Medium Regulator And Italian Spiral Flame Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mschippr

Reaction score
Just testing out my gear in preparation for my first AG.

While doing my evaporation test i have been trying to get my burner to be efficient.

I have noticed that adjusting the medium regulator doesnt make much difference to the flame.

The flame is blue and sitting 1mm from the burner bed. 1cm under the pot the flame is red and licking up the side of the pot by 1cm in some areas. Some holes in the burner are going on and off. (FYI its a bit breezy today)

Is this normal? I have tried adjusting the air intake on the spiral burner but it hasn't made much difference either.

Thanks,
MARK.

Good luck with your first AG Mark,

I just bought one of these too.

Was going to give it a run today, but it's too damn hot in Brissy to do anything...

I noticed when I put it together that there are 3 things to "play with" when testing the italian burner and the adjustable reg.

1) The dial on your reg (obvious I know).
2) The adjustable sleeve on the shank of the burner.
3) The gas fitting that screws into the shank can also be adjusted...but the instructions say full on position while in use - full off when not in use...

I'm guessing # 2 might be the issue (amount of Oxygen mixing with your LPG)...Edit just read your post again, maybe # 3 then?

I'll let you know if I find similar when I test mine.

PB :beer:

I've now got the adjustable sleeve open all the way and am attempting to wind up the burner adjustment some more. I dont know if it can go "full on" though.. i wont have any eye brows left... ;)

I found before i turned on the media regulator if you wind it to "decrease" to much the whole adjuster tap comes off.... so im a bit unsure if i want to have that happen when its running... again, i like my eye brows. ;)

Its make a lot of fluttering noises, i dont think its that windy....

Let me know how you go.

Mark.

I've now got the adjustable sleeve open all the way and am attempting to wind up the burner adjustment some more. I dont know if it can go "full on" though.. i wont have any eye brows left... ;)

I found before i turned on the media regulator if you wind it to "decrease" to much the whole adjuster tap comes off.... so im a bit unsure if i want to have that happen when its running... again, i like my eye brows. ;)

Its make a lot of fluttering noises, i dont think its that windy....

Let me know how you go.

Mark.
Hey Mark,

I just finished playing with this setup outside and am ready to give it a go with a brew (about to mash out).

Turns out that the dial on the gas fitting is used to dial up the required flame. The instructions said open full to ignite...but use to adjust flame. I can see what you mean regarding ignition of your eyebrows. I've got a setting and am leaving it for fine adjustments once lit..

Same goes for the regulator. I'd say I've got it at 3/4..

Now the thing that made the most difference was the air intake sleeve.
I started mucking around with this fully closed and all i got was yellow flame no matter what I adjusted.
It needs to be opned up. I have it 3/4 open and now have a great blue flame that can be adjusted with the dial or regulator.

I'll let you know how the boil goes.

Edit Spelling: I did notice that with large wind gusts some of the flames went out and came back again. I'd say use house bricks to protect the flame from gusts if you intend to use it outside. Have done many brews this way with a 3 ring burner and had great success even on the windiest days.

Cherio. :rolleyes:

PB

I always control from the LPG tank tap, the medium regulator seems useless for controlling output.

Burner update.

I had to add water at 30 min mark as evaporation is huge with my new burner and pot combo.

Other than that all is OK... The biggest problem is having to sweep up all the paint from the stand after it's first use.

Heres a picture (the video is better but won't let me upload) of the thing working. Notice the smoke from the paint burning off the burner stand wafting around!

IMG_1872.jpg

PB :rolleyes:

i highly suggest you raise it up off the floor a bit more. i didnt the first time i used mine and broke crozdog's patio

i highly suggest you raise it up off the floor a bit more. i didnt the first time i used mine and broke crozdog's patio
Today was the trial run, eventually brewstand will happen, but am stuck with concrete floor of garage for a few more brews..

Concrete should be OK shouldn't it ???

I noticed that the ground was still really hot hrs after the flameout.

PB :)

it was concrete that i broke

it was concrete that i broke
Does everyone else have theirs bolted to a brewstand or raised up on bricks or something to avoid the huge heat transfer?

Food for thought anyway - thanks barls. I'm pretty sure SWMBO wouldn't be to happy about a cracked garage floor.

Cheers,

PB :beerbang:

i use hebaul(sp) blocks with mine now to raise it up about a foot

Does everyone else have theirs bolted to a brewstand or raised up on bricks or something to avoid the huge heat transfer?

Food for thought anyway - thanks barls. I'm pretty sure SWMBO wouldn't be to happy about a cracked garage floor.

Cheers,

Raise it!
Its the best gas burner IMHO, but needs to be raised further off the ground than the stand provides.

Cheers,
BB

just lay a metal sheet under the burner, that avoids burning the ground and also reflects the heat, so the efficiency goes up.

just lay a metal sheet under the burner, that avoids burning the ground and also reflects the heat, so the efficiency goes up.
I was wondering if that might work.

I'll give that a go next time Zwickle,

Cheers,

I was wondering if that might work.

I'll give that a go next time Zwickle,

Cheers,

I can tell ya for sure, yes it works.

...and if youre going to build a windshield that works similar to a chimney, it even helps more

see:

2858.JPG

2860.JPG

Cheers :beer:

Latest posts

Back