Merri Mashers Specialty IPA Comp 2016

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan K said:
When sending entries by post to Home Make It. Should we put an ATT Name. Or will just MM Comp or something like that do? I think I put ATT Cade last year but that was after a bit of correspondence on here. Just want to make sure my entry ends up in the right hands that's all.
Cheers
All mailed in entries can be marked Attn: Merri Mashers Specialty IPA Comp. Thanks

Sad news, folks - due to unforseen circumstances, Full Pint will no longer be sponsoring the Champion Brewer prize. This means we can no longer offer the year supply of White Labs liquid yeast as the prize for this category. The replacement prize will be announced as soon as it has been confirmed. Watch this space...

Heads up, AHB Posse, entries close midday tomorrow (Sat 11th June) for the 2016 Merri Mashers Specialty IPA Comp.

The good news: entries are a little light on compared to last year, which means you stand a good chance of winning.
The bad news: entries are a little light on compared to last year, c'mon guys and gals!

http://merrimashers.org/ipa-comp-2016

Please note, that whilst online entry closes at midday tomorrow, entries can also be physically dropped off at the Terminus Hotel until 1pm Sat 18th June - as long as you have registered your entry online by cutoff tomorrow.

Does that mean 11th June at the drop off points?

Grainer said:
Does that mean 11th June at the drop off points?
Yes.

All is explained within Compmaster - but here's a quick rundown:

Entry Instructions:

• Entries close midday, June 11. Entries are $8 each. Min entry size 500ml.
  • See below for drop off points and further details regarding drop off dates.
  • Entries are being judged against category 21B of the new 2015 BJCP Style Guidelines.
  • 21B includes Black, White, Belgian, Brown, Red & Rye IPA's.
  • As per those guidelines, you may enter your IPA as a Session, Standard or Double IPA. If you do not specify one of the three, standard will be assumed.

Drop-Off Dates:
  • Entries can be dropped off at the listed points no later than 1pm, Saturday June 11
  • Entries can also be dropped off at the Terminus Hotel (only) until 1pm June 18 BUT must have been pre-registered in CompMaster by midday June 11. No entries will be permitted on the day.

Spiesy said:
The good news: entries are a little light on compared to last year, which means you stand a good chance of winning.
The bad news: entries are a little light on compared to last year, c'mon guys and gals!
What are the numbers thus far?

We have over 50 beers, fairly uniformly spread across 6 categories, meaning (as Spiesy notes above) entrants stand a good chance of picking up a prize!

Kegged my entries last night. Was going to drop them off tomorrow at the venue, but I think I left them on the hops/trub for too long. It tastes BAD (astringent/medicinal). Reckon I should still enter them? I don't care about my entry fees, I just don't want to put the judges through having to taste it.

Get your entries in, Siborg - things might settle in bottle by Sunday! Remember, taste is subjective!

Is the comp on sunday? I thought it was sat?
Edit: never mind - re read the dates/times.

Winners are on the merri mashers Facebook page. No places posted yet.

We had an awesome time at our annual Specialty IPA Competition today. A big thanks to everyone who helped out, and to everyone who participated in the comp.

RESULTS
Champion Brewer: Deon Smit and Maggie Rose
Champion Beer: Tim Armstrong (White IPA)

Section Winners (placegetters coming soon)
Rye IPA: Deon Smit and Maggie Rose
White IPA: Tim Armstrong
Brown IPA: Julian Robinson
Black IPA: Deon Smit
Belgian IPA: Briony Dowling
Red IPA: Julian Robinson
Club of Show: Merri Mashers (awww yeaaah!)
Best Novice Brewer: TBC
Carwyn's Choice: TBC.

A big thank you to all of our awesome sponsors:
  • Terminus Hotel (thank you for hosting us again)
  • Clifton Hill Brewpub
  • Alehouse Project
  • Grain and Grape
  • Carwyn Cellars
  • Gertrude Hotel
  • Brewcult
  • Home Make It
  • Moondog Brewing
  • Thunder Road Brewing.
Congratulations to all entrants and winners - look out for the comp next year as its going to be bigger and better with some exciting changes!

All results will be uploaded to Compmaster in the coming days.

Any idea when we will see the scoresheets on compmaster?

Still waiting for the full results. Someone must know something, throw the dog a bone.

Back