Melbourne Brewers British Ales Competition (vic)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done Kel! Another one of our many star brewers! :)

Yes indeed, I can confirm that Kellee has joined the ranks of those no longer eligible to be considered a Novice :) CampMaster isn't able to manage that prize since we don't have info from other comps in there (yet :) )

Oh, and BTW, although there was no specific prize, the best brewer for the competition was Derek Hales from Melbourne Brewers, followed by Geoff Daly (Westgate) and then Kellee (Corio Bay Brewers).

Congratulations to all...

Andy

Yes indeed, I can confirm that Kellee has joined the ranks of those no longer eligible to be considered a Novice :) CampMaster isn't able to manage that prize since we don't have info from other comps in there (yet :) )

Oh, and BTW, although there was no specific prize, the best brewer for the competition was Derek Hales from Melbourne Brewers, followed by Geoff Daly (Westgate) and then Kellee (Corio Bay Brewers).

Congratulations to all...

Andy

Well done to Kellee, Brewster extrordinaire, lots of gals stirring the pot now.

Andy, I'm going to challenge that result for champ brewer...seeing as there's no prize, how did you calculate that? are you counting non placing entries?...just curious...or maybe your liver is still processing yesterdays intake :)
I kinda guessed there would be no champ beer or best brewer trophies or prizes for a comp with 2 categories.

Thanks for the feedback on my beer- very pleased with 2nd place.

Amazing that results and scoresheets were available already last night- awesome organisation.

Shame I couldn't make it on the day, looked like fun- thanks to Manticle for bringing my beer along.

Remi

Well done to Kellee, Brewster extrordinaire, lots of gals stirring the pot now.

Andy, I'm going to challenge that result for champ brewer...seeing as there's no prize, how did you calculate that? are you counting non placing entries?...just curious...or maybe your liver is still processing yesterdays intake :)
I kinda guessed there would be no champ beer or best brewer trophies or prizes for a comp with 2 categories.

It's worth challenging, although as you point out it there's no prize because of the limited nature of the comp.

The same rules that apply to Beerfest were applied here... highest number of points (each on 3) then the sum of the brewer's top 3 beers, which ironically enough this time includes two of the bottom placed beers in category 1.

Not a system I've been a fan of in the past, but the one employed none-the-less to break ties on points. I'll have a chat with the guys about it and try to get something more appropriate across the board implemented for Beerfest next year.

Andy

It's worth challenging, although as you point out it there's no prize because of the limited nature of the comp.

The same rules that apply to Beerfest were applied here... highest number of points (each on 3) then the sum of the brewer's top 3 beers, which ironically enough this time includes two of the bottom placed beers in category 1.

Not a system I've been a fan of in the past, but the one employed none-the-less to break ties on points. I'll have a chat with the guys about it and try to get something more appropriate across the board implemented for Beerfest next year.

Andy

Lol that IS funny, he wins for producing two bad beers, If only I'd pissed in a bottle or entered a VB
Had assumed it would go to the highest score of the qualifying (placed) beer after a tie on points....Andy your countbacks are not working in my favour...remember the export stout in bfest 2011.

Watch out Derek, I'll be entering a whole case of VB to win the title next year :)

Lol that IS funny, he wins for producing two bad beers, If only I'd pissed in a bottle or entered a VB
Had assumed it would go to the highest score of the qualifying (placed) beer after a tie on points....Andy your countbacks are not working in my favour...remember the export stout in bfest 2011.

Watch out Derek, I'll be entering a whole case of VB to win the title next year :)

Not my countbacks - just the ones the club uses at the moment. In honesty they were not designed for the smaller comp, and have mostly served us well in Beerfest. Like I said, we'll give some consideration to changing them in light of this ;)

Very disappointed with how my beers fared but I had a fun day and I've always believed the beers at the top likely deserve to be there and the beers at the bottom probably equally so (mine were neither).

Interesting comments from the judges - wish I had some left to pin you guys down at the meeting because there's a few things I never picked up in the beers but that's part of the fun. Unfortunately the closest I have is a re-brew of the best bitter.

Had a good day, even though Wolfy hinted I was slow (witted). You can get your own bottle tops out of the bin next time.

Congrats to winners and place getters, especially those who were entering a comp for the first time.

Nice to see a few new faces.

Had a good day, even though Wolfy hinted I was slow (witted). You can get your own bottle tops out of the bin next time.
True, but I cleaned up all the your mess while you relaxed and had a chat/beer, so that should make up for it. :beer:

True, but I cleaned up all the your mess while you relaxed and had a chat/beer, so that should make up for it. :beer:

I really should have put out big props to all the new event crew who came on board for this event...

Yorg - Judge Director
Wolfy - Chief Steward (and mop wielder by the sounds of things)
Sibog - Data Entry

and last, but not least, Manticle - Sponsorship and Comms.

Well done guys - you all did a sterling job on the day!

Andy

Hope the second longneck I supplied got enjoyed (#16). Pretty stoked with 97 for my first comp entry. Issues identified are easily remedied, nice to know that the judges found it highly drinkable even if it wasn't exactly to style. Hooked now! Loved the judge feedback.

That would be rad if he did. I will ask him tomorrow. I meant to give him some at the last meeting but I ran out. How did you find it Steve?

Congratulations Geoff - looks like you brewed up a very well presented Scottish 80. Would've loved to try it. Congrats to Kellee too - great novice showing!! Unfortunately my valve flipped on my counter pressure filler on me post filling the ESB bottle so the rest of the beer ended out in my sanitation bucket! That was the last of the ESB!!

I'm very much in agreement with the judges feedback with all my beers, good and not so good. I've never made a Mild before nor did I really understand what it should taste like. I thought it wasn't half bad. Having attended on the day and sampled a bit I can now see what good/great truly is. Will work to get there for sure!

Andrew, Andy, Wolfy, judges, etc - great job with a very organised and effective day. Well run event gang!

Congratulations Geoff - looks like you brewed up a very well presented Scottish 80. Would've loved to try it. Congrats to Kellee too - great novice showing!! Unfortunately my valve flipped on my counter pressure filler on me post filling the ESB bottle so the rest of the beer ended out in my sanitation bucket! That was the last of the ESB!!

I'm very much in agreement with the judges feedback with all my beers, good and not so good. I've never made a Mild before nor did I really understand what it should taste like. I thought it wasn't half bad. Having attended on the day and sampled a bit I can now see what good/great truly is. Will work to get there for sure!

Andrew, Andy, Wolfy, judges, etc - great job with a very organised and effective day. Well run event gang!

Only hope you have is to put your hand up for judging vicbrew, that batch didnt last long at all. will probably do it again next year. at least one judge also commented that it was balanced toward malt & suggested adding some roast barley...again the guidelines say it should be balanced slightly toward malt. I'm not having a bitch or anything, just seeing an oportunity for learning, I just felt that & the comments on wanting more complexity were not inkeeping with how I read the guidelines. maybe my interpretation is arseways or maybe the judges perceived the balance to be weighted to malt more than I did.

I guess I decided to give feedback here, coz it's the second time recently I felt a beer was judged contrary to guidelines, had a belgian pale ale that was criticised in belg bfest for not having the usual belgian characters, even though the guidelines say this is a unique belgian in that it's malt driven with only soft fruit esters.

I'm seriously not having a moan, just some constructive (as I see it anyway) feedback. I think there is a weak spot in comp judging where some folks dont refresh themselves on reading the guidelines. This may or may not have been the case with my beers, but I do feel it happens.

nighty night...it's late.

Latest posts

Back