Mice in grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our cat "ghengis" doesn't give them much quarter, I often feel quite sorry for them... Hell of a way to leave the earth,even if they are a pest..

Our cat must be a weak thing....only likes birds. We had a mouse caught at the bottom of our stairwell, stuck between a door and the stairs. Sent the cat down, he looks at it and turns around and runs back up the stairs. Wasnt interested at all. Sent the dog down, she smelled the mouse, looked up at us as if to say "its a cat job". Ended up having to deal with it myself.

Gave up on cats after losing 2 to the local snake population. If you can't beat them, join them.

You could try one of these. Cheap to maintain, non poisonous and very very very effective at keeping mice under control and chook egg numbers in check.

I might add, this one's only about 1.8 m long, his bigger mate's more like 5 m long and currently resides amongst a tangle of (this year anyway) disused christmas light frames.

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/gallery/album/1164-general/?view_style=large

"Neca ecos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet."

or...

"Kill 'em ALL & let God sort 'em out". :super:

Most of the older brewers who have visited the Batcave have seen Monty, he lives in my shed as does my grain. He does a great job unless he eats a possum, then he sleeps for a couple of weeks.

Mouse traps are a fun thing with me, I do get the odd mouse or two in my bar room. I love to set traps and try my best to catch the little f&ckers, set them as light as possible without sore fingers. Bait is a whole new game and depends on the mouse. :p

I had mouse/rat problems for years (10+) my kids have had pet rats for around 6 months, since then, not a single 1

Apparently they are very territorial, they smell a rat and find somewhere else to go

Many years ago when my boys still lived at home we had a game, a mouse trap each (same type). You can pick your bait, you set the trap, you pick where to put it.

Who can catch the most mice? Dead mice where then fed to the ducks, worked well.

manticle said:
I'm a live/let live kind of guy -relocate spiders, etc (except whitetails & mosquitos) but this particular mouse takeover gave me the worst gastro I have ever encountered and we were overrun. Could hear the bastards pissing in the pantry and taunting me at 2am while I popped another panadeine forte. I felt like my insides had been taken out, washed, oven baked and dried on the line, then put back in in the wrong orientation.

No cats at that time. Took me weeks to get over the symptoms but on the upside, I did start making sculptures from mouse bones.
and drawing pictures of them, no doubt. :)

Yob said:
Our cat "ghengis" doesn't give them much quarter, I often feel quite sorry for them... Hell of a way to leave the earth,even if they are a pest..
Circle of life Yob, circle of life.

TommyC said:
Our cat must be a weak thing....only likes birds. We had a mouse caught at the bottom of our stairwell, stuck between a door and the stairs. Sent the cat down, he looks at it and turns around and runs back up the stairs. Wasnt interested at all. Sent the dog down, she smelled the mouse, looked up at us as if to say "its a cat job". Ended up having to deal with it myself.
Should have called in the Arbitration Commission.

Yob said:
Our cat "ghengis" doesn't give them much quarter, I often feel quite sorry for them..
Calling it Ghengis kind of set the tone from the beginning. Should have called it Mercy or Charity or somesuch.

Newts said:
Cheers for the replies. Was expecting a "use the search button" reply but I couldn't find anything.

They only chewed the corner of the bag and looks like they've eaten it as it's come out. I poured a bit out the little hole they made and all the grain in the bag seems to be intact. No strange smell or anything so guess ill use it and see how it goes.

I got the grain from the city 600km away so it's not like I can go get more anyway.

I was thinking that as well. Surely the grain facilities would have mice come through.

Have to figure out how to mouse proof all my grain and extract now. Hopefully these plastic containers and a higher spot do the trick.
I use 50 litre new plastic rubbish bins with "clip-on" lids - $10 and so much easier than sacks when weighing out grain, with the use of a rigid plastic container as a scoop.
There's no way a mouse could chew into them - and if you have house-rats, you've got bigger problems than nibbled grain sacks.
(yes, I had the same issue with mice, mainly because I was keeping the cat shut out of the brew storeroom).

Thought the act of fermentation rendered it safe to drink. Isn't that why they always drank beer in the middle ages?

real_beer said:
Why use cats any more? These are free and there's billions of them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DnQv__Gd7Q
And I've been chasing these buggers out of the brew area all these years. I'm retiring my Dettol sprayer.

manticle said:
Calling it Ghengis kind of set the tone from the beginning. Should have called it Mercy or Charity or somesuch.
When we got him, it totally fit his character, is was that or Vlad... And that was toward humans, he should (in that light) be called fluffy hugsy bunkins..

This might be a better more eco-friendly solution than a cane toad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4enilF4pEko
If you need them for rats maybe a bit of exposure to nuclear atomic waste radiation might mutate them into a larger size species to do the job.

NOOSKI mouse trap.
from bunnings.

The kiwi's make great beer and great mouse traps.

I wiped out an entire family of mice in about 3 days.

I got my first one after about 3 minutes of setting the trap.

I keep a little bowl full of Bromokil under my shed, where nothing but rats and mice could get to it. Something is eating it as i have to refill it once every few months, but I sure haven't seen any rodents since I started doing it. When they eat that stuff they get thirsty, then go in search of water, once they do they promptly bleed to death from the guts, but ive only ever once seen a dead rat next to a pot-plant dish with a bit of pooled water. Im guessing the rest die offsite.

Back