Megaswill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
We have all read about the Megaswill beers on this forum, and a lot of people have openly canned the beers that are produced from the Big Breweries But WHY?

I personally am not some one who drinks Vb , carlton Draught, Tooheys New, Heineken or corona Etc but i will also not say that they are shit beers. I may not like the flavour or taste but that dosen't necesarily make it a shit beer.
If you were judgeing these beers in a competition they would rate fairly well as they fit into there catorgories and they rarely if ever have a brewing fault or infection.

I think it would be more beneficial on this forum if people explained what they don't like about a beer instead of bagging a beer out with out puting any real thought into there post.

i am sure this will cause some disagrements but lets discuss and have some fun

Cheers

hmmm lets see....could it be that they use adjucts? (suguar etc)....or maybe iso hops (liquid hop extract)....or maybe the fact they mislead customers by calling them names they are not, draught, bitter etc...when they are clearly lagers.

or just the fact that they are $40 a case when i can make a all grain beer with proper hops that tastes about 10 times better to me for next to nicks....of course this is all just my opion, you decide.

in saying all that i nailed a carlton draught with my parma at lunch and even had a budwiser last night....why you ask? cause it was FREE!

I will give Megaswill some credit, the taste is always consistent. Which cant be easy.

The problem is, is that this consistant taste, tastes like crap.

VB, Tooheys, Carlton etc all have this chemical aftertaste, nil or little flavour and no aroma... Other than that of dirty sock water...

Why would I can them when they taste bad coming out of the bottle?

If you were judgeing these beers in a competition they would rate fairly well as they fit into there catorgories and they rarely if ever have a brewing fault or infection.
Correct, but the classifications came into existance because the unpleasant beer existed first, not the other way round.

can we please not.....

Say your piece that is what we are here for.

Another point i wan't to make is, although these beer may be mass produced with Adjunct and the like, at the end of the day they are getting people to drink beer and hopefully not Pre mix sugar drinks. Most of us on here would have probably started off on these style of beers.

There is probably only one "megaswill" that I will drink with pleasure, and even then I would struggle to call it megaswill as it uniquely (.sp?) defines the australian style and thats Coopers!

Anything from CUB is :icon_vomit:
Not a fan of anything from NSW either.
The TAS stuff is reasonable.

But give me a Sparkling Ale and I'm a happy man. In fact, I have six in the fridge to drink tonight to propagate the yeast out of :icon_cheers:

Angry Scotsman: This same thread comes up at least once a month, turns into an absolute shit-fight, and no-one wins. I'm not criticising you for bringing up the subject, as you're new here and may not have seen one, just informing you that it's a very tired subject!

Most of the ribbing that megaswill gets is due to it tasting pretty horrible when it is not served freezing cold and fizzy and when it is served in this fashion, all anyone can taste is freezing cold (basically nothing, taste buds are numbed) and fizzy. We as a community are about making the better beer; beer you can smell, taste, and enjoy for more than "cold and fizzy".

i like coopers, although i find it is kinda bland, it's my default choice if there's nothing else worth drinking. otherwise, aussie megaswill makes me ashamed to be australian

Say your piece that is what we are here for.

Another point i wan't to make is, although these beer may be mass produced with Adjunct and the like, at the end of the day they are getting people to drink beer and hopefully not Pre mix sugar drinks. Most of us on here would have probably started off on these style of beers.
No - they are getting people to drink something that they call beer. If consistency is your thing, then megaswill surely does a good job of that. As .DJ. said, that consistency comes at the cost of flavour. Don't mistake the opinion of the people on this forum for just high-brow snobbery - the big breweries aren't blind to the fact that what they brew is intended to be drunk cold and fast, and in large amounts. Hence the term 'megaswill'. They then go the extra mile to do this as cheap as possible, while producing a consistent product.

As for pushing people off premixes and onto beer - I think you should look at who makes the premixes, and who owns those companies... not a lot of suprises really.

Craft brewing is about making delicious beers. I'm not saying 'don't drink megaswill', but with better options available at comparable prices, I'll make my choice something decent.

If you really want to continue trolling, how about 'those politicians aren't so bad, they're just doing their jobs'...

Edit: Speeling misteak. Nothing can possiblie go wrong...

no such thing as a bad beer.............some are just better than others :)

no such thing as a bad beer.............some are just better than others :)
Don't make me whip out my picture of 'Geelong Pale'... Just looking at it makes me sick. There are indeed 'bad beers'.

spot on. I actually enjoy a cold fizzy beer that freezes the backs of the eyeballs, in the right context. To me there is nothing more mouth-gasmic than doing a five K walk on the surfside in the summer, a swim to cool off then take my parched self to the drive through bottlo at the Blue Pacific Hotel, grab a tallie of Melbourne Bitter (the only CUB I like), drive up to the lookout, sit overlooking the ocean and then slam the frozen nectar into the back of the throat. At that moment I would elbow past any number of Leffes or Yorkshire Bitters to get to my frozen goddess.

:icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

I even brew every third brew something in very similar style as a lawnmower special (yes and I put in 30 percent dex :super: )

On the other hand when I accompany the Mrs to the pokies and have to choose between the overpriced Fosters and Lions on tap and sit nursing a flat schooner in a headmaster glass at the Queen of the Nile or Jetsetters machine, all I can taste is mouse cage and dog piss.

Horses for courses.

I reckon Coopers is over rated personally, but one of the better megaswills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back