Melbourne Water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lyrebird_Cycles said:
TDS at my tap in Willy is 81 ppm this morning, very close to previous values (it's been 78 - 80 the last few months).

There's no room for a significant lift in mineral content with a TDS of 80.
Not sure if Willy is short for Williamstown, but if so you would be using different water to me in Preston.

I doubt that the TDS is significantly different from yours. I can test yours if you don't believe this.

BTW Melbourne water deliberately raises the pH of the water supply for various reasons*, usually by calcification (liming). Maybe this was offline for a bit. If so the mineral content will have gone down, not up.

* Partly to counteract the acidification caused by chlorination and flouridation, partly to reduce corrosion on old pipework.

I also believe the merri region still has many open waterways and is therefore subjected to higher than "usual" treatment at times. I remember a picture of one of those water ways with bags of rubbish that had been thrown in.

It is stated that de sal water is being delivered to Cardinia res. Only issue is it doesnt work.

It is stated that de sal water is being delivered to Cardinia res. Only issue is it doesnt work.

What doesn't work? The desal plant has been working for months.

At the moment I believe it's only topping up Cardinia, they haven't transferred to any other dams yet.

I think you will find it doesn't run all the time. They just fire it up when they get an order.

Correct the government orders the water they need and the De-sal plant delivers, it has been happening for a couple of years now and it has all been going into Cardinia. Just that they have placed the biggest order so far for this year and I noticed that BF water report was from 2016 so was wondering if the profile had changed.

This last order the Government placed was equal to 1/3rd of Melbournes water usuage. It's been pumping it out for at least the last 2-3 months 24 hours a day*.

I drive past the dam every day and can see the outlet. The dam is the fullest I have seen it in the last 12 years of driving past daily.

*Cannot accurately assure it's been 24 hours a day as I don't sit and watch it, but it's always going when I drive past 2-3 times a day.

I haven't checked it against BF as yet, I think it may be only annual they do a report I am not sure.

I usually update my water in BS3 each year when the report comes out. The reality is this, the content that we are interested in as brewers doesn’t change much from year to year. Melbourne water is pretty light on for content and the slight changes from year to year means that what we add in for a particular type of brew won’t change much either.

I usually update my water in BS3 each year when the report comes out. The reality is this, the content that we are interested in as brewers doesn’t change much from year to year. Melbourne water is pretty light on for content and the slight changes from year to year means that what we add in for a particular type of brew won’t change much either.
I just realised razz, you aren't on Cardinia water are you?

Latest posts

Back