Might need help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonenose

Reaction score
Just bought a bag of chook food and was looking at the grain wondering how it would mash up. Am I in trouble, is this wrong, do I need to look for a support group or something?

Bet that more than likely it hasn't been malted, so of little use to you in brewing in any quantity.

do I need to look for a support group or something?

This might be best idea at this stage.
17904161_1447464065310292_3968869080677205158_n.jpg

Last edited:
What sort of chook food? Does the label specify?... If it's a grass grain (wheat / barley) you can almost certainly use it as part of the grain bill.

Pretty sure op was having a laugh.

Buy good quality malted barley, feed the grain once mashed to the chooks.

Much better order of approach.

somebody please fix the search!!!

What is that thread I'm looking for called : "You know your addicted to brewing when".... Something like that???
Were is that thread when you want it? So appropriate to post a link to it now but, cant find it :rolleyes:

I made malt/beer out of 'feed grade barley and it tasted great.

Don't let your imagination be limited.

The major concern is not the grain itself... but any potential contaminants if it's low quality floor sweepings.. Metals, glass, plastics, non food grade fungicides..etc.
Top grade feed should be clean enough, but you do take the risk...

Decotions. For unmodified grains. Take two days of hydrating grains, heating, mashing, decoctioning, hard work! In the old days.
It made beer.
I feel I have the privilege of buying local malted local grain. Powels Malts http://www.powellsmalt.com.au/
Fresh as I can get may not be up to the supreme brands but its fresher and it works with a unique positive signature as may any freshest product. :cool:

I may be incorrect but my understanding is the decoction process gelatinises the barley and makes the starch more accessible to enzyme conversion. It won't produce or replace enzymatic action - some diastatic power source is still required.

cant you mix in some unmalted with malted and the enzymes from malted work on the unmalted for you?

think i used "malt" to often in the above

cant you mix in some unmalted with malted and the enzymes from malted work on the unmalted for you?

think i used "malt" to often in the above

Yes. Surplus diastatic power from base malt is what's needed, decoction or cereal mash can make it easier.

My Layman's understanding is the old ways with straight grains, maybe adjuncts, selected starches, cold mash, to warmer the mash, to decoctions of the mash to work it through all the step temps etc is, has worked for very long time past. The evolution to extract the sugars etc. Selection of these ingredients has been modernized with modified grains etc, at our privilege.
So basically saying that unmodified grist is still good considering sugar conversions etc?

Back