Melbourne Pubs / Bottleshops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kook

Reaction score
Looks like I'll be in Melbourne for 2 days on training. I'm unsure yet as to if I'll get much free time. I figure if I do though, I'd love to check out a brewpub or two, or try to find some new beers to try. I dont think I'll have time to do any touristy crap.

Are there any brew pubs in Melbourne that I should know about? Any specialty pubs serving "rarer" beers? Anywhere that hand-pumps real ale (ok maybe I'm pushing it!)..

Any bottleshops with a rediculous range (like the International Beer Store in Perth) ?

edit - oops :/ maybe next time I should look at the current topics instead of posting.. seems theres a list of pubs in the australian beer thread...

Kook,

Are you going to be in the city itself?

I work in the city and there are a few you could try.

St Arnou
The James Squire Brew House
Mountain Goat are in Richmond
Bells Hotel and Brewery

If you need the address of these places email me.

Rook

I dont actually know yet where the training is :) I presume it'll be in the city.

I can find the addresses of them.

What are they all like? Which is worth visiting? I'd prefer to try beers that I cant get in WA.

Kook,

James squire you would get in W.A
St Arnou, I think are going to build a brewery over there
Mountain Goat may have an outlet
the rest I dont know.

Rook

kook,
try Bells in Sth Melb. its very close to the city and i beleive they brew their own beer there. last time i was there was a couple of yrs ago now.

Bells Brewery
Corner Moray and Coventry Streets
SOUTH MELBOURNE, Victoria 3205
Ph: (03) 9690 4511
Fax: (03) 9696 5715
Public transport: tram #12 or #55, alight at Coventry Street, tram #12 turn left and walk 1 block to pub, tram #55 turn right and walk 1 block to pub.

Well, I'll be in "southbank". I should have wednesday and thursday evenings free :)

I'll see what I can find!

Kook,

The James Squire Brewpub on Russell St is still worth a look. Not only do they have the standard JS brews on tap, but they brew 3 or 4 specials that are only available there. I'm thinking that the MSB guys use the place as a bit of a lab/market research arena.

The St Annou on Lt Collins is also a good place to try - particularly the Wit.

I'm off to do a bit more research........

Trev

kook,
How did you go on your adventures?
did you go to any of the pubs?

For the Melbourne guys (& visitors):
There is a new brewery in Thornbury making cask conditioned real ale called 3 Ravens. It is on tap in the Sherlock Holmes in Collins St.

Back