Merri Mashers Specialty IPA Comp 2016

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are we there yet?....are we there yet?...are we there yet?

We're hoping Compmaster will be finalised soon - apologies for the delay, we've hit a few snags.

RESULTS

Champion Brewer: Deon Smit and Maggie Rose
Champion Beer: Tim Armstrong (White IPA)

CATEGORY PLACINGS:

Rye IPA: 1. Deon Smit and Maggie Rose (Merri Mashers). 2. Grant Morley (Westgate Brewers). 3. Mark Connors (Merri Mashers).
White IPA: 1. Tim Armstrong (No Club). 2. Tim Messina (N/C). 3. Deon Smit and Maggie Rose (MM).
Brown IPA: 1. Julian Robinson (MM). 2. Brook Petrie (MM). 3. Elwyn Holloway (MM).
Black IPA: 1. Deon Smit and Maggie Rose (MM). 2. Sye Declerck (N/C). 3. Kris Nilsen (N/C).
Belgian IPA: 1. Briony Dowling (Westgate). 2. Deon Smit and Maggie Rose (MM). 3. Brook Petrie (MM).
Red IPA: 1. Julian Robinson (MM). 2. Kris Nilsen (MM). 3. Lukas Clews (N/C).
Club of Show: Merri Mashers (MM)
Best Novice Brewer: TBC
Carwyn's Choice: TBC

A big thank you to all of our awesome sponsors!
Congratulations to all entrants and winners - look out for the comp next year as it's going to be bigger and better with some exciting changes!

http://merrimashers.org/ipa-comp-2016

Good to see the results and score sheets up on compmaster but I'm a bit confused about my scores. The judges scored me 32, 29, 25. But the published result is 64.5 and I can't work out how that figure has been calculated.

WoW.. LOOKS disappointing that the only entries come from non club members and Merry Mashers.. with a smattering of Westgate.. MM members good work in supporting your comp! Other clubs have to get on board a little more.. sorry but bad timing for me this year as I am in South East Asia atm and was brewing a few stouts and barleywines over the last 6 months..I will be in next year !

Merry Mashers looks like you have some potential recruitment of those non-club members !

NealK said:
Good to see the results and score sheets up on compmaster but I'm a bit confused about my scores. The judges scored me 32, 29, 25. But the published result is 64.5 and I can't work out how that figure has been calculated.
Maybe they just assumed you would be last? lol..

just contact the organisers to make an enquiry ... I would and if it is right congratulations.

Grainer said:
WoW.. LOOKS disappointing that the only entries come from non club members and Merry Mashers.. with a smattering of Westgate.. MM members good work in supporting your comp! Other clubs have to get on board a little more.. sorry but bad timing for me this year as I am in South East Asia atm and was brewing a few stouts and barleywines over the last 6 months..I will be in next year !

Merry Mashers looks like you have some potential recruitment of those non-club members !
Yeah, the turn out wasn't great, particularly from other clubs - but I hear that all clubs are suffering from this right now. I think all clubs need to make a more concerted effort to support each other and promote each others events. The Mashers will be improving on this from now on.

NealK said:
Very sorry, Neal. We had a bit of a hiccup on the day where the club had to run Compmaster ourselves, due to unforeseen circumstances. We have all the score sheets on hand, as soon as we sort this out we will update. Very sorry for the delays.

Any chance of the winners posting their recipes or is it too secret? :)

Spiesy said:
Yeah, the turn out wasn't great, particularly from other clubs - but I hear that all clubs are suffering from this right now. I think all clubs need to make a more concerted effort to support each other and promote each others events. The Mashers will be improving on this from now on.
Well Westgate has just confirmed the final numbers for this weekends Stout Extravaganza and we are down 40% on last year. That is quite dramatic given we have had 25% year on year growth over recent years. So this is not just a Merri Mashers issue and may be the clubs need to come together to work this through?

NealK said:
Neal, your published result should be 86. We had a judge that was a no-show in the Brown category, which altered calculated results. Sorry about that.

The Brown Category has now been edited: http://merrimashers.org/ipa-comp-2016

Congratulations to Deon Smit and Maggie Rose (Merri Mashers) for winning the Carwyn's Choice award for their Rye IPA.

Just waiting on news from Compmaster regarding Best Novice.

Did Matt Collinson (Compmaster) or Briony Dowling (MM webpage) win the Belgian IPA category?

Black n Tan said:
Did Matt Collinson (Compmaster) or Briony Dowling (MM webpage) win the Belgian IPA category?
Good get. They are one and the same. The winner, Mr. Matt Collinson, initially entered his beer under his wife's name (Briony), for fear of it being shit. When it won, he wanted bragging rights.

And just in case anyone was wondering, that was his only entry in the category that we are aware of.

We have now updated the MM website with the requested edit.

Spiesy said:
Good get. They are one and the same. The winner, Mr. Matt Collinson, initially entered his beer under his wife's name (Briony), for fear of it being shit. When it won, he wanted bragging rights.

And just in case anyone was wondering, that was his only entry in the category that we are aware of.

Sneaky little bugger. I say keep it in his wife's name.

Black n Tan said:
Well Westgate has just confirmed the final numbers for this weekends Stout Extravaganza and we are down 40% on last year. That is quite dramatic given we have had 25% year on year growth over recent years. So this is not just a Merri Mashers issue and may be the clubs need to come together to work this through?
Damn.. that is a huge reduction.. Sorry I only entered 2 at request as being overseas makes it a little difficult.. usually I would enter at least 6-8 in this comp as it is one of my favourite styles, but my next big/dark beer batches aren't quite ready for a comp and wasn't worth putting in stuff that has already done well in the past as I already know what needs to be done with those beers - they just need to be rebrewed now. Also you have to remember the specialty section was removed, which would have counted for quite a few as well as it tends to be a draw card for people entering! Lets see if the Bayside comp is down as well as that is coming up soon, cant say I have had the time to brew anything for that yet.. think I have too many brews in my shed, but not the required styles!

I can now announce the winner of the Grain and Grape sponsored Best Novice award goes to... (drum-roll):

Matthew Collinson, with his Belgian IPA scoring 115 points. Well done Matt.

Spiesy said:

In all fairness to Matt, he explained to me that he inadvertently entered under his wife's name on comp master due to an autofill error and when he realised (and before he won) he contacted the organisers to correct the result.

Black n Tan said:
In all fairness to Matt, he explained to me that he inadvertently entered under his wife's name on comp master due to an autofill error and when he realised (and before he won) he contacted the organisers to correct the result.
I was just re-iterating what was told to me. Maybe it was said in jest.

Latest posts

Back