Melbourne Brewers British Ales Competition (vic)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tis a good comp and a great day. And Wolfy, if a certain steward behaves themselves there might be some samples of a small English micro for them to try :D
I believe manticle will be one of the stewards, I'm just not sure about him behaving himself. :(

@lukec, while it's not ideal, the stewards should be able to work with just that bottle, but as manticle said, check with Andy before entering.
Two things for you to keep in mind however; if it its bottle conditioned some more of the yeast might be stirred up (compared to pouring a longneck where you can leave a fair amount behind) and if the judges ask for re-fills there may not be that much to go around.

Best PM andyD who is the comp director (I think - otherwise he can put you onto who is).

While I'd like to say yes, I think it might be pushing it but a message won't cost you anything.

Thanks mate, I'll get it done. No harm in asking.

I believe manticle will be one of the stewards, I'm just not sure about him behaving himself :( ,Manticle,behave himself? I remember Beerfest...the riot squad,...watercannons..the club did well to keep it quiet , :lol:

Damnit missed this thread, and I don't think I can ferment and bottle carb a beer in 2 weeks :(

Quick question,

Is it ok to enter a beer even if you can't make it there on the day?

Remi

Absolutely.

All you need to do is register the beer with compmaster.com.au, pay for it (which you can do via paypal through compmaster), print the label that will be generated and attach it to the bottle.

The beer then gets dropped off by you at one of the allocated drop off points by the specified date.

Couple of questions cause I haven't entered a comp before.

I guess it is safe to assume that if I wanted to enter a beer that I only have kegged, filling a bottle on the day of the comp and delivering it before the deadline is the best bet?

And what constitutes a novice? I see it has a separate prize.

Thanks.

I guess it is safe to assume that if I wanted to enter a beer that I only have kegged, filling a bottle on the day of the comp and delivering it before the deadline is the best bet?

Thanks.

I'll let someone else answer the kegging question.

Novice is someone who has never placed in a Vicbrew or BJCP sanctioned comp before.

Ideally you'd use a counter pressure filler, so that the correct carbonation is maintained into the bottle.
But since many British Ales should have low carbonation (if your beer was one of those) you might not have any problem simply filling it from the tap as you suggested.

Novice is someone who has never placed in a Vicbrew or BJCP sanctioned comp before.

Correction - I think just Vicbrew so if you were living in the USA and consistently took out beer of show awards, then moved here, you'd still be eligible, as far as I can tell.

Comp organisers will work out the winner from archived Vicbrew results.

Thanks.
yeah she'll be fine,. it would be a prob if you didnt use a cpbf and needed a highly carbed wheat or something, but british ales your laughing.

Thanks for the advice Wolfy amd CM2, and thanks for the explanation Manticle, now to enter my first comp.

I figure its common practice for entrants to hang around the venue and sip a few ales while the judging is going on? If so I'll see some of you there.

Wow I dont know how I missed this post....spewing I would of loved to of entered.
I guess I could put something together quickly. :(

I figure its common practice for entrants to hang around the venue and sip a few ales while the judging is going on? If so I'll see some of you there.
Common practice, no.
But you are most welcome to and there will be a number of judges, stewards and other interested folk who'll be doing the same. :)

Last week to get your entries registered (and dropped off unless you are taking them along on the day).

Last week to get your entries registered (and dropped off unless you are taking them along on the day).
Phew! Been busy @ GABS and with other stuff, so I thought I'd the deadline, one more week gives me a chance to pull the finger out and submit an entry or two. :)

Hey manticle,
I have 1x 473mm grolsh stubble left from a irish red ale I made, what are the odds of being ale to squeeze it into the comp, or is it really that strict.

Hey Luke,

Throw it in - we should be able to make it work. Generally we ask for a 750 so that if the judges are having trouble they can go back for a second sample... just put a note on the bottle "SINGLE BOTTLE" so we don't go looking for a second one.

Cheers!

Andy

Quick correction - Best Novice is awarded to the brewer with the highest number of points who has not placed in a Vicbrew recognised event. These are listed on the Vicbrew website (www.vicbrew.org.au).

Cheers!

Andy

Thanks.

Ooops - missed this one.

The British Ales comp does allow entries to come in on the day, so if you're running late and need that little extra time to finish the beer out, this is your best bet.

Just keep in mind that not all competitions allow for entries to be dropped off on the day. Also bear in mind that your entry has to have been registered online at www.compmaster.com.au to be eligible.

Regards,

Andy

Latest posts

Back