Megaswill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I too agree Coopers are at the top.

I dont think you can go past a good homemade beer.

1. AG
2. Partial
3. Extract / Speciality
4. Commercial
5. Extract
6. K&K

So you know what we call "megaswill" are of lower quality... and you ask us why we don't like it? This thread is a crock.
+1 to that.

Maybe Angry Scotsman is really just Darren? Looking for another fight.
This thread is like going to to Royal Dalton and saying "paper plates do the same job, Royal Dalton Sucks"
The way I see it is, if you rate Megaswill then you need to take a close look at your own Home Brewing practices.
(Steve breaks out the flame suit)

Steve

pfffssh royal doulton. only fine bone wedgewood for me :huh:. great analogy there Steve

1. AG
2. Partial
3. Extract / Speciality
4. Commercial
5. Extract
6. K&K

mate that a bit of ignorance showing through. you rank commercial megaswill above K&K? i'll just assume you mean proper commerical beer. but then again i can make K&K/kit & bits thats mistakable for AG, so again i think its a bit ambitious to rank them. IMO of course

What r u guys calling Megaswill? If its just VB and New.......it is crap, but I would not dump all commercial beer in as Megaswill. I even found a 6 pack or Lwenbru in the archives last night :eek:

Ultimately a lot of it comes down to ignorance, most people have never tried what most of use would call "real beer" and so will continue to buy what the advertisements say is beer.
Often when I go to parties I'll bring something like a corked bottle of La Fin du Monde or Saison Dupont, something completely different to what their experience of beer is. Usually it works and I get people asking where they can find stuff like that and other recommendations. :)

See I disagree with that a little bit its not all ignorance some people just like watery beer... full stop!

See I disagree with that a little bit its not all ignorance some people just like watery beer... full stop!

I agree, but why come on a Homebrew forum and bang your drum. Thats just looking for trouble IMO.

In terms of megaswill, the folks here bag it because we all want to go one better, and brew something that's way better than that stuff that's over filtered, over pasteurised, over sugared and resembles something coming out of a lab rather than a brewery. If you want to look cool at the club swigging out of clear bottle sporting the latest holographic label then more power to you.

Aussie Homebrewers respect beers that keep it simple. That's why names like Coopers get respect :beerbang:

Hopper.

Slightly OT.
I have seen more than one photo on this forum with the 'old bag of Goon' in the background. A cask of Fruity Lexia for the ladies at the BBQ...
The same people Katie's husband is installing Solar Panels for, who drink VB, and eats scones off the Royal Dalton, are probably posting on another forum about the 'common folk' that would purchase wine for less than $20 a bottle.
I know we all love craft beer, but each to their own, it's all about making money for the big companies. :icon_cheers:

If everyone who drank beer demanded high quality craft made with fresh hop flowers; Just imagine how expensive and in short supply Hops would be. I think we should all shut the fu#k up and keep it to ourselves. Secret squirrel from now on, tell no one how good our beer is. :p

Slightly OT.
I have seen more than one photo on this forum with the 'old bag of Goon' in the background. A cask of Fruity Lexia for the ladies at the BBQ...
The same people Katie's husband is installing Solar Panels for, who drink VB, and eats scones off the Royal Dalton, are probably posting on another forum about the 'common folk' that would purchase wine for less than $20 a bottle.
I know we all love craft beer, but each to their own, it's all about making money for the big companies. :icon_cheers:

If everyone who drank beer demanded high quality craft made with fresh hop flowers; Just imagine how expensive and in short supply Hops would be. I think we should all shut the fu#k up and keep it to ourselves. Secret squirrel from now on, tell no one how good our beer is. :p

Ill drink to that!!!! actually Im thirsty home time yet.. :icon_chickcheers:

Personally I think a large number of drinkers in this country go off beer (ie drink spirits) for good is because they're exposed to a market that is flooded with poorly made beer that is hard to drink at temps above 2 degrees.
Almost any cold beer is great, don't get me wrong, but the Aussie beer market seems to be based around beers that taste drinkable only when they're ice cold. Which is half to reason why alot of blokes dread drinking the 'dregs' of a bottle of Megaswill. If it were a good beer, you'd be licking the glass!

appleButter_crock.jpg

Almost full.

stagga.

Bostons got a point I have to agree with! :icon_cheers:

VB, Tooheys, Carlton etc all have this chemical aftertaste, nil or little flavour and no aroma... Other than that of dirty sock water...

I'd like to point out that it's predominantly Australian brewed megaswill that suffers from what (I imagine) sock water would taste like. Most North American varieties are just lacking in flavour, and dirty-sock.

(Disclaimer: I'm about to head out for a 6 pack of whatever beer-like beverage is cheapest at the local!)

The analogy I like to use is to compare home cooked meals with the best ingredients and technique to McDonalds.

Sure, If you're starving the first burger or two almost resembles food. If you're not starving and eat it chances are it will end up in the bin.

Given the chance most people with the right tools and ingredients and know how will always bang up better tasting food than you can buy in most restaurants. (McDonalds is NOT a restaurant, it's a process.)

Megaswill = cheapest legal ingredients, fast turnover of raw materials, maximum profits for shareholders. "Why change the recipe when the suckers customers like it" First rule of business or was it the third...

Anyway, what was I talking about? ...That's right...Beer...wanders off to get another megaswill from the fridge (Coopers at least :rolleyes: )

(Disclaimer: I'm about to head out for a 6 pack of whatever beer-like beverage is cheapest at the local!)

Hollandia can normally be had for $10-11 for a sixer....

I just don't get the people who walk past the German lagers and pilsners which are often sold for $13-15 for a sixer and grab the $16-17 Carlton Draught/VB/New......Hell even Monteiths range is better and it's only $14...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back