Mid Strength/low Alcohol Belgian

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah absolutely, plan on pitching tomorrow or Monday and ferment at ambient temp in my brew cave which should be around 24. Gonna be a hot one this week in melbourne but I suspect it will finish by Friday/Saturday then I'll just let it condition for another week or two and bottle.

Midnight Brew said:
Plan on brewing a saison today to about 3-4% Abv with Belle Saison.

Simple Summer Ale
75% Ale
25% Wheat
Magnum FWH to 15 IBU
Saaz (cube 20min) to 7IBU
Belle Saison around 24C and above.

I want to mash at 70C and this will affect attenuation. BS2 predicts 1010FG and it will no doubt go lower.

These beers are suppose to be dry and I think I will still reach the ball park of saison FG but my question is: Is there a better way to achieve this lower abv other then a 70C mash. Should I go less on the malt and lower on the mash temp? Or brew as planned?
mje1980 said:
Can you update the fg of the saison please?, keen to know.
Did this at 70c Mash and went for a midstrength og 1038. Pitched Monday (4 days ago) and its down to 1.004, 89% AA. Started about 28C and has been at 24 for about 2 days.

Belle Saison is a beast!

Thinking of kegging a 9.5L now as I just ran out. Let the other half condition a bit longer and then bottle/keg.

Planning another saison now to make the most of this hot weather and will adjust according to taste of this recipe.

My saison is drinking really well and very clean for what temp it was fermented. Really small amount of esters from the aroma. Matches so well with Saaz and wheat malt. I feel my recipe could improve in many ways but no doubt its a sessionable throw back beer. Just brewed an APA so one cube is getting belle saison which Im hoping matches up with citrus hops well. After that I think it may be time to source some liquid saison yeasts if there is still time left in the saison/season.

Its pretty cold in Melbourne tonight (well not really but feels cold) and Im enjoying the last of this keg. Has a nice puckering zing to it from the saaz matched with the wheat no doubt and pours crystal clear. 2 beers in a row with no chill haze! Could almost call this another house recipe but wanna play around a bit more. Had some friends over the other night and went and picked up the keg tonight to see how much was left and its safe to say its almost empty. They all loved it and thought it was very approachable and better then what they usually swill.

Winning the war one day at a time.

Back