Melbourne: Grain Bulk Buy - Last for 2013

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grainer

The pursuit of Utopia
Reaction score
It's time for the last 2013 Melbourne Grain Bulk buy, it will be hosted by Grain and Grape in Yarraville.
....Remember the next BB is probably a long way away so stock up now for the Xmas break brewing fest !!

3 weeks to order.

PICKUP DAY IS THE 14th OF DECEMBER between 9am and 11am strictly
at Grain and Grape, 5/280 Whitehall Street, Yarraville

• Orders will close 1st December, and payment is due by 1st December. (Please PM me with your payment details when made - Please pay early)
  • No orders accepted past this date and if I dont have the cash in my account your order will not get placed.
  • Direct Deposit payment is required (in advance-PM for details).
  • If splitting bags they must be ordered and paid for by 1 person (do not list them twice), please arrange any splitting between participants.
  • If you will not pick-up the bags of grain yourself, you must provide notice/details of who will pickup for you in advance.
  • For organisational purposes please expect to be at the pickup location at the times and date indicated above.
To participate:
  • Please add your name to the list using the correct format.
  • Ensure you correctly copy all the previous entries.
  • Include your name, your order and if applicable pickup and other details.
  • You can change and update your order - as long your order is confirmed before 1st December
  • Pay for your order (by Direct Deposit) by the 1st December.
  • Pickup your order from Grain and Grape in Yarraville on Saturday 14th December (or arrange someone else to pick it up for you).
Prices and other order details on this spreadsheet (Hopefully this works11)
Please check/confirm the details on the spread sheet because that is what will be used to check payment and place the order I will try to update it regularly.

Thanks to: Cocko & Syl , for the use of the template.and text . although modified.. I may convert it back LOL & hopefully I do not end up regretting this....

Ok Here is the start....

1. Grainer: 1 x Marris Otter, 1x Bohemian Pilsner, 1x Vienna Malt,1 x Munich Malt, 1x Trad Ale, 1 x Wheat Malt Pale ... would like to go in some split specialty grains :D such as 1/2 Roast Barley, 1/2 Crystal Medium, 1/2 Wheat chocolate and open for others...

DU99 said:
link dont open ..requires username/password
It is linked to Gmail.. should be a public listing now.. dont know why it is grainy.. just download it if u need

Silly question, but the sacks are all 25kg, right?

Not that I want any, but did you check the price of flaked rice?? Holy cow - $119!!

No Dingemans ? Boooooo!
I might have to resort to a split of victory. FWP!

technobabble66 said:
Silly question, but the sacks are all 25kg, right?

Not that I want any, but did you check the price of flaked rice?? Holy cow - $119!!

No Dingemans ? Boooooo!
I might have to resort to a split of victory. FWP!
Yes 25 kg and $119 is standard price of flaked rice as per previous bulk buys

technobabble66 said:
Give Grainer a break, eh? He's organizing the bulk-buy, not dictating the prices!

Give Grainer a break, eh? He's organizing the bulk-buy, not dictating the prices!

Oh bugger - Apologies!! My bad for sounding like an arse !

I definitely wasn't trying to criticize Grainer's courageous organizing of a bulk buy, & I have no idea of previous prices.
I kinda assumed they're all the same as the last few, tbh. And I don't care about Dingemans - aromatic or Breiss' victory. Either or. That's kinda what I meant by the fwp comment.

I've never participated in one before, and I was just stunned such a simple grain product is so much more pricey than other stuff that goes through complicated malting processes. That's all! ;-)
I just glanced at the spreadsheet while on a 10min lunch break, saw it, was stunned, & scribbled those comments without thinking how else they might be interpreted - without the benefit of knowing they were light-hearted comments and I would never criticize someone willing to stand up and organise one of these things!

So, to clarify:
Awesome work, Grainer !!
And I'm an arse.
:-//

And on to more important things, who wants to split some bags??

technobabble66 said:
Oh bugger - Apologies!! My bad for sounding like an arse !

I definitely wasn't trying to criticize Grainer's courageous organizing of a bulk buy, & I have no idea of previous prices.
I kinda assumed they're all the same as the last few, tbh. And I don't care about Dingemans - aromatic or Breiss' victory. Either or. That's kinda what I meant by the fwp comment.

