Melanoidin Malt In A Pils?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi MHB,

For clarification, my understanding was that malts such as Biscuit, Melanoiden, Vienna and munich were "wet" kilned (still with a high content of moisture post germination) and then fired at slightly higher temperatures than Pilsner/Ale malts. This causes the malt to partially sacchrify in the kernel, toasting the malt and also reducing the diastatic power due to the higher temperatures?

Cheers.

Sort of, the original way to make them was to pile the green malt into mounds on the malting floor and cover it with tarpaulins, heat would build up inside the mound to 40-50oC and there was little or no oxygen available for respiration. Im sure modern malt houses arent doing this but are modelling the process in some way.
There is some saccrification, but nothing like what happens during the production of cara/crystal, the active enzymes in the corn make a lot of low molecular weight protein available, so when the malt is kilned there are both sugars and proteins available to form Melanins via milliard reactions.
MHB

haha, no MHB you got the spelling right first time, I was just pointing out that Melanoidin den and dan seems to be a spelling challenge similar to the ubiquitous "Larger". Considering that this is a tech forum you'd be flamed out of existence on other forums (fora?) if you posted about Holden Toronas or Jack Rissole Terriers. :p

Interesting about the Vienna - I'm doing a V Lager tomorrow and have 5k, looking forward to milling it :icon_drool2:

O/T bribie, i made a dark ale with wey vienna as the base malt. :icon_drool2: Gorgeously malty.

Sort of, the original way to make them was to pile the green malt into mounds on the malting floor and cover it with tarpaulins, heat would build up inside the mound to 40-50oC and there was little or no oxygen available for respiration. Im sure modern malt houses arent doing this but are modelling the process in some way.
There is some saccrification, but nothing like what happens during the production of cara/crystal, the active enzymes in the corn make a lot of low molecular weight protein available, so when the malt is kilned there are both sugars and proteins available to form Melanins via milliard reactions.
MHB

Cheers,

Thanks for the historical malting technique insights. I love reading all of the old brewing texts on the american library archive although the descriptions can be somewhat hard to interperet at times.

Latest posts

Back