Mikkeller Single Hop Ipa's

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spiesy

Illmatic
Reaction score
Whilst they're certainly pricey, I've recently been digging using the Mikkeller Single Hop IPA's to try and learn about particular hops. Being fairly new to HB'ing, I've found them very useful for this purpose. I'd imagine that as long as the beer is still relatively fresh - then it should paint a good picture of what a hop is about.

Anyone else doing this?

Yesterday I tried the Summit (awful, and unfortunately I have a half a pound of Summit in my freezer) and Amarillo (wanted to confirm if it's the Amarillo that makes me not enjoy JSGA... it is, like licking the back of a postage stamp imho).

The other week I gave the Centennial a go, to confirm what I thought was Centennial in Temple's Black IPA... and it turns out it was.

Amarillo is good. How dare you think differently to me!

I've been doing the same, Summit shouldn't be alone.

Simcoe was nice.

Sorachi Ace is a horrible hop that is in vogue right now.

Centennial was ok.

Haven't tried Bravo, and a few others. Killing my budget at $6 a bottle.

All I really like at the moment is Cascarillo. Can't get over it. I suppose once I get through my 82 litres of it I will be cured!

lol @ Amarillo call.

A strong dose of it, like in the Mikkeller IPA, is quite nice. I just find that Squire's Golden Ale is a little like licking the back of a stamp (more so these days, the beer that is).

$6 a pop? Mate, I forked out $10 a pop @ old mate's in Thornbury (can't recall the name). Where did you get them for $6? Would like to try the Simcoe.

lol @ Amarillo call.

A strong dose of it, like in the Mikkeller IPA, is quite nice. I just find that Squire's Golden Ale is a little like licking the back of a stamp (more so these days, the beer that is).

$6 a pop? Mate, I forked out $10 a pop @ old mate's in Thornbury (can't recall the name). Where did you get them for $6? Would like to try the Simcoe.

I too would like to find these for $6 - saw these on the weekend for $10 for 330?mls.

I had a couple of different ones during 2010 GBBF and EKG was very good.

Bridge road have done both summer and galaxy IPA's. good way to get to know hops. 5 ish a bottle. black hearts and sparrows nth fitzroy

lol @ Amarillo call.

Blackhearts and Sparrows, Brunswick, North Fitzroy and St Kilda.

Has some other Mikeller's for $9-10 but the single hop range is $6

They had kegs of the single hops on tap at their bar on Lygon st, atticus finch. I think they still have some left but they are off rotation at the moment.

I had a couple of $5 Brooklyn ABA's @ Huxtaburger in Fitzroy during Good Beer Week, and they was shithouse. Terrible. I'm hoping it was somehow off....
I've been to their brewery and really enjoyed their beers, but this was ordinary at best.

Back