Mig Welders

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nonicman

Slack Brewery
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a mig welder and was wondering what the thoughts of the expericenced metal workers are.

So was wondering if this is much good

mig welder on ebay

Not really considering this welder but would love to hear input on this sort of thing. Looking to use one it to build a brew stand and other numerous projects (which would include SS):).

P.S (I was once a boilermakers TA in another life but never really paid much attention due to the sparks :) )

nonicman said:
I'm looking at getting a mig welder and was wondering what the thoughts of the expericenced metal workers are.
Not really considering this welder but would love to hear input on this sort of thing. Looking to use one it to build a brew stand and other numerous projects (which would include SS):).
[post="57870"][/post]​
I am no expert in this area but if you wanted to weld very thin SS (eg tanks) you might also want to take a look at TIG welders.

in my experiance , these little machines are great if you only want to do a little lite fabrication / repair work but anything serious needs a decent type of machine .

Check the duty cycle on any machine you are looking at .

mig welding s/s is not as ezy as it looks and a tig is a lot nicer to use and cleaner to .
cheers fnq bunyip

tig_stick_welder.jpg
at work all the portable small welders are 240v tig/stick welders so you have the advantage of tig and stick for a variety of jobs. maybe this would be a better choice.
similar machine as picture.

Stainless is a prick to weld any time with a mig ot tig i have used a mig on my kettle with s/s wire its ok but a lot to clean up a mig can be good on light guage but i would say a min of 1.6 mm or 16 gauge.With the mig do bit of research for a new one price you may get a new at similar price

To weld stainless Tig or Mig is fine i weld it all day every day at work in my own brew kit most of it silver soldered it is much cleaner all you need is an oxy. I Tig all the parts that have no contact with the wort.

Stagger

If you're careful ,you can stick weld ss with ss rods. I stick welded taps onto a few brew kettles, no dramas. Its also cheaper to buy a box of ss welding rods, than a whole roll of wire ( i think ). Also, TIG is pretty tricky, whereas stick and mig are easier ( in my experience anyway, im not a boily ).

Latest posts

Back