Melanoiden Malt substitute

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeddog

Reaction score
I'm thinking of brewing a batch of "Three Floyd's Zombie Dust".
Three-Floyds-Zombie-Dust.jpg
The clone recipe I have calls for.63kg of Melanoiden Malt (39.4 EBC). I have no idea what it is or where to get it.

Does anyone know what can I use in its place or know where I get it?

jeddog

Craftbrewer have it. 630g is a lot. What size is the batch?

60lt's

I looked at craftbrewer. Didn't see it...
I might of had a husband look :blink: . Ill try again.

here

I'd also say that that's a lot of melanoidin - can get a bit cloying. I'd never use more than about 200 if that.

Sorry.. found it.

I used the search and nothing came up...

Stupid search thing.... :)

thanks all

14.60 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.9 EBC)
1.43 kg Munich Malt - 10L (19.7 EBC)
0.63 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (118.2 EBC)
0.63 kg Melanoiden Malt (39.4 EBC)
0.63 kg Carafoam (3.9 EBC) Grain
55.92 g Citra [15.60 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop
2.88 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining
93.20 g Citra [15.60 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop
93.20 g Citra [15.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop
1.44 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins) Other
93.20 g Citra [15.60 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop
93.20 g Citra [15.60 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop
2.9 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast
224.67 g Citra [15.60 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop

it look OK?

Most places that sell grain will sell it. It seems to be used to replace the richness that decoction mashing is said to add to a beer. 600g in 60L isn't excessive, but you should notice it if you know what it tastes like. It can add a tinge of red when used in higher percentages too, but it can also become cloying.

Yes I just picked up on that yeast, S-04 is a bit like using a Kia yeast for an Audi brew - That style looks quite "Mid Atlantic" and I'd actually look at using something like Wyeast Irish Ale which will let the ingredients shine without introducing too many esters.

Edit: being an American brew they didn't recommend anything like US-05 so are clearly hinting at it being more of an English or Euro Ale style.

jeddog said:
I got the recipe through beersmith forum and claim the style is an APA but the bitterness and gravity are way over. All I did was scale up to 60lts.

What yeast do you think I should use?

attachicon.gif
three-floyds-zombie-dust-clone-scaled.bsmx
Well, they are Yanks after all. ;)
Never done a ZD (Great name though :p ) but what with it being a Yank recipe & throwing around all that bitterness & gravity I would take a look at 1272.

According to a pretty good thread on another forum the yeast they use is WY1968 London ESB. They did a side by side with US04 and there seemed to be bugger all difference. Given there is about 220g of Citra in a 19L batch I don't think yeast notes will be dominating the palate.

Details here

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/3-floyds-zombie-dust-attempt-help-info-requested-245456/

I have a 19L batch due to be brewed next week. Make sure you report back when you get it in the glass Jeddog

620g of Melanoidin shouldn't dominate at that batch size. 1.2kg crystal/Mel to 16kg other grains. Should be nice and malty.

Latest posts

Back