Melbourne Beer Festival May 19-21 2005

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linz

Reaction score
Hi guys, wife of Linz here.

I'm organising a trip for Linz and I to the Melbourne Beer Festival and wondered if any AHB guys/gals are going, and if so, what sessions you're attending. Do you want to get together that weekend at the festival - or afterwards perhaps and show us some of Melbourne's best pubs?

hey Mrs Linz.
I am planning to go but have not decided a schedule/session times.
More than happy to meet up/go to some pubs in any event.

Whats the details of said festival guys....location, etc?

We're from Sydney and last year my wife and I went to the Beer Awards and had a rage. We also hit a lot of the brewpubs around Melb over the next couple of days, had dinner one night at JS Brewhouse etc etc. Got back home after 3 days and an awful good time, although I did have to give the kidneys a bit of a rest :(

We went to the first session, 4:00pm to 7:00pm on the Friday and were planning to do the same agian this year - more than happy to go to a different seesion if there's an AHB group together.

If I remember right, the advantage of the first session is that Mountain Goat Brewery has an open night from 7:30pm onwards on that Friday night :p

Rodderz, the link is
Beer Awards

Trev

Ok,

So next weekend is the beer festival in Melbourne. We're in Melb from about 3pm Thurs

We've got tickets to the first session on the friday night(4-7pm) and Sat morn (11am-2pm).

Who else is going? Did anyone want to catch up? whats to do after?

BB drop us a PM and I'll try and send you my mobile number so we can catch up

Linz/ Mrs L,

U may need to email BB, as I think this is one of his last posts.

He was coming to the Sydney pubcrawl and bailed out and has allegedly ceased brewing. Maybe he reconciled with his SWMBO by recanting all belief in the therapeutic value of brewing.

If U want, PM me, as I have his phone number.

However, as I mentioned, he may be given up his faith, and may be delivered back unto the everlasting torment of the mega breweries.

Seth

Hey guys!

Was part of the judging for the beer festival again this year at the uni. Still loads of fun.

I was thinking of going along this weekend (uni work pending), and it would great if some of you guys were going to.

Trev: I was wondering if you were making your way down.

Let me know what you are doing and I'll see if I am able to make it (fingers crossed)

B.

G'day Wasabi. Good to hear from you again - been a long while. Hope things are going well down there at Uni mate.

Shawn.

For anybody in Melbourne there is a free tasting session at the City Square (from 12-2 today)

Hey Rob,

Is that at Transport? or out in the square?
Sounds great, for a long lunch...

Cheers

voota said:
city square? is that fed square?
[post="59340"][/post]​

City Square, Swanston St

RobW said:
For anybody in Melbourne there is a free tasting session at the City Square (from 12-2 today)
[post="59330"][/post]​

I only work around the corner so i went with a colleague to have a look. Basically they just have a tent there and you only get to have a very small taste from a number of beers. Its more a promotion for the big event.
I tried the Mercs Own peach ale but unfortunatley due to a head cold I only took a sip and turfed the rest in the bin. Much to the disgust of whoever served me.

cheers
johnno

Has everyone gone in the competition for the fridge? Can't you just envisage a pair of taps & drip tray on the front of that whirlpool?

Click

Wasabi,

Yep, we'll be there again :p We're booked in for the Friday afternoon session and then have the next couple of days to wander around pubs etc.

When are you thinking of coming down to Melb (and have they got the trains running any later :( ).

There is a really important Rugby Super 12's game on at about 8:00pm Saturday night so we were going to find a pub with Foxtel that was showing it (Any Melb based members got an idea about where). It would be perfect if it were the JS Brewhouse.

Trev

What did the poeple who went to this think of it?

I went and didn't mind it but it was way too packed for the amount they had there. I don't know if i would go again.

Good to see Grain and Grape there with a setup though.

It wasn't as good as last year imo, James Squire wern't there on sat night, and Little Creatures had about a slab to go around (which lasted 5 minutes). By the end, i'd say 50% of the beers were no longer on tap. If i wasn't so lazy, i'd write a letter to the organisers.
Some positives, I tasted two Aussie Micros which were quite good, Buckleys Bock (I stayed at this stand for about an hour), and 3 Degrees IPA.
The crowd was full of wankers too.

That sums up perfectly.
I didn't even see a LC beer, there was only a sign when i saw it and an empty tent.
The bars were that packed you hardly even got a chance to see what beer they were pouring you.
I spent more time in the bar area with the band.

Yeah, it wasn't a good effort, particularly compared to last year. There were probably only half the breweries from last time and really none of the associated suppliers with the exception of Grain & Grape (on ya).

We went to the Friday afternoon session and it was way too packed. Had to fight to get much to drink that was a bit different.

I'm told that they stuffed up with the venue arrangements, after all the Awards were a fortnight ago, which is why there were too few exhibitors and not enough room.

Trev

Back