Methods Of Testing Ph

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterS

Reaction score
I just finished reading the thread on rain water, which prompted me to ask how you guys are measuring the pH.? If you are using a meter which I believe can be quite expensive, I would appreciate where you got it from and how much it cost you. Similar with test strips, where can you get those from and are they good enough for our purpose..

By the way, I tried the search feature in this board, and no matter what I typed in I got an error only. I am sure this was discussed before but I can't find it.

Keep on Brewin'
:chug:

I Bought mine from here.

http://www.milwaukeemeters.com.au/

Go to the portable meters section, mine is the SM100 $149

bsm100.jpg

I bought a pHScan BNC style and a local elecrode from Ionode. You can buy complete pH meters for less than I paid for the electrode but I can clean it with Jiff (its actually recommended).

Beer/wort is not very friendly to pH meter electrodes. If you are just measuring water pH then that is less of an issue.

Also, without some idea of the buffering power of your water/mixture, the pH figure alone can make estimating additions difficult.

My meter is a pH checker from Farnels when they had them on special.

My buffer solution for calibrating comes from Grain and Grape.

If you do buy a pH meter, you really need at least one calibration solution (acid) for beer preferably two. You also need a storage solution, for mine this is 2M KCl (potassium chloride) which I just mixed up at work.

pH meters need lots of TLC.

Peter,
I've given the test strips a go, but i think they a bit too awkward and inaccurate to use. plus you would go through a s*/t load if you were trying to make corrections to the mash. I think a ph meter would be ten times better if you can get one.

anyway, grain and grape sell both if your interested

vlbaby.

sosman said:
I bought a pHScan BNC style and a local elecrode from Ionode. You can buy complete pH meters for less than I paid for the electrode but I can clean it with Jiff (its actually recommended).

Hi Sosman, how much was your ph meter elecctrode?

Ausdb

Hey no one has mentioned they use their tongue to measure PH :p
No joke i have heard of a brewer (mainly wine) who claims he can. <_<

Jayse

Latest posts

Back