Melbourne Brewers Beerfest 2017

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
husky said:
Is this suitable for newbie judges? I'm keen to give it a go as a way of developing and identifying different tastes, flavours etc. If they really do pair you up with experienced judges and don't mind that your a newbie then I'll sign up.
Newbie is fine. Give it a crack. It will be fun. Follow the link from TommyC in post 9.

droid said:
sorry if this is obvious, i cant see IPA or DIPA?
Sorry droid. No IPA category. You could enter a specialty IPA in Other Specialty category though.

Just threw in...

APA
RIS
Fruit Lambic (Kriek)
& Fruit beer

Wish me luck :)

toper01 said:
El Presidente says CompMaster is now open for registrations.
Compmaster says entries need to be in the system and dropped off by 4th of Feb, this correct? (moreso the drop off date, rather than the entry date)

note to self: when that amazing beer comes along and people confirm that it's a real special drop and is bound for glory, FFS set a bottle aside before the keg blows you dumbarse!

chico stout - scratched

moonhead said:
Compmaster says entries need to be in the system and dropped off by 4th of Feb, this correct? (moreso the drop off date, rather than the entry date)
From the main man ,"We're discussing extending it by a week.... will confirm when the decision has been made..."

toper01 said:
From the main man ,"We're discussing extending it by a week.... will confirm when the decision has been made..."
Coolio. Seems a little early / short notice to get them in by the 4th... (even the 11th is a bit of a stretch)

Just a reminder that BEERFEST is only a month away and we need people to put their hand up to help Judge and/or Steward.

The competition will be held at Campaspe Downs, near Kyneton. Accommodation is available at the competition site.

The dates will be: Friday 24 Feb - Sat 25 Feb 2017

We will be running three sessions, Friday Night, Saturday Morning and Saturday Afternoon. Meals will be provided for people who judge or steward during their flight.

These events do not run without volunteers, and all levels of skill and experience are encouraged to participate. We do NOT insist on any particular qualification to judge beer - if you are a novice we will pair you with experienced judges.

So here's what you need to do, in two simple steps:

1) Decide to particpate!

2) Fill out the form located here --> LINK <-- and we will get back to you!

Beerfest is a registered BJCP event.

JB said:
Hi, Just had a look in compmaster & Australian pale isn't available in the pale section, is this part of the 'more to be published' lot, or style not being added?
Looking into it. I'll let you know when it's fixed.

JB said:
Hi, Just had a look in compmaster & Australian pale isn't available in the pale section, is this part of the 'more to be published' lot, or style not being added?
Australian Pale Ale is now fixed. Sorry.

Question: is Vienna lager supposed to be in the Pale Lager category? Just find it odd that Oktoberfest is in the Dark Ale/Lager and Vienna is in Pale lager.

Cheers.

GalBrew said:
Question: is Vienna lager supposed to be in the Pale Lager category? Just find it odd that Oktoberfest is in the Dark Ale/Lager and Vienna is in Pale lager.

Cheers.
When I applied vienna wasn't even an option... Will apply now for that :)

GalBrew said:

Cheers.
That's largely historical - we underwent a consolidation of styles a number of years ago with the reduction in judge participation, and since opening it out these styles have stayed put. We might review for next year.

With respect to the relative placement of Vienna vs Oktoberfest, this is driven largely by the color of the beers - a Vienna lager can stray in to darker territory, however has the ability to present as a "darker" pale lager, whereas an Oktoberfest has a darker starting point (at least when you talk about style guides - some who are more familiar with the origin styles may disagree).

Andy

moonhead said:
Coolio. Seems a little early / short notice to get them in by the 4th... (even the 11th is a bit of a stretch)
Not so much short notice - we've been broadcasting that through various forums for a while now - at the end of the day a week is unlikely to make a significant change to the brewing schedule - the beer still needs to be ready for the same date, and there are very few styles that would benefit from later sample submissions. Happy to hear if you have a counter-view.

We were considering moving the date out by a week, BUT - after discussion last night we will be keeping it at 3 weeks prior. Why?

Because a month out from the competition we have only identified 8 judges for the competition - gasp!

The three week registration period allows us time to deal with the potential for low judge numbers by pre-judging some of the flights.Unfortunately with only 8 judges so far this is looking like it will be necessary.

The moral of the story - PLEASE, if you are able to come up and help judge, let Tom ([email protected]) know ASAP. We will be covering meals for judges for the entire weekend, and the on-site accommodation is seriously inexpensive compared to other options at previous Beerfests (with the exception of the odd bit of floorspace, which was no longer available to us).

Note that accommodation needs to be pre-paid - please see our club website for more information on costs and hos to pay.

Cheers!

Andy

I have been granted a leave pass for one night only from the other half! Question is which night to go? Any pointers?
I am keen to give judging a crack if that helps work out which is the best night to go?

Latest posts

Back