I've never participated in one before, and I was just stunned such a simple grain product is so much more pricey than other stuff that goes through complicated malting processes. That's all! ;-)
I just glanced at the spreadsheet while on a 10min lunch break, saw it, was stunned, & scribbled those comments without thinking how else they might be interpreted - without the benefit of knowing they were light-hearted comments and I would never criticize someone willing to stand up and organise one of these things!

So, to clarify:
Awesome work, Grainer !!
And I'm an arse.
:-//

And on to more important things, who wants to split some bags??
Id be happy to split..depends what you want tho..no big deal about the comment...never mind.. took a lot of thinking to do it with all the things with my wifes cancer.. but should be OK ..good experience...

2 groveling PMs sent.

Wow - it's been a while since I was such an dickhead.

Thanks to grainer for responding in a much more diplomatic manner, under trying circumstances.
---------
Mardoo
Happy to go halves in the Munich & Wheat. Weyermann?
--------
Grainer
Which specs are you keen on?

For what it's worth mate I didn't take it as you having a crack at anyone, let alone Grainer.

But I can see how it would be taken that way. Good on you for not shying away and being a good enough bloke to respond the way you have.

technobabble66 said:
2 groveling PMs sent.

Wow - it's been a while since I was such an dickhead.

Thanks to grainer for responding in a much more diplomatic manner, under trying circumstances.
---------
Mardoo
Happy to go halves in the Munich & Wheat. Weyermann?
--------
Grainer
Which specs are you keen on?
I'm open to suggestions.. I think you know what I like.. plus im willing to experiment.. I got to build the stocks up from zero.....got a few above in post 2 ..other wise could consider others..LOL my wife laughed when you said I was diplomatic..its out of character LOL

Ok Here is the start....

1. Grainer: 1 x Marris Otter, 1x Bohemian Pilsner, 1x Vienna Malt,1 x Munich Malt, 1x Trad Ale, 1 x Wheat Malt Pale ... would like to go in some split specialty grains :D such as 1/2 Roast Barley, 1/2 Crystal Medium, 1/2 Wheat chocolate and open for others...

2. Cocko - 2x Briess Pale Ale, 1x Briess Red Wheat - SPLIT?, 1x Briess Midnight Wheat - LOOKING for a SPLIT?, 1x JW Dark Crystal.

Cocko said:
2. Cocko - 2x Briess Pale Ale, 1x Briess Red Wheat - SPLIT?, 1x Briess Midnight Wheat - LOOKING for a SPLIT?, 1x JW Dark Crystal.
1. Grainer: 1 x Marris Otter, 1x Bohemian Pilsner, 1x Vienna Malt,1 x Munich Malt, 1x Trad Ale, 1 x Wheat Malt Pale 1x Briess Red Wheat (Cocko split) 1x Briess Midnight Wheat (cocko split) ..... would like to go in some split specialty grains :D such as 1/2 Roast Barley, 1/2 Crystal Medium
2. Cocko - 2x Briess Pale Ale, 1x JW Dark Crystal.

Grainer you a champ for organizing this
i will have a bag of Marris otter

1. Grainer: 1 x Marris Otter, 1x Bohemian Pilsner, 1x Vienna Malt,1 x Munich Malt, 1x Trad Ale, 1 x Wheat Malt Pale 1x Briess Red Wheat (Cocko split) 1x Briess Midnight Wheat (cocko split) ..... would like to go in some split specialty grains :D such as 1/2 Roast Barley, 1/2 Crystal Medium
2. Cocko - 2x Briess Pale Ale, 1x JW Dark Crystal.

3. northbrew: 1x Marris otter

Quick question:

What's your opinions on a good mainstay base malt to get?

I'm already getting a sack of MO.
I need another base for what will probably be APAs/IPAs/Ambers plus some Weizens. Lagers are impossible, though faux lagers might be a winter option.

I'm still not sure what Golden Promise is all about. just how good is it?

Is it worth going international, or stick with JW - cost is an issue, but i can find the extra $20 if the quality is there.
& is it better to get (Trad) Ale or Pilsner??

I'm probably heading towards a sack of JW Export Pils, fwiw - based on a few reading sessions; seems this is a clean, simple base that can be converted to anything, and this JW grain is rated moderately well (?).

Any suggestions/opinions would be appreciated!

Edit: More reading suggests Weyermann Boh Pils is significantly better than JW ... maybe i need to find that extra $20...

Latest posts

Back