Merri Mashers Specialty IPA Comp 2016

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cerevisius

Reaction score
In 2015, The Terminus Hotel (North Fitzroy) hosted the inaugural Merri Mashers Specialty IPA Comp. It was a highly successful event that confirmed the Merri Mashers’ place among Melbourne’s home brew clubs as a vibrant and innovative collective of Inner North brewers.

We are back in 2016 with the only competition dedicated to the BJCP’s newest category of Specialty IPA, with judging at The Terminus Hotel (North Fitzroy) on the 19th of June. Details can be found at http://merrimashers.org/ipa-comp-2016.

Described by some as “a vague and nebulous” category, Section 21B of the updated 2015 BJCP Style Guidelines covers an exciting arena for competitive brewing, with these styles continuing to grow in popularity. As the BJCP contend:

Specialty IPA isn’t a distinct style, but is more appropriately thought of as a competition entry category. Beers entered as this style are not experimental beers; they are a collection of currently produced types of beer that may or may not have any market longevity…

The only common element is that they have the balance and overall impression of an IPA (typically, an American IPA) but with some minor tweak. The term ‘IPA’ is used as a singular descriptor of a type of hoppy, bitter beer. It is not meant to be spelled out as ‘India Pale Ale’ when used in the context of a Specialty IPA. None of these beers ever historically went to India, and many aren’t pale. But the craft beer market knows what to expect in balance when a beer is described as an ‘IPA’ – so the modifiers used to differentiate them are based on that concept alone.

The six styles covered by Section 21B include:

· Black
· White
· Red
· Rye
· Belgian
· Brown

Prizes will be offered for winning beers in each of the six style categories, as well as for Champion Beer, Champion Brewer, Best Novice, and if they agree again, Carwyn Cellars Carwyn's Choice Award, as well as a prize for Club of Show.

All entries must be via Compmaster (http://www.compmaster.com.au). Online entries close on the 11th of June, 2016.

Entries can be dropped off at the points listed below no later than 1 pm, Saturday, the 11th of June.

Drop-off points include Wallington Rural Home Brew (370 Grubb Rd, Wallington), Grain & Grape (5/280 Whitehall St, Yarraville), Home Make It Reservoir (265 Spring St, Reservoir), Keg King (2/33-35 Smith Rd, Springvale) and The Terminus Hotel (492 Queens Parade, North Fitzroy).

Beers may be delivered to The Terminus until 1 pm on Saturday, 18th of June, but must have been pre-registered in CompMaster by midday on the 11th of June. Entries will not be accepted on the day of judging.

Anyone interested in judging this competition (whether you are BJCP-accredited or not) can contact the Judge Director David Wilton at: [email protected]

Experienced stewards are invited to contact Head Steward Matthias Isaksson at [email protected]

Major Categories, Sponsors & Prizes
Category Prizes (worth ~$100 each)
Thanks to all sponsors and volunteers for their support - best of luck to all entrants!

Looking forward to brewing tomorrow - been 2.5 months since I last got to brew... Red IPA here I come!

How many vials of yeast is that for 1yr supply??

P.s. Awesome prize!

Pratty1 said:

P.s. Awesome prize!
About 25..i didnt use all mine last time I won a similar prize...doh... ran outta brewing time

Pratty1 said:

P.s. Awesome prize!
The winner of Champion Brewer is entitled to 26 packs of White Labs yeast over 12 months - that is, one pack of yeast every fortnight.

sixfignig said:
If I can figure out how to bottle from the keg well enough I'll definitely be entering an IPA.
Hi sixfignig -

You need something like the Blichman BeerGun - http://www.blichmannengineering.com/products/beergun

Merri Mashers can borrow one of these from our equipment library - http://merrimashers.org/equipment-library/blichman-beer-gun

or build your own - http://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/08/26/how-to-bottle-beer-from-the-keg/

or you can take a look at this vid from Brew Dudes - https://youtu.be/q6FS-QxH_no

Grainer said:
About 25..i didnt use all mine last time I won a similar prize...doh... ran outta brewing time
But I must say.. excellent service by the boys at Full Pint.. always had yeast delivered when it was required ! And it inspired me to brew a lot of different recipes to try and use the yeast !

Im trying pay for my entries and keep getting the following error message

zip error: Nothing to do! (/webroot/c/o/compm001/compmaster.com.au/www/sites/default/files/entrylabels/bulk/bulk_14040_1.zip)

Can anyone help?

timmi9191 said:
Im trying pay for my entries and keep getting the following error message

zip error: Nothing to do! (/webroot/c/o/compm001/compmaster.com.au/www/sites/default/files/entrylabels/bulk/bulk_14040_1.zip)

Can anyone help?
timmi9191 - I have contacted Andy at Compmaster and his reply was:

"I'll dive in tonight and find out what's happened."

Timmi, could you please PM me your compmaster username?

Thanks,

Andy

Problem solved Timmi - we had an old competition that hadn't been closed properly which, combined with having to archive the older competition scoresheets, caused the problem you encountered.

I'm in the middle of a platform upgrade which will bring new life to CompMaster and should see the older scoresheets restored.

Let me know if you hit any other problems.

Regards,

Andy

When sending entries by post to Home Make It. Should we put an ATT Name. Or will just MM Comp or something like that do? I think I put ATT Cade last year but that was after a bit of correspondence on here. Just want to make sure my entry ends up in the right hands that's all.

Cheers

Back