Merging two brews

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laxation

Phlegm TB
Reaction score
I have two beers on tap, which, when mixed together - are just perfect.

The Pirate Life clone has a great balance of bitterness, but lacks the citrussy hops I love. The other beer has plenty of that to spare!

The grains are probably real simple to figure out, since they're so similar to start with, but could anyone help out with suggestions about how to merge the hops?

The first was an APA.

The second was a Pirate Life Pale Ale clone

Attachments

• 1a.png
    1a.png
    279.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 1b.png
    1b.png
    234.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 2a.png
    2a.png
    288.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 2b.png
    2b.png
    248.7 KB · Views: 72
Add it all up together in one recipe but halve everything?

edit, doesnt your phone do scrolling screenies?

That approach of hopping is in line with my endeavors.
Something neutral for bittering/or first wort. All those flavor hops your using can work great together in any weight or late time combinations. I vary it. Sometimes early bittering is between 25% to 50% of total IBU. Big late additions to make up the rest of the total bitterness.
Then again I'm not tasting your mixed beer in a glass to know what you like about it ha..

Why not brew both and blend to taste in the keg? I use two liquid connectors and my scales.

For example I added 4L of IIPA to a smoked red ale that was a little plain. Turned out great! Added some saison to a hefe which also made for an interesting beer.

Yep. Its a common thing for multi tap home brewers.
The problem is the complexity of a combined recipe attempt will be another beer altogether. :rolleyes:

Why not brew both and blend to taste in the keg? I use two liquid connectors and my scales.

For example I added 4L of IIPA to a smoked red ale that was a little plain. Turned out great! Added some saison to a hefe which also made for an interesting beer.

Yes using scales works well, I use when transferring from large kegs to smaller ones, using the sealed keg method.

I might do that... the Pirate Life one is for a friend's birthday, so unfortunately I can't just move them as-is... but definitely something I'll keep in mind!

Is that just as simple as using two liquid posts, one from the Out to the In on the other keg? If that's all it is, it'd be a great way to free up a keg as well, which is a problem I've been having

Thanks for that Lionman - I'll give it a shot :D

I might do that... the Pirate Life one is for a friend's birthday, so unfortunately I can't just move them as-is... but definitely something I'll keep in mind!

Is that just as simple as using two liquid posts, one from the Out to the In on the other keg? If that's all it is, it'd be a great way to free up a keg as well, which is a problem I've been having

Thanks for that Lionman - I'll give it a shot :D

Almost. I connect OUT to OUT, then degas the destination keg to get the beer moving. I also attach a gas bottle to the source keg at a couple of psi to help it along. I put the destination keg on the scales and zero it out first to get an understanding as to how much beer is transferring across. Btw the keg king kegs are bout 4.5kg empty.

Latest posts

Back