Melbourne Brewers British Ales Competition (vic)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manticle

Standing up for the Aussie Bottler
Reaction score
Hi,

Melbourne Brewers will be holding their annual British Ales competition at Oscar's Alehouse in Belgrave (VIC) on Sunday 27th May.

There are only two categories in this competition: Category 1 (Mild, Northern and Southern English Brown, Irish Red and Scottish 80/)

AND

Category 2 (Ordinary Bitter, Best bitter and Extra Special Best Bitter).

So far we have prizes for each place getter and they are more than reasonable prizes so good incentive to get your entries in.

Cost is $7 per entry, usual restriction of 2 entries per category, 1 entry per style.

Entries can be registered and paid for at www.compmaster.com.au and can be dropped off at Keg King, Grain and Grape, The Brewer's Den and Greensborough Home Brewing by COB, 19th May or at the venue before 1.30 pm on the day of the competition.

Min. 500mL per entry, 750 preferred.

This is a BJCP registered and sanctioned competition.

Judging will be according to the AABC styleguidelines.

Posters coming soon.

I Have never entered a comp before soI don't know how strict the categories are.

I have a Skittish 80 that was put on bourbon soaked oak chips in the secondary. Would this still strictly meet style guidelines with the oak/bourbon flavour?

I wouldn't mind getting some feedback but don't want to put it in if it isn't within the category criteria

I Have never entered a comp before soI don't know how strict the categories are.

I have a Skittish 80 that was put on bourbon soaked oak chips in the secondary. Would this still strictly meet style guidelines with the oak/bourbon flavour?

I wouldn't mind getting some feedback but don't want to put it in if it isn't within the category criteria

no that's not too style. if our coming tonight bring it along and get one of the BJCP guys to "judge"it for you.

no that's not too style. if our coming tonight bring it along and get one of the BJCP guys to "judge"it for you.

Thanks - unfortunately the wednesday night meeting clashes with other commitments for me so I haven't been able to get to a meeting for a long time.

Thanks - unfortunately the wednesday night meeting clashes with other commitments for me so I haven't been able to get to a meeting for a long time.

if you still have it available in September you can put it in vic brew specialty category.

The general answer to that question is: strict bordering on pedantic. :)
The categories and style guidelines are the judging criteria, every now and then judges will get a really 'good' beer but if it does not conform to the guidelines they're usually compelled to mark it down.

Comps are about ability to brew to style. If its out of style, regardless of how good it is, it will get slammed. Speaking as a bjcp

Comps are about ability to brew to style. If its out of style, regardless of how good it is, it will get slammed. Speaking as a bjcp

the following is my perspective NOT a statement on how this comp or other comps are run and as such is slightly off topic (although relevant):

out of style characters shouldn't necessarily get slammed and there should be some judge's discretion (as well as input from the comp director) in cases where out of style elements exist.
Obviously if a beer has nothing in common with any of the suggested characteristics (eg a Belgian tasting beer entered as an APA, a UK tasting Pale entered as an AIPA) then it cannot realistically or fairly be judged a winner according to the way comps are run.

If you have a good, well made and to style base beer and additions/characters that would put it in specialty category should one exist, then judges should be able to exercise some discretion. Out of style or inappropriate additions should be marked down accordingly but not slammed and the addition of whiskey and oak in a beer style that often suggests a mild peated character is appropriate, if it were used with a judicious hand and was well integrated into an otherwise well crafted beer should have a chance of doing well.

I think the above statement B is why some people view the BJCP with suspicion and see comps as a waste of time.

The BJCP (and the AABC and similar bodies) are not a concrete set of authoritarian and dogmatic rules - they are guidelines. A judge's knowledge, experience and discretion should be at least as firmly applied as guidelines which often use vague descriptors such as may have, might have, is optional, may exhibit etc. There are even classic examples of styles recommended by the BJCP which fall outside their own guidelines and my understanding is that the BJCP, despite some of their stupidly specific style questions in their exam, accept that the body of knowledge and research is ever changing/evolving and that guides are guides, not rules. A good judge should be able to be guided, not ruled by.

A bit OT and Boronia - despite the above, I can't assure you that that is what will happen. If you have a few bottles and a spare $7 put one in and see which kind of judge you get. Otherwise reserve and cellar one for the VICBREW spec category. Read through the appropriate guidelines and decide for yourself how much it misses the mark, if at all. I'd say if it tastes distinctly like Bourbon and massive oak, that it will get marked down but if it's a good base beer, a good judge shouldn't slam it. i'm only looking after sponsorship and some promotion though so no promises from me.

