of and talked about endlessly on am radio stations for days after each time. i look at it like eating a dim sim or meat pie, if i thought about what garbage goes in the things labeled as meat i would never go near them but i just push it out of my mind and enjoy the shit out of them.

You are ******* kidding.......

Bribie.... sorry, but you are full of shit on this one

Please explain glasshopper :rolleyes:

Point is when you buy milk you assume you are getting the stuff out of the tit, not milk that has been blended with by product. If you are not getting pure milk then this should be on the label.

Milk: May contain stuff we took out of milk then blended back in.

I agree that clear labelling for all foodstuffs would be good but even the sources of this 'disgraceful scandal' (aca, Herald etc) are enough to make me sniff media beat up more than Dairy industry scam.

I prefer biodynamic and organic milks anyway. If I could suck it straight from the teat I would but people might think it was strange if she wasn't my cow.

If i can use Bribie's example but make a small correction, adding permeate to milk likens itself more to making mince meat out of a lean cut of meat but then adding some extra fat to the mix.
It is also a really cool colour a fluro yellow with a hint of green it looks like it would glow in the dark.
Cheers Stu

I wondered why my Aldi milk glows in the dark , thanks for that :)

if the average person doesnt know about it by now they must have theyre eyes shut and ears blocked. its been featured on the 630 shows at least twice in the past 12 months that i know of and talked about endlessly on am radio stations for days after each time.
Don't assume that everyone watches commercial television, let alone shit shows on commercial TV.
Or listens to radio, especially shit radio stations that talk about bullshit like this.

I had not head of this "Absolute Bloody Scandal" before, because the only time I watch commercial TV is when live-sport is on, everything else is download advertisement free, so that I can enjoy the 10-15mins of advertisement time each hour doing other things, like reading these forums and learning about such scandals. ;)
The only radio I listen to is in the car, and then it's usually JJJ but more often than not it's MP3's there anyway.

I agree with clear labelling, however I don't see a problem if it is what gets taken out at one stage only to be added back in.
Couldnt you label it "milk, permeate (derived from milk)."?
Clear labelling is an absolute must, ingredients as well as country of origin!J

Back