Merri Mashers - Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I have my swap beer coming up to the boil at the moment. I know it is pretty late to be making it but I have been super busy recently. I will probably end up bottling it the day before the swap and you will have to wait 3 weeks before drinking it. Luckily you will have a bunch of other beers to try while you wait :)

Anyway I am making a double IPA kind of thing. Lots of hops!!! probably 7.5-8% ABV

I only have the mangrove jacks west coast on hand (thought I had some us 05 but must have run out) in dry. The rest of my liquids would need stepping up and I don't have time for that.

Fingers crossed it turns out ok.

RelaxedBrewer said:
Anyway I am making a double IPA kind of thing. Lots of hops!!! probably 7.5-8% ABV
Kris, how much hops did you add? My White IPA will be close to 7.5% I reckon. Heaps of hops too, especially for no-chill.

Do you have a link to your work on the effects of no-chill on hop isomerisation / bitterness? I'm thinking I should perhaps be toning back my hop additions to account for extra isomerisation...

Cheers.

OK, sorry for the late update. Filled in details below.

Came up 4.90% 1.012 29.9 EBC 40.5 IBU & 2.5 vol CO2.

Thomas.

1. Nick (aka vanners) - American Brown Ale
2. Tim (aka Tim) - Weird herbal bizarro brew
3. Wolfman
4. Forever Wort - Mongrel Saison
5. Carnie - Frau Farbissina Hefeweizen
6. Technobabble66
7. Swedebeer - Raspberry Session Saison
8. Parktho - 'Hop Suspension' ESB
9. Declan ( :')
10. Brouhaha - Summer cherry porter
11. beermeupscotty (Jacob) - RIS (MPB clone) White IPA (Deschutes Chainbreaker clone)
12. NewGuy (Tim) - IPA
13. Bazfletch3 - Summer ale
14. mugley - probably some sort of IPA
15. Kevin H - ESB
16. Crouch (Viv) - something, probably beer
17. Kris (RelaxedBrewer) - Probably an AIPA, but no sure yet
18. Plunkett - oatmeal chocolate stout
19. JordanElwell - Mosaic single hop AIPA
20. Dove Bailey - Gose (probably)
21. Ruthanne_Azia (American Amber with some dessert inside it )
22. zeggie - scottish heavy

Kegs for the case swap:
1. Wolfman
2. ????
3. Carnie (I'll have my Frau Farbissina Berliner Weisse, Mini-Me American Summer Ale and my Mojo India Pale Ale on tap)
4. going down a hill, I should have some saison in a keg by that date, not sure how much.

Entered the details into the Facebook site, but i'll put it into the list here.
Mine is yet to be bottled, so it's still tentative, i'm afraid.

3. Wolfman
6. Technobabble66 - Dirty Saison (not ready to drink until 12/12/14, and a few more weeks may be best)
11. beermeupscotty (Jacob) - RIS (MPB clone) White IPA (Deschutes Chainbreaker clone)
12. NewGuy (Tim) - IPA
15. Kevin H - ESB

Kegs for the case swap:
1. Wolfman
2. ????
3. Carnie (I'll have my Frau Farbissina Berliner Weisse, Mini-Me American Summer Ale and my Mojo India Pale Ale on tap)
4. going down a hill, I should have some saison in a keg by that date, not sure how much.

Yeah I definitely won't be able to bring mine.

Long story but let's say infection issues combined with another problem in scaling up knocked mine on the head. Sorry :(

I can bring some bottles along for those game enough to taste :) It's a pine needle ale and, even without carbonation, you can really get that essence a la pine shining through. Just not enough quantities for the case swap. We live and learn.

I'll also be bringing along a beer-flavoured cheddar :)

3. Wolfman
6. Technobabble66 - Dirty Saison (not ready to drink until 12/12/14, and a few more weeks may be best)
12. NewGuy (Tim) - IPA
15. Kevin H - ESB

Kegs for the case swap:
1. Wolfman
2. ????

3. Wolfman
12. NewGuy (Tim) - IPA
15. Kevin H - ESB

Kegs for the case swap:
1. Wolfman
2. ????

Dumb question from a case swap virgin........

I'll only be able to make it over for an hour or so unfortunately on Sunday (father of the year duties, etc....), but Im keen to get my beer in, do the swapsy swapsy, and take my wonderful array home.

Do I just bring my beer on Sunday (in which case, whats better, early/late in the arvo?) or are people dropping their beer over before Sunday, for the magic swap fairies to do their thing?...

:)

Baz

Baz! The whole event will go from 12-5 and you're welcome to turn up anytime but the actual swapping of beers will take place from 2-3 pm, so that may well be the best time to turn up. Bear in mind there'll be food and drinks so you may become, er, detained....

Hey Baz, did you get the email last week about case swap? It contained a link for those attending that had all the details, address, times etc. On there I put 2.30 as the swap time.

I notice you haven't registered though...PM me if you didn't get the email, I'll send it over to you so you can get your name down, and let us know if you're just popping in, or paying to be part of the catering on the day.

Forgive me if I've missed this somewhere, but how should I be labeling my bottles? Should I just mark my number in the lineups from this thread (19)?

So the pleasures of bottling is coming flooding back to me (and over the floor somewhat...) The good news is that it tastes pretty good, the bad news is that it's been a bit over carbed, so it's been difficult to properly fill the bottles.

I'm going to leave the decision to the people whether or not y'all mind being slightly short changed or perhaps I should sit out til next time... most are filled above where the long neck curves, some below. I can chuck in two for the short short pours.

It's all a bit unfortunate really, but it does taste good! What do you reckon?

I reckon colon apostrophe:' should wear the Cone of Shame throughout the swap day for being a sneaky short-changer!
Only kidding!!
No stress, CA. Bottling is never a precise science. I don't think anyone's going to care whether there's a few mLs more or less.

@jordanewell - the minimum requirement is the number from the list (yep, 19 for you).
You can then stick whatever else you want, if you feel the need: name, style, spec's (esp. alc%), opening(/bottling) date, recipe, background, fancy picture, funny anecdote, dad jokes, etc.
I'd probably prefer fewer pictures of massive penises - 2 in the last Vic swap

Just make sure the number can't wash/rub off - it's been a problem before.

RelaxedBrewer said:
Here is a link to the post with the article.
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/81226-calculation-of-ibu-additions-after-flame-out-no-chillwhirlpool/?p=1199664

I have not added most of the hops yet. They get added in stages after flameout.
Late reply but thanks for the article, Kris. I've taken a read and it looks solid. Just wish I currently had my cooling data to calculate IBUs for my current CS beer. I generally probably leave mine for 10 mins in a 65L SS pot with the lid on (whirlpool settling) and then transfer to a 22L cube (while it's hot so it sterilises). Guess I'll have to take some measurements next time...

You don't happen to have a spreadsheet to go along with it, do ya?

My CS beer had 35g @ 60mins, and ~100g at flameout for a BeerSmith calc of 46.3 IBUs. Wonder what it really is.

Fantastic day, yesterday!!
It was really great to have the ability to just chill out, hang around and chat throughout an afternoon.

Big thanks to Justin for hosting! :icon_cheers:

Also thanks to him and everyone else who organised food. (i only tried the kransky & spitted lamb - both awesome!)
And, most importantly & generously, thanks to those who offered kegs for general tasting (strictly for research purposes, of course).
All the beers were great, and it's always fantastic to sample everyones' brewing results.
;) B)

PS: and thanks to Mother Wolf et al for efficiently organising the swapsies setup. Minimal spiders were molested.

Back