[MEL] Looking for a brew buddy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kahlerisms

Reaction score
Hi all,

Inner eastern (Kew) based electric BIABer here.

Looking to get a bit more experience and a bit more exposure to how other people brew - if anyone's around Melbourne and having a brew day one weekend and they're willing to have a spectator/assistant, please give me a shout either via PM or otherwise I'll try to keep a very close eye on this thread. Maybe I'll even make some mates.

Happy to bring a coupla six packs or something.

I agree that grain and grape demo is a great experience. You will learn a lot and you can go away with a few goodies too.

Yeah been to two G&G BIAB demos and system wars last year. Looking more for a one on one kinda deal where I might be able to make a beery mate out of it, too.

Quite comfortable with BIAB (have been doing it myself for over a year), comfortable with starters, kegging, rehydrating, yeast rinsing, etc. Just looking to get incidental exposure to other people's setups. I suppose if I were looking to learn about something specific I'd probably list 3V/sours are of interest, but also curious about recipe development, water chemistry/PH stuff, decoction mashing, etc.

Didn't want to get too specific, just have the opportunity to spend some time with people and see how other people brew.

Sounds like joining a club might be a good fit for you.

bum said:
Sounds like joining a club might be a good fit for you.
Tried that. My club appears to be somewhat disorganised and events have a day or two's notice if they're advertised at all. Seem to be a lot of very old sub-groups within the club that are hard to break into as a club-newbie. Events don't always seem to be advertised or even open to club noobs at all.

Persevering or trying another club are certainly options, Bum. Just thought I'd throw this out there as well as I'm pretty keen and not everyone is in a club.

Maybe come check out Melbourne brewers. We are an open friendly club. Fit is everything. Otherwise worthogs maybe be an option for u.

Theres a vic xmas in july caseswap being organised atm that you could attend and meet a few people.

kahlerisms said:
... Looking more for a one on one kinda deal where I might be able to make a beery mate out of it, too.

<snip>

Didn't want to get too specific, just have the opportunity to spend some time with people and see how other people brew.
a.k.a. "The Brewmance"

As has been reiterated, come along to the July Case Swap.

There will be beer, there will be pig, and there will finally be an audience that you cannot possibly bore with your obscure brewing facts.

It's a 2 hr drive mate but you're welcome to come to a brew day at mine. I run a 3V systems with HERM's added on. There surely would be someone closer willing to offer, but just offering. Pleny of room to crash overnight if needed.
I need to get my arse into gear as i'm brewing for my sister in laws wedding, so i need to get 160 litres brewed before August. It sounds like heaps of time, but time has a habit of sneaking up on you doesn't it...

you are a true gentleman, Nibbo. Might take you up on that in a month or two when things settle down and help you prepare for that wedding :)

No drama's mate...

Just give us a bell when ya ready to go.

Cheers

Hey guys

Time to call in a favour. I've suddenly started making really bad beers. There's a bit more info here:

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/63974-keg-king-elements/page-20#entry1077000

I think they taste ashy/scorched, but before I go and spend some money on a new element, I'd love for someone with a trained palette to give two of them a go for me. The taste is pretty consistent against different recipes/yeasts (though my two most recent did sit on the yeast cake for a bit longer than I'd like)

Promise to send you home with a six pack of something tasty for your trouble.

I'm in the inner east - anyone interested? I really need to fix this problem and get back to brewing drinkable stuff.

Pop along to a brewclub meeting, youll get loads of advice.. some of it possibly even useful :lol:

Back