No worries guys, thanks for the responses.

Its a shame, cause this is my first all grain too - not to worry.

One day I might brew something that fits a style. In the meantime my inner mad scientist keeps wanting to experiment and add things to my brews.

I brew - I like it - I'm happy.

Judging and feedback will come one day... I just need to stop brewing raspberry wheats, creamery maibocks, coffee darks, jaffa beers and this one.

No you don't.

Brew beer you think is good. If you have some you think will fit a comp's guidelines then whack it in. In the mean time keep brewing for the same reasons you started.

Don't expect anything, if you do very badly it's probably a bad/infected etc beer, if you do very very well then it's probably a very, very good beer (or there was only two people in the category) and if you come somewhere in the middle, it's probably pretty reasonable.

Judge's comments vary as widely as the beer - some are spot on, informed, useful and really help your brewing.

Some are useless, contradictory and ill informed.

Comps are subjective by nature and organised and run by non-profit making amateurs. Judging and giving effective useful feedback is not an easy thing - drink 20-30 AIPAs or Belgian strong ales in a row and try and effectively evaluate each and you'll see what I mean.

However they are a fun part of the HB community and some great things come out of them and if you get a place in any one of them, you can feel rightfully proud. If you're beer comes last, use some critical analysis to examine your brewing processes but don't get bogged down or suicidal because someone didn't think your beer was great.

Mants, tge voice of reason..

Obviously things like clarity etc wont get hit, but if it doesnt meet style guide then it will get marked down. If its close to style then itwill score ok, but will loose marks if it has flavours that arent part of the style.

Im no hanging judge and by no means like brewing to style unless its for comps, but if u want to enter a comp u got to play by the rules.

Anyway british ales comp is a good comp to enter.
Not sure ill have anything to enter this year :( ill just have to judge/steward if im available.

Edit: boronia, brew out there beers man, thats why clubs r good. Most of the stuff I bre doesnt fit bjcp, so I take it to club meetings. Or I take a chane and enter it in comps and kind of expect it to get hammered a little, lije my rye golden strong. Mind u it still picked up a 3rd and 6th :)

No worries guys, thanks for the responses.

Its a shame, cause this is my first all grain too - not to worry.

One day I might brew something that fits a style. In the meantime my inner mad scientist keeps wanting to experiment and add things to my brews.

I brew - I like it - I'm happy.

Judging and feedback will come one day... I just need to stop brewing raspberry wheats, creamery maibocks, coffee darks, jaffa beers and this one.

Generally if you want to have any chance of a good result you need to find the beer you wish to enter in the vicbrew style guidelines and then adjust your recipe to what they perceive as being an accurate to style beer. Otherwise you won't be getting feedback on the actual quality of your brew.

If any of the Melbourne brewers drive down boronia road you are going post my front door. I can't get to the meeting tonight but if anyone wants to take my beer along and get it critiqued it would be great.

Don't know if anyone was able to help you out BB?

I got a lift out there with several others so I'm unsure of the direction we took.

I just need to clarify one thing.

If you are intending to drop beer off on the day at the venue, it must still have been registered and paid for through the compmaster site by the cut off date (ie 19th may). You cannot register entries on the day, only drop them off.
I don't know if that was clear from my first post.

Just going to give this a little bump if that's not rude or inappropriate.

Best novice gets 25 kg grain, 1 kg of hops and some dried English yeast.

1st prize winners get a $100 voucher to a melbourne based AG shop (Grain/Grape or Greensborough depending on the category) and some equipment from keg king (dial thermometer or grain mill, again category dependent).

2nd and third prizes aren't too far behind - details found here:

http://www.melbournebrewers.org/index.php?...&Itemid=129

Comp is open to all but the prizes are generally VIC friendly.

Sounds good, I'm might enter something I've had in bottles a little while now. Even just for feedback would be great.

Hey manticle,
I have 1x 473mm grolsh stubble left from a irish red ale I made, what are the odds of being ale to squeeze it into the comp, or is it really that strict.

Hey manticle,
I have 1x 473mm grolsh stubble left from a irish red ale I made, what are the odds of being ale to squeeze it into the comp, or is it really that strict.

Best PM andyD who is the comp director (I think - otherwise he can put you onto who is).

While I'd like to say yes, I think it might be pushing it but a message won't cost you anything.

Back