Melb. Looking for a good tattoo artist. Any recommendations?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinOC

Insert something suitably witty here
Reaction score
SWMBO wants to get another tatt. to keep a promise to her departed old man.

I'm kinda-sorta thinking about getting another one done for myself, but it'll be a very complex geometric design, so I'm looking for someone who can follow an exact design & not just "free-hand" it & balls it up.

Anyone in Melb. got any recommendations or referrals? I'll do our own "due-diligence" on this & won't make a decision lightly (for obvious reasons...).

Thanks in advance.

Martin

http://www.amycduncan.com

This lady is very precise, capable of very detailed work and yes she can follow a stencil without thinking she's in a jazz band.

Been tossing up between coming back to Melbourne for my next or finding someone here (next has TAS relevance in multiple ways so finding someone here makes sense if possible). Both my partner and I had work done by Amy after my favourite (sara melder) moved overseas. Excellent results, hygeine and professionalism exceptional.

Back when I did see Sara (late 90s - early 2000s), she worked at tattoo magic and dynamic tattoo. While Sara was my preferred, I saw a lot of good work come from those two, especially tattoo magic.

That has ago attached to it though and all the caveats that come with that. Ink from Amy is maybe 3 years old or less.

If you want to drive to Newport I know there is some excellent tattoo artists at www.devilsinktattoo.com/.

The guy or one of the persons who started the place (Justin) has been doing tats for over 25 years and is an exceptional artist in other mediums. Look at the website and see the work they do but you pay for what you get (I assume). It also happens to be right next to the junctionnewport.com.au and a not too shabby bottle shop. Win Win!

Edit: Newport not Williamstown

Be aware that a lot of really good artists get booked for months in advance.

manticle said:
Be aware that a lot of really good artists get booked for months in advance.
You go alright with the crayons. Ever considered giving tattooing a go?

Had some work done by Rob Abel previously dynamic tattoo , now at Melbourne tattoo ... Yep need to book and it ain't cheap

Generally I think going rate is anywhere between $150 p/ hour and north .. And depending on detail of the work 1/2 sleeve $1500 ish

Original as in custom design by tattooist? I've never been charged for design although almost all of mine have been significantly my own provided image - a couple of rare cases had tattooist input.

When I started, it was 100 per hour, more recent experience was 150-180 so it really depends on that. Artists should always provide rates and reasonable time estimates.

I really like the look of Amy's work & that's the way we're both erring-towards right now. Frankly, I don't think either of us will challenge her with our designs, but that's probably a good thing.

Thanks, Manticle. I think we may have found the one we're looking-for, however long it may take to book a spot in her schedule...

Tell her I recommended you. Maybe I'll get a discount if/when I head back to get mine done.

Latest posts

Back