Metal Spoon In Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christ

Reaction score
ok guys i'm not sure how but when i finished bottling today i noticed that i must have somehow left a metal spoon in the fermenter when i started the brew. just wondering if this will effect the beer at all? pretty sure it won't be a problem but thought i'd better make sure.

cheers

If it was stainless steel like most cutlery, I wouldnt stress about it, as long as it was clean and sterile.

Silver also shouldnt be an issue, and I seem to recall some people adding copper to ciders etc (the reason excapes me).

Maybe this will affect the flavour of the beer, maybe its how CUB get that horrid metallic taste in thier crap.

If it was a galvanised spoon, you're laughing. I have heard of brewing companies who follow the German purity laws inspecting the fermenter with a galvanised ladder, then "forgetting" to remove it, as a way of adding zinc to the next lot of wort pumped in there. Most metals in small amounts will be good yeast nutrient. If you find this the best beer you ever made, be sure to do it agin in future.

BTW, thats a big call on the username. I guess I havent posted anything you were already omnisciently aware of.

watch out for the odd lightning bolt on your next brewday gl.he maybe watching ;)

christ,

Your not a doctor are you??

I hear they have a habit of leaving tools of trade on (or in) the job.

:lol: :lol: :ph34r:

Cheers

haha cheers guys. tastes pretty nice already, i'll let you know how it is in a few weeks.

Hey Christ.Perhaps u could put a rusty nail in it(from the crucifixion)and call it easter ale. :lol:

:D

i think i remember how it got in there now. I was pouring the coopers tin into the fermenter and i sliced my finger open on the sharp edge. i must have dropped the spoon in then. those tins are deadly :( a fair bit of my blood got into the brew aswell because my finger was pissing with blood.

does a little blood have any bad effects on beer?
maybe it will make it awesome, the blood of christ.

did you bless the beer. it coul dbe communion beer, containing the blood of christ

Couldn't you just turn water straight into beer without all the bleeding & messing about with can openers? :lol:

Back