Microbiological Yeast Culture

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weizguy

Barley Bomber
Reaction score
Anyone done any agar yeast culture?

I wanna know, please, if U think I could get a decent culture from a contaminated sample.

I was thinkin' "yes", and here's why...
*U should be able to get rid of bacteria through acid washing.
* Surely you could get back to a yeast monoculture, cloning (breeding) a single pure strain of yeast. I'd suggest plate culture and streaking (not the sort that happens at the cricket or footy) .:lol:

I fear the only problem would be mutation.

I should prob shell out the bikkies for a new culture, but I got unfinished business with this one. It never made a decent beer in it's life (at my place). First batch was contaminated. Wild yeast. Eeeeeew, nasty. Tipped out a batch of Czech Pils. I prob shoulda cried at the time, instead of holding a grudge against this yeast, I know.

Would it be worth it?

Seth the Biologist :chug:

Weizguy

Yep, no probs, you can do it. You just keep on taking a piece from the plate to the next plate and continue to isolate the colony you want.
Repeat until you get a clean colony of the yeast you want.

It is a lot easier to buy a new culture, unless the yeast is very unique.

Pedro

What if the wild yeast looks the same as the yeast he wants? Especially without a microscope.

sosman

Even a wild yeast may look the same as a genuine one, but bacteria will be different.

I never said it was going to be easy, did I :p ?

Cheers
Pedro

